LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Possibly stranded in Lake Tahoe (Key in trunk)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08 | 06:11 AM
Hodna
Driver School Candidate

Default Possibly stranded in Lake Tahoe (Key in trunk)

Me and my friends are staying in a cabin in Lake Tahoe, CA and some of them were supposed to leave last night but a friend accidentally dropped his key in the trunk (2001 LS430) and the door closed before he could reach it.

We called triple AAA and they successfully unlocked the doors, but we can't get into the trunk because there are no openings.

So the closest Lexus dealership is in Reno, an hour away if weather permits (which it most likely wouldn't, may take up to 4-5 hours) and it is a big hassle and we are supposed to leave the cabin by 10PM today.

Is there anything we can possibly do to speed up the process? The weather here is terrible and most of my friends are frustrated.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

- Matt
Old 12-22-08 | 06:25 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

If you can get inside the car, use the trunk opening latch below the steering wheel.
Old 12-22-08 | 06:28 AM
Hodna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boomer01
If you can get inside the car, use the trunk opening latch below the steering wheel.
Without the key, the car shut down and the latch doesn't work. Its in a lockdown mode of some sort, Triple AAA basically broke into the car like a robber.
Old 12-22-08 | 06:38 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Check inside the manual. There should be a key inside there. It is like a skeleton key and is inside a holder the size of a credit card.
Old 12-22-08 | 08:27 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

What about the pass thru in the back seat. I think its used for carrying skis or other long objects but pull down the arm rest and see if you can open it up from there and then try to fish out the keys.
Good luck!
Old 12-22-08 | 08:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hodna
Without the key, the car shut down and the latch doesn't work. Its in a lockdown mode of some sort, Triple AAA basically broke into the car like a robber.
umm, the button should still work, unless it is locked or the battery is dead.
Old 12-22-08 | 08:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGarry
What about the pass thru in the back seat. I think its used for carrying skis or other long objects but pull down the arm rest and see if you can open it up from there and then try to fish out the keys.
Good luck!
Yeah, if it is not an ultra luxury, go fish out the key thru the pass thru behind the arm rest.

And if AAA can open the door, they must be able to open the truck lid. They probably just didn't know about the hidden key hole above the license plate, show it to them and I am sure they can open it.
Old 12-22-08 | 09:49 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Unlock that sucker

Originally Posted by Hodna
Unless you've locked the switch, there is no "lock down" function where you can't open the trunk from the switch. Hey, if AAA can break into the front, then have them break into the back too...
Old 12-22-08 | 03:28 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

breaking in through the window is a tad bit different than trying to pry the trunk open. They don't pick the lock or anything, they just pop the lock using the mechanical structure inside the door. Did you guys try calling the dealership? What did they have to say?
Old 12-22-08 | 06:56 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

the latch up front should still open the trunk. Any luck?
Old 12-22-08 | 07:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Well I'll be darned... Hodna is right on the money. The trunk will NOT open with the latch/switch when the alarm is "activated" even when you're inside. I just replicated what happened.

1. I threw the remote into the trunk.
2. I sat in the car as my wife locked the car from outside with the second remote.
3. I unlocked the driver door to simulate as if it was opened with a slim jim.
4. Pulled on trunk latch and NOTHING

So, I guess there is some sort of "lockout" if the vehicle alarm is not deactivated. WOW, I am surprised, but learned something new.

I guess now is if you DO NOT have a Ultra Luxury, then open the pass-thru door between the rear seats and try to fish the remote out. Or, get your back up set from home and unlock the car.
Old 12-22-08 | 09:18 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

Well the good thing is that with the newer UL, you can't lock your keys in as the remote won't let it.
Old 12-22-08 | 09:50 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yeah, if it is not an ultra luxury, go fish out the key thru the pass thru behind the arm rest.
Along the same lines try getting something long & stiff (NO pun intended) and reach thru the pass thru to lift the trunk release. You should be able to see it since it glows in the dark!!
Old 12-22-08 | 10:13 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airtime
Well the good thing is that with the newer UL, you can't lock your keys in as the remote won't let it.
Doesn't have to be a UL; my 2004 ML with smartkey won't allow me to lock the keys in the trunk. It'll detect the key and let me hit the button on the trunk lid.

Or at least I think...
Old 12-23-08 | 05:16 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Wait a second, so when the key is in the trunk, the trunk button on the outside won't work? So the receiver somehow knows the key is in the trunk as opposed to outside of the car and it doesn't let you open the trunk. Doesn't make sense really... bad on Lexus.

Quick Reply: Possibly stranded in Lake Tahoe (Key in trunk)