buggin out in the snow !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08, 09:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trac

Originally Posted by TreeTops
Didn't any of you guys push the traction button? Isn't that supposed to help with driving in show?
Traction control only helps if the tires can actually get traction. Nothing is going to help you sliding on ice....
Old 12-20-08, 09:46 PM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea i guess but i tried it and it worked ...i was wondering and am to lazy to open the manual how and when do i use the snow button properally ...??sorry for such a silly question just had the car for about a month and a half
Old 12-20-08, 10:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys got me confused.

Traction control is on all time, unless you push traction off button and then the control is disabled. That means you can smoke your rear tires without electronic interfer.

Snow mode is when chosen, the car will actually start rolling at 2nd gear and the throttle response is slower. So less power to the rear wheels to help the car have better traction in the snow.
Old 12-21-08, 03:45 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the explanation of the snow mode. I forget to use it often. I do fine in the snow and have seen plenty of it including her in the UP of Mich 80 inches already. Goodyear Assurance came on this care and they are newer and have an open tread pattern. So I agree tires are key

I dislike the Intergate system for snow when you downshift it goes into fifth gear so I did slide off the rod once cause before i could get low enough on the gear chain I was going to fast. Learnd my good lesson though just go slow. The clearance low also.
Old 12-21-08, 11:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

to the OP, I cant believe you were running bad tires on a rwd car in the snow and expected anything BUT poor performance. That is really silly on your part. Snow tires are a MUST with any RWD vehicle in the snow.
Old 12-21-08, 04:57 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thumb UP

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
to the OP, I cant believe you were running bad tires on a rwd car in the snow and expected anything BUT poor performance. That is really silly on your part. Snow tires are a MUST with any RWD vehicle in the snow.
DARN RIGHT !!!

AWD, FWD, RWD in order of desirability on snow. You can't go driving around with bad tires on a RWD vehicle. Even with AWD or FWD, it has to be the right tires. Went out today in an Acura TL with new Pirelli sport tires and it wasn't pretty...
Old 12-21-08, 06:13 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always driven my LS in snow, with Dunlop M3 winter sports. Zero problems up here in next to Canadian border. Had the blizzard last weekend and 8 inches yesterday and was out doing errands with no problems. Just use the snow setting for the transmission and take it easy when accelerating and keep moving whenever possible. Certainly not AWD but not a problem either.
Old 12-21-08, 07:13 PM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea i gotbrand new tires yesterday they are pretty cool and for great price
Old 12-21-08, 10:09 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in newyork now but i dont have my LS im driving my sisters honda pilot around... handles really well no complaints.. i drove to newark jersey and slid a couple times on the turnpike but nothing to serios and it was all good
Old 12-22-08, 08:59 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let's not forget we are driving rear wheel drive cars with a stout V8. THat does not go well with snow at all.

If we actually get snow again, my LS will park and the Cruiser gets unleashed.
Old 12-22-08, 07:47 PM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings from the Great White North - where we get snow in the winter all the time, not just every now and then like some of you (lucky) folks down south.

In any case, the LS is just fine in snow, as long as you get winter tires. It has so many traction control and anti-skid computers/sensors, that once you get used to it, it's quite fun. Yes, it is a very different feeling from driving on hot dry pavement, but once you know what you're doing, you can outperform the SUVs. Right now we don't have snow on the roads, we have real ice, and temperatures around -30 (that's the same in Celsius or Fahrenheit), and I've done just fine. FYI, I'm rolling on Dunlop Winter Sport M3s.
Old 12-23-08, 09:43 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more I drive the LS in snow, the more I'm amazed by just how dialed in the electronics are on this. So far I've found it almost impossible to really get the cars back end out sideways beyond a foot or so - it just snaps back in. Very impressed.
Old 12-24-08, 02:31 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

all RWD cars suck in snow, and i'm not getting snow tires so that i'll get better traction for 3 or 4 days it snows here... but it really does suck to drive those 3 or 4 days in the snow...
Old 12-24-08, 08:03 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
im in newyork now but i dont have my LS im driving my sisters honda pilot around... handles really well no complaints.. i drove to newark jersey and slid a couple times on the turnpike but nothing to serios and it was all good
Word I'm driving a Pilot during the Seattle snowstorm with new Pirelli Scorpion tires. I could go up the steepest hill where no one dare without and issue. It's actually fun driving in the snow but ice is another issue
Old 12-25-08, 05:48 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

RWD cars have been driven in snow for many years without even traction control. Key is good tires, and driving slow. I just regret anytime i have to take it into the salt infested slurry. For me stabilitrack, tracion control or whatever this cart is well balanced heavy and does OK. Prefer it over my Honda and Caravan both FWD

Quick Reply: buggin out in the snow !!