Certified Pre-owned help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 08:38 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified Pre-owned help needed

Hi Folks,

Long time reader first time poster! Just bought a 2003 fully loaded (Nav Levinson, etc) with 60K miles for 15300. The car is a beauty and a dream come true for me!

Here is my question: The previous owner bought the car as a CPO from a lexus dealer. Now based on what I read the CPO is NON TRANSFERRABLE. However the car is CPO till late 2010 or 100K miles. Lexus has updated their central database with my information and when I spoke to their main headoffice, the person told me that the determining factor is if the car was purchased from a lexus dealership (which it wasn't by me). Now what if something happens to the vehicle and I take it in for repair, technicaly its CPO and I am the new owner in their system.....how will they be able to tell if they could approve the repairs or not?

It totally blows that almost all the other luxury automakers provide fully transferrable CPO's and service contracts but lexus (who are know for their reliable vehicles don't). What a shame!

Viper
Old 12-13-08, 10:33 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding CPO tranferability it looks like it can't be done. From the Lexus Financial website:
QUOTE:
New CPO Program
CPO vehicles sold after 5/1/98 having 0 - 60,000 miles and less than 5 years old fall under the NEW CPO Program. CPO Limited Warranty is 3 years from the CPO sale or 100,000 total miles, whichever comes first. Roadside Assistance is valid for 3 years from the CPO purchase or 100,000 total miles. CPO warranties are non-transferable. Only an authorized Lexus dealer can sell a CPO vehicle.

I know that the factory extended warranty can be transferred to a new owner for a $50 fee. I verified that before I bought the extended Lexus warranty.

Last edited by wanderer99; 12-13-08 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-13-08, 12:10 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99

I know that the factory extended warranty can be transferred to a new owner for a $50 fee. I verified that before I bought the extended Lexus warranty.
Another confirmation from me about transferring the extended warranty

I can't think of another way about whether the repair will be covered or not is to simply ask them.
They'll tell you on the spot.
Old 12-13-08, 04:41 PM
vipergts
Rookie

Thanks very much for your responses both!

Viper
Old 12-16-08, 10:59 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in exactly the same situation once...
Do not worry about your name in the central database.
When I had a problem and needed a warranty fix, I called into the same dealership where the previous owner used to go and made an appointment under the previous owner's name. When you go there, you would just have to become him (her) for that day (or say your brother/sister sent you)...

Hope this helps
Old 12-16-08, 02:44 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexRX
When you go there, you would just have to become him (her) for that day (or say your brother/sister sent you)...
I like that idea. But what if he bought the car miles away? Can he still use the old owners name in other lexus dealer to have the work done under warranty?
Old 12-16-08, 04:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, if the vehicle was "certified" by Lexus at the point of CPO that it will go 3/100K from that point, then what does it matter who has had it since, or how someone may have beaten the carp out of it? If the previous person drove the thing like a mad bull and it breaks in my hands, it's still 3/100K from the time it was certified. Just more manufacturer bull to get more money some how.
Old 12-17-08, 09:25 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Thanks my LEX, but the problem is that I am in VA while the previous owner was in AZ. Like someone just posted, it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't cover repairs as the car is CPO for another 1.5 years or till 100K (40K more to go). This should be an embarrasment to the entire CPO program that Lexus has...

Originally Posted by myLexRX
I was in exactly the same situation once...
Do not worry about your name in the central database.
When I had a problem and needed a warranty fix, I called into the same dealership where the previous owner used to go and made an appointment under the previous owner's name. When you go there, you would just have to become him (her) for that day (or say your brother/sister sent you)...

Hope this helps