LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension....may be more prevalent than Lexus will admit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 08:19 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Is there a link on procedures of how to do this? Can I do it with just one set of ramp?

Thanks,
you can do it on the ground. just turn the front wheels to the right and adjust the left front sensor the turn to the left and do the right the same amount you want to shorten the link. the rear you will have to go from the rear bumper area and lay down adjust the rears down. DO NOT ADJUST IT WITH THE CAR RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! it goes slow but it can still come down on you.
Old 01-07-09, 08:39 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Big Blzr94
Old 01-07-09, 11:10 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Is there a link on procedures of how to do this? Can I do it with just one set of ramp?

Thanks,
You do not need any ramps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...de-height.html
Old 01-07-09, 01:24 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Boomer
Old 01-07-09, 01:29 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow...your issue sounds crazy...I'm hoping I don't have any issues w/ mine.
Old 01-07-09, 03:45 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Picked it up today

Hopefully the fix works. Brought it into the dealer on Monday afternoon - all detailed up. It poured down rain Mon. evening, Tuesday, and this a.m. Picked it up this afternoon, and the service advisor had them keep it indoors the whole time as not to dirty it up. That's good service.

When I was leaving, he told me he hoped I would call to say hello & make service appointments, but he really hopes I don't have to call him with "it's still broke!"

They replaced a bushing that holds the sensor on the left rear wheel.

I will let y'all know.

p.s. Shopping extended warranties post CPO running out
Old 01-08-09, 04:49 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Question Ummmm Don't Thinks It's Fixed

Sitting a little low on left & way high front vs back. Could it be that they need to manually set the car up post repair to calibrate the ECU, so that the ECU & sensors know where they are supposed to be from then on?
Old 01-08-09, 06:10 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try adjusting the rods to level it out.
Old 01-08-09, 03:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
The dealer claims that air suspension problems are "so rare." My guess is that the air suspension problems are not rare. If they are so rare, why did Lexus not use air suspension on any versions of the LS460.
Air suspension is optional on the LS460L and standard on the LS600hL. They fixed the problems on the LS430 though, the new ones don't sit uneven anymore.

Note: The Acura NSX ate tires in a ridiculous manner - if I believe correctly approx every 5,000mi. Acura agreed to pay for tires for the life of the car.
Early years NSX ate tires fast was due to very aggressive factory alignment settings for aggressive handling. Acura offered to realign the car to a less aggressive settings for free. No NSX owner got free tires for life. I was really into NSX for a few years back then
Old 01-12-09, 04:31 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Question Air Susp Fixes...also, mine isn't fixed....visit number six

You mentioned that they fixed the problems on the LS430. Do you know how? That info would be a huge help.

I wonder if an air shock can leak to a certain point & stop leaking. We went out of town this weekend. I am pretty sure I measure the LS prior to leaving. We took my wife's car, and when we got back yesterday afternoon the right rear of the car was lower & the space between wheel & well was again - different. If the car drops post square to uneven without turning it on, etc. Should tell us something?

Any info/details on the LS430 air fix that was done will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-09, 09:03 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You mentioned that they fixed the problems on the LS430. Do you know how? That info would be a huge help.
What I meant was, Lexus got rid of the LS430's uneven issue on the new LS460L/LS600hL's air suspension. Lexus never address the uneven issue on any of the LS430s, even the last 06' model year LS430UL sit uneven from the showroom floor.

I wonder if an air shock can leak to a certain point & stop leaking. We went out of town this weekend. I am pretty sure I measure the LS prior to leaving. We took my wife's car, and when we got back yesterday afternoon the right rear of the car was lower & the space between wheel & well was again - different. If the car drops post square to uneven without turning it on, etc. Should tell us something?
That means your air shock are leaking. My car never change height when the car is off.

Any info/details on the LS430 air fix that was done will be greatly appreciated.
The only fix is adjusting the height sensors yourself like I mention before. But since your air shock are leaking, get that replace first before you go adjust the sensors.
Old 01-12-09, 11:46 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default I cannot say for sure that the shock is leaking

It seems like every repair ends in the same result.....right rear sagging, so I believe that you are correct - manual adjustment of sensors, so the ECU/susp. system knows where to start.

Any other ideas appreciated. I am trying to find out how to contact Lexus.
Old 01-12-09, 12:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

It seems like every repair ends in the same result.....right rear sagging, so I believe that you are correct - manual adjustment of sensors, so the ECU/susp. system knows where to start.

Any other ideas appreciated. I am trying to find out how to contact Lexus.
From the symptom you said, that the car sagged/lowered itself when it sit for a few days, that means your air bags are leaking.

If I am you, tell Lexus that the car sagged/lowered itself when it sit for a few days, they will replace the air strut for you. When that is done, go home and adjust the height sensor yourself.
Old 01-12-09, 05:05 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default I agree, but....

They claim that the air shock is not leaking. Audi Allroads would have that problem - a pinhole leak that would take a long to totally leak down. Also could be an air line.

I finally called Lexus USA today. You would think that their warranty administration would have allready raised a flag after paying for six repairs on the air suspension.

I hope I don't anger the dealer by doing this, but I am totally frustrated. Their quality should include the ability to repair problems in a reasonable time frame, and the dealer should have involved Lexus factory a long time ago. Also, the LS is a fairly expensive car.
Old 01-12-09, 05:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I totally understand your frustration

Your only problem here is the dealer is incompetent, your car is fine, all machines have problems, it just depends on how many.

They claim that the air shock is not leaking. Audi Allroads would have that problem - a pinhole leak that would take a long to totally leak down. Also could be an air line.
What the dealer claim is irrelevant, they couldn't fix it after 6 visits, you still believe what they tell you?

It is simple, the air bags hold the car up. The car sag down is because the bags are leaking, what else can it be?

I finally called Lexus USA today. You would think that their warranty administration would have allready raised a flag after paying for six repairs on the air suspension.
They don't care unless you complain.

I hope I don't anger the dealer by doing this, but I am totally frustrated. Their quality should include the ability to repair problems in a reasonable time frame, and the dealer should have involved Lexus factory a long time ago. Also, the LS is a fairly expensive car.
From my experience, the dealer don't like to talk to the factory. Dealers are idiots, if you don't want to be frustrated, do your own research to figure out the problems on your car, then tell the dealer and Lexus USA exactly what's wrong with your car and they will fix it. Now a days, I don't even talk to the dealer anymore, I call Lexus USA first, it makes things easier. It is pointless to talk to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension....may be more prevalent than Lexus will admit