LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

carry pets in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 01:27 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carry pets in trunk?

We finally got our LS. It's an '06 UL. Can we carry our mutt in the trunk, as in is it heated and cooled? I remember something about it in the owners manual but I can't find it again.

Thanks,
David
Old 12-10-08, 01:54 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you think no more of your pets than to haul them in the trunk why have them? Come on. The trunks in our cars are not climate controled.
Old 12-10-08, 02:35 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Okay, calm down you two.

I think DNC is correct is saying that the trunk is not a safe place for your pet. If you have a carrying cage and your pet is use to traveling in it, then the trunk would be okay for short trips if it is not to hot/cold outside. Although I think it would be a little intimidating for some pets being a dark unknow space.

I share the same conscern as David though. I have a 18 pound Puggle(half beagle half pug) that I nearly refuse to let in my car. I dont care so much about dog hair getting all over the place as I do about her scratching the wood on the door panels while she has her nose pressed against the glass.

i was thinking about purchasing a seat belt extender (of buying the seat belt hook from a junk yard) and making a leash out of it. So I could "seat belt" my dog to the middle of the back seat so she could be comfortable, lay down, stretch her legs, but not go near the wood on the door panels or hop forward to the center console.
Old 12-10-08, 02:42 PM
DNC
Advanced

Trunk is no place for a dog or any other pet period. I agree the carrier should solve the problem. Otherwise let the dog drive and the owner get in the trunk.
Old 12-10-08, 04:18 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
If you think no more of your pets than to haul them in the trunk why have them? Come on. The trunks in our cars are not climate controled.
Only the cool box is climate controlled, has to be a pretty small dog
Old 12-10-08, 06:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not use a pet carrier and leave in the rear seat area? Unless you have a Great Dane, then a carrier should be much better than the trunk.

If you MUST put the pet in the trunk, then you could open the "pass thru" on the middle rest area and get some air in there.

Personally... I wouldn't do it and I don't have pets, so it's not like I'm a dog or cat lover.
Old 12-10-08, 06:51 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Yea,...I can agree w/ DNC. I wouldn't put my pet in the trunk...thats just wrong. If its about protecting your interior, and depending what size the pet is. You can lay some blankets in the back seat for them to relax or just chill on the floor inside the car ( again depending on the size ). Or just not take them at all. And GS3Tek is right, the only cooling thing is if you have a UL Package which comes w/ a cooler/mini fridge in the back seat which is also located near the trunk.
Old 12-10-08, 06:59 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Junction Produce need to make a VIP dog basket for the back seat.

Dog in the trunk thats just wrong
Old 12-10-08, 07:53 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DNC
Trunk is no place for a dog or any other pet period. I agree the carrier should solve the problem. Otherwise let the dog drive and the owner get in the trunk.
Lmao!!!! that was to funny!!!!
Old 12-10-08, 08:49 PM
David M
Driver

We have a fiberglass carrier, but it will rub everything even with a sheet underneath. We'd have to have a thick quilt or something to protect the car, on 5 sides. Additionally, when we get where we're going, we need to carry more people and there is no room for the dog. We can't leave her here all weekend by herself, either. She's only 12 weeks old so too young for a kennel.
So we can move the mini-fridge out of the way and create a pass-through. That is the news I was looking for.

And if you'll read DNC's first response, it should be clear why I responded in kind.

Thanks or the help, folks. For the short trips while carrying others, she can stay in the fiberglass box.
Old 12-10-08, 09:02 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

don't forget about exhaust gases that pass into the trunk that will slowly kill your pet. If you can afford a ls maybe you should look into a pet car like i have olds SUV is perfect.
Old 12-10-08, 09:03 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys,

Lets talk about the issue without directing any insults at each other. If you are unable to discuss the topic in non-insulting manner, please exit the thread. Thank you.
Old 12-10-08, 09:05 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

the trunk gets a very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. it's probably the same as leaving your dog in the car with the car off on a hot/cold summer/winter day. i say it's a big NO NO.
Old 12-10-08, 09:09 PM
David M
Driver

Gs, even with the passage portal open through the back seat? It's not like she'll be in there for hours. I've never heard of exhaust gases leaking into the trunk of a car in good shape. Is this common? If it's in the trunk it will certainly get into the cabin, too. Now I gotta go find a CO detector for all my cars. They're about a hundred bucks a pop. <sigh>

Thanks,
David
Old 12-10-08, 09:47 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the rather rare occasions we have to transport our Maltese, we put her in a soft canvas carrier (with an aluminum frame) with a couple of fluffy beach towels she can burrow into. The carrier is latched into the center seat's belt and we leave a bit of the top panel unzipped so the backseat rider can reach in to sooth the terrified passenger. The animal does not travel well, but with a little "hands on" time will eventually relax and go to sleep.

Two things we've done to get her accustomed to the carrier:

1.) We leave it out for a couple of days before and after a trip to allow her to get used to it - and she eventually crawls in for a nap or two. She doesn't have any kind of problem with the carrier but at some point in her life she must have had a bad experience in a car.

2.) For a day or two before a trip we take turns sitting or sleeping on her clean beach towels so they are thoroughly saturated with our scent. The warmth and familiar scents have a calming effect and soon even our unhappy passenger is snoozing blissfully.

It's essential to secure the carrier to prevent your pet from becoming a projectile in a panic stop or an accident. A carrier, particularly a soft one that is just large enough to allow your pet to turn around, will make the animal feel secure and prevent most types of injury in an accident.

Quick Reply: carry pets in trunk?