LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension....may be more prevalent than Lexus will admit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 04:47 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Air Suspension....may be more prevalent than Lexus will admit

I have had an air suspension problem that my dealer has been struggling to repair. Car doesn't like to sit square. They have replaced a lot of parts over time (ECU, all sensors, etc). Worked for about nine months, but the problem returned the other day. This is visit number five or six. Now it's a bushing that holds the sensor on the rear left wheel, and the dealer is trying to tell me that it's because of my driveway - it is fairly steep; however, I am sure Lexus knew some owners would have steep driveways.

My big concern is that once out of warranty, these problems will be outrageously expensive, and I don't believe that I need to carry that burden.

The dealer claims that air suspension problems are "so rare." My guess is that the air suspension problems are not rare. If they are so rare, why did Lexus not use air suspension on any versions of the LS460.

Is it just me, or do others agree?

Note: The Acura NSX ate tires in a ridiculous manner - if I believe correctly approx every 5,000mi. Acura agreed to pay for tires for the life of the car.
If the air suspension problem is not "rare," then Lexus should warranty the suspension for far longer than standard or CPO.
Old 12-18-08, 05:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem sounds rare.
I heard people have problem with air before, but very few of us have experience it.

Once out of warranty, and the problem occours, maybe just switch to coil and springs, they are cheaper and done with the problem once for all.

Ohh, btw, LS460 does offered with air as well.
Old 12-18-08, 07:24 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Talking Conversion......can't be done

The service writer at the Lexus dealership told me today that "you can't convert an air suspension car to coil springs."

This begs the question whether he has a clue.......

New tires yesterday....I told him that I would bring the car in for the air suspension repair after the new tires were on. He insisted that the dealership do the alignment ("because we're the best at aligning a Lexus"). The tire guys I use have been in the business for a long time (2nd gen), and they love cars. Owner races, and is avid about the business - pride in work etc.

He said to go along with their BS, and then come back and he will take the measurements. Picked it up....seems fine, but the steering wheel is a little off center.

Come on, coil spring conversion...can't be done. If a Lexus dealer service guy says, it must be so.

p.s.Where can I buy the conversion stuff?
Old 12-18-08, 07:41 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

what year is yours?
Old 12-18-08, 08:08 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default 2002

Other than this problem, the car has been outstanding. 52,000 miles, and I've kept it well - Zymol Carbon wax with Zymol Destiny on the leading edges. Put a clearbra on it.

Hate to have to get rid of it because they can't solve my issue. There must be a way to contact Lexus USA to talk to tech people there.
Old 12-18-08, 08:16 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car was sitting lower on the right rear when i bought it. all i did was adjust the rear sensors to make her sit level. I then readjusted the front to bring it down around 1 1/4 inches. all it takes is a tape and a ten mm wrench use the one in your tool kit.
Old 12-18-08, 09:51 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't change to coil over unless the problem occurs again. You issues sound suspicious that the Lexus dealer cant fix. Like big_blzr94 mentions above, all 4 corners are adjustable and can be adjusted in a few minute of time. Maybe you need to take it into another Lexus Dealer to have them look at it, unless you are in an area there is only one dealer.

Maybe your dealer is looking for warranty dollars for themselves to put parts into you car

There is air suspension on the LS460 as blacksc400 mentions above and can utilize a Datasystem controller too so you can make the adjustment in the car
Old 12-23-08, 05:02 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Unhappy My service writer has a theory.....pretty funny one too

His theory as to why my Ultra is having problems is because - "you have a steep driveway which then makes a fairly hard right before you go into the garage." Huh?????

My last Ultra used the exact driveway, and it never had a problem. My wifes Audi A8 with air suspension has no problems. She actually uses the same driveway.

Is it time to ask to speak to a Lexus district rep? My next visit (when that bushing comes in will make it visit number 7). I can't imagine that Lexus is enjoying paying all these warranty claims.
Old 12-23-08, 05:18 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know I been thinkin bout an ls430 with the air suspension and was wondering how reliable it was. I actually logged on today for the first time so I could research it. And then I stumble upon this thread as soon as I log on. I also have a steep driveway so Im wondering if Id be makin a good choice to get the ls. How many other ppl have had this problem?
Old 12-23-08, 06:29 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as you document the dates, complaints, conversations, names & repairs "in-warranty, you have a leg up on the dealership and ultimately Lexus. If they balk "out-of-warranty", then litigate.
Old 12-23-08, 06:33 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a steep driveway into my garage and I've never had an issue. They should be able to adjust the sensors individually until it's leveled. If you search you will even find that some members have played with their sensors to make the car sit lower overall. Looks like you need to go to a different dealer.
Old 12-23-08, 08:05 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Other dealer is quite a distance

I think the driveway excuse is a bunch of horse%$&^.

If they can get my suspension repaired, my guess is that it will be very reliable for a long time. I talked to the Audi service writer today. The Lexus dealership and Porsche/Audi are owned by the same company, and all are in the same complex (BMW and Range Rover as well).

Audi service writer really knows his stuff - whenever I take the Audi in, he is totally knowledgeable, etc. He said that the driveway was bull, and he suggested talking to the service manager & then to Lexus. He said the message to the service manager is simple: I want my problem taken care of, and I want satisfaction.

I miss the past ultra (it got totaled by some *&%hole who ran a red light and t-boned me). It was 100% trouble free - perfect specimin.
Old 01-06-09, 03:41 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Supposedly Fixed

Supposedly fixed......they said a bushing that held the sensor on one of the wheels was missing, so the sensor couldn't level that wheel.

I'll pick up the car tomorrow & we'll see.

Hope it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-09, 05:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, let us know what turns out!
Old 01-06-09, 07:17 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_blzr94
my car was sitting lower on the right rear when i bought it. all i did was adjust the rear sensors to make her sit level. I then readjusted the front to bring it down around 1 1/4 inches. all it takes is a tape and a ten mm wrench use the one in your tool kit.
Is there a link on procedures of how to do this? Can I do it with just one set of ramp?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Air Suspension....may be more prevalent than Lexus will admit