LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ebay Trunk Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 10:58 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Trunk Struts

I need to replace my LS430 trunk lid struts. Even with discounts, the on-line Lexus dealer's (Carson Toyota or Sewell) prices are too expensive. On Ebay, there are two vendors with OEM replacements (after market), which should I get?

1. Partsavenue in NY, has a pair for $74.98 with free shipping. No details on the specs or manufacturer.

2. Figs-Engineering of CO, has two offers: $79.95 plus $8.95 shipping and states these are 8mm piston diameter vs OEM with 12mm diameter pistons. The other offer from their Ebay Store, has them for $69.95 plus $14.95 shipping and says they are made by Stabilus and include 4 new ball studs. Also, they mention they have metal ends. No mention of the piston diameter.

Both vendors have about the same percentage of positive feedback and would not charge sales tax for me in CA. I am more concerned about the quality of the struts, than saving ten dollars.

Anyone on this forum have any experience with the struts from these vendors?

Old 01-06-09, 11:17 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these, not sure which ones, I think it's figs.

trunk doesn't pop open when I release it, I have to raise it up. but at least it stays up.
Old 01-09-09, 05:20 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Default How about Lift Supports Depot - Autopartsbylou?

So, maybe I should not buy from Figs. I was concerned about the smaller diameter piston which would mean less power.

In my search, I came across "Mr. Lou's Stuff" and he goes by the other names in the title as well. $41.50 each, plus about 8 bucks shipping. And he is offering a 10% coupon discount.

Anyone tried struts from this source?

Old 01-09-09, 05:25 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought mine off ebay...works great!
Old 01-10-09, 01:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rise LORD VADER !!!

Originally Posted by mikemareen
I have these, not sure which ones, I think it's figs.

trunk doesn't pop open when I release it, I have to raise it up. but at least it stays up.
What do you mean that it doesn't pop open, as in open up you can start loading things? If so, I don't think the LS430 trunk does pop open by itself. It just releases the latch and you have to open the trunk yourself. The trunk doesn't seem like it's spring loaded to open up.

Mine just releases, but stays "closed" and I have to open it. That's how it's been since I got it and it stays open once I open the trunk. If it's suppose to work different, can someone confirm so that maybe I should get new struts too...
Old 01-11-09, 03:16 PM
!SPEED
Driver

quote:Mine just releases, but stays "closed" and I have to open it. That's how it's been since I got it and it stays open once I open the trunk. If it's suppose to work different, can someone confirm so that maybe I should get new struts too

That's all they do. You have to open it and if your struts are good it will stay open.

2005 LS UL PCS
Old 01-11-09, 04:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Good to know... so maybe people here are changing them thinking that they're suppose to open on their own when released. I know some Cadillacs and other sedans which have the trunk release button, they open the trunk all the way because they're spring loaded, but did not think this was the case with the LS. I personally think the LS way is better, doesn't just pop open and alert a possible criminal that your trunk just flew open.
Old 12-29-09, 07:45 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Good to know... so maybe people here are changing them thinking that they're suppose to open on their own when released. I know some Cadillacs and other sedans which have the trunk release button, they open the trunk all the way because they're spring loaded, but did not think this was the case with the LS. I personally think the LS way is better, doesn't just pop open and alert a possible criminal that your trunk just flew open.
Who did you end up buying from? Any updates on the vendor and product quality?
Old 12-29-09, 09:02 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Pop goes the wiesel...

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Who did you end up buying from? Any updates on the vendor and product quality?
Who me? I didn't get the struts. It was the OP that needed the struts. I just commented that the trunk on the LS doesn't just pop open completely when you release the lock.
Old 12-29-09, 09:21 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Auto Parts by Lou Trunk Struts

I bought them from http://www.autopartsbylou.com/

They have been working fine now for several months, appear to be good quality. The trunk pops up about a half inch, like everyone says that is the way they are supposed to operate in the Lexus. Always stay up, so I am happy with them.

Old 01-05-10, 07:54 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think mine are bad on my 05 cpo. are the struts supposed to lift the trunk up, with a little effort? Mine takes a whole lot of effort to lift up when you pop the trunk.
Old 01-05-10, 09:01 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my wifes GS300 hood struts last month. Bought them on eBay from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/partsavenue Great price and quick shipping. I think I paid $24 dollars for the pair + $8 in shipping. I'll need to replace the trunk struts on my LS430 soon and will likely get them from the same seller.
Old 01-05-10, 02:43 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I think mine are bad on my 05 cpo. are the struts supposed to lift the trunk up, with a little effort? Mine takes a whole lot of effort to lift up when you pop the trunk.
I find the best test is by determining the height which the struts will hold the opened trunk without falling. This isn't exact, as ambient temperature has an effect.

My worn out struts would allow the trunk lid to fall when it was about 20 to 24 inches from being closed. This meant the lid could easily fall on your head while removing items in the trunk if you were parked on a slight incline.

With new OEM struts, the trunk lid would not fall until it was approximately 10 inches from being closed.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-10, 12:13 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Its normal
Old 01-10-10, 02:10 PM
irek2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from Lous, and they have been installed for a year or so now. They work great, and were a great price!

Quick Reply: Ebay Trunk Struts