LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Strange...Window Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 03:44 AM
general98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange...Window Noise

I have posted before about a very noticeable window creak that comes from the driver side windows (front and back). It is pretty loud over bumps and drives me crazy. It has been more noticeable in the cold, dry air we have had here recently.

Yesterday, it was quite warm and rained - and the noise was gone. I expect it to return when it dries back out. SO, any suggestions on a fix? Should I take it to a window shop? Does it sound like it is sealant related? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-08, 08:38 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

are you talking about a rubber rubbing sound from the doors. I have a rubbing sound like that from the door seals that i mostly notice when going into driveways at angles. I have waxed the door jams where the seals contact the paint and some talcum power on the seals
Old 12-12-08, 02:01 PM
general98
Rookie

I may try that but I think it is window related because if I roll the window down slightly the noise goes away. Of course, then I get wind noise.
Old 12-12-08, 08:17 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

check to make sure your window when it goes up that is hitting the top window seal even. if not then you window may have to be adjusted behind the door panel.
Old 12-13-08, 10:34 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The window needs to be adjusted. Take it to the dealer and have them do a window alignment and that should fix it. There was a thread somewhere here at one point where someone reported this fixed the problem.
Old 12-13-08, 12:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

By any chance did that door get into an accident?
Old 12-14-08, 06:11 AM
general98
Rookie

That door did get into an accident - do you think the window alignment will still work?
Old 12-17-08, 04:41 AM
lotus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My drivers and left rear passenger windows do the exact same thing, down to the temperature affecting when they creak and if I roll the window up and down just a tad it stops.

I noticed a design defect in the plastic housing the holds the seals, the two doors that creak have plastic housing that the seal appears slightly warped and the seal on the drivers doesn't link up perfectly with the housing and if you try to force it, it pops back out.

I have an '04 and my mother has an '06 and her car is superior to mine in refinement, as they likely tweaked the 04/05's as her doors sound so solid and air tight and mine seemed fine until I saw how different hers sounded. Oddly, my 99 LS had the same sound as my mothers 06, but my 04 is not as nice.

Oh well, I was going to figure out how to remove it and lubricate it, because sometimes I have to turn on the radio or I will obsess over it.
Old 12-17-08, 10:32 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by general98
I have posted before about a very noticeable window creak that comes from the driver side windows (front and back). It is pretty loud over bumps and drives me crazy. It has been more noticeable in the cold, dry air we have had here recently.

Yesterday, it was quite warm and rained - and the noise was gone. I expect it to return when it dries back out. SO, any suggestions on a fix? Should I take it to a window shop? Does it sound like it is sealant related? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi, It's the nature of the beast. My parents had an 04 RX330, they now have an 07 RX350, and I have an 06 LS430 Ultra; they all do it and have from day one. There is much room for improvement there.
Old 12-17-08, 11:42 AM
waxman
Pole Position

i had da same problem to my car, i dont know wats wrong!
Old 12-17-08, 03:04 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I have the same issue with my rear drivers side door (an occasionally have noticed noise with the drivers door). Over large bumps in the road, speed bumps, and driveways, I noticed a a rattle over the door. I would really describe it as a rattle or sqeak. The noise is also resolved by rolling the window up, then down just a smidgeon. I havn't noticed it get worse or better with weather.

I rolled the window all the way up, sat in the back seat, and pushed up on the top frame of the door. It's coming from the seal around the door for sure. I assume it's rubbing on the metal and moving around making the noise. Not sure what a perm. fix would be, but i'm sure lubing the seal with talc powder or grease(that won't damage paint) would prevent it.

I'd be curious to see if waxing that part of the paint helps. big_blzr94, did this help?
Old 12-18-08, 06:22 PM
general98
Rookie

Any feedback from those who have fixed it would be much appreciated. Drives me crazy and can't be that hard of a fix - just need to know what to work on.
Old 05-20-09, 12:49 PM
jghassell
Driver School Candidate

Hi all - sorry to drag up an old thread, but I recently experienced this noise on my car. Took it into the dealer and they applied some silicon lubricant and sealant to the window seals, and it fixed it right up. I left it in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Easy fix and covered under warranty, of course.
Old 05-21-09, 06:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe this is just a silly question but can anyone describe what product to buy in the auto parts store (silicone lubricant) and how to apply it properly to fix this noise? mines only does it when i'm riding around on a really low setting (datasystems controller) and go over some rolling bumps , where the car frame torques or twists at an un-even angle, or a bump on only one side of the car... does this make sense??
Old 05-21-09, 12:24 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I can tell you that it's the window and the seal that surrounds it. I cannot tell you what works. I can tell you that applying "Gunk Silicone Spray" does NOT fix the problem. I heard that silicone would work so I'm interested in finding out exactly what product works on it as well.

Quick Reply: Strange...Window Noise