LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Spark Plug Time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 08:02 AM
cenwesi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Time?

Does anyone know if this BOSCH-FR8DCX (7957) made by bosch will work on our ls430. According to their site it will as is gap at .44. I can order 8 of these for $26 from http://www.aitsafe.com. Just wanted to run it by the gurus here before spending my money.

They also have NGK: NGK-BKR6EGP(7092) there? will this work?
Also found these at http://www.olyparts.com/ V Power Spark Plug. Part Number: 2756

PS: is changing the wires at recommend at this time? if so what wires do i need to get?

Last edited by cenwesi; 01-07-09 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 03:24 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Iridium

Originally Posted by cenwesi
Does anyone know if this BOSCH-FR8DCX (7957) made by bosch will work on our ls430. According to their site it will as is gap at .44. I can order 8 of these for $26 from http://www.aitsafe.com. Just wanted to run it by the gurus here before spending my money.

They also have NGK: NGK-BKR6EGP(7092) there? will this work?
Also found these at http://www.olyparts.com/ V Power Spark Plug. Part Number: 2756

PS: is changing the wires at recommend at this time? if so what wires do i need to get?
I would go OEM on this one. I believe the LS430 comes with the NGK Iridiums which are rated for over 100K. Never heard of the ones you mention, but maybe someone has experience.

As for the wires? What are you referring to, the conventional spark plug wires? The LS430 comes with a coil pack, which fits on top of the plugs so there is no conventional wire that runs to the "distributor." The coil pack either is good, or goes bad, which is my experience.
Old 12-31-09, 06:24 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am about to replace the plugs in my LS430. So I spoke to the parts desk at my local dealer and confirmed that OEM plugs on these cars (and what they replace with) are Denso Iridium's. The Lexus part number is 90080-91200. According to the cross-reference chart on Denso's website, that Leuxs/Toyota part number references the official OEM replacement Denso part number as the Denso Iridium IK20.

That is what I'm buying this weekend to do the job. Advanced Auto has them in stock for $8.49 each. The dealer in Clearwater wanted 16.39 each!!!
Old 12-31-09, 06:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I would stick with exact OEM plugs. Modern cars can be very finicky about plugs given all the computer/monitoring systems involved these days.
Old 12-31-09, 07:19 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

OEM plugs are have good performance, I would stick with what works.
Old 12-31-09, 10:07 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Integra is my test car... I've used standard, platnium, single post, double post, quad post, etc, and honestly, they're really all the same when it comes to doing their job, sparking the cylinder and giving you power. Just that plantinum and iridium last much longer than regular copper.

That's why with my RX, I've always just gone OEM. Go with what vehicle came with, because the aftermarket parts are more gimic than real anything.
Old 12-31-09, 02:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

OEM uses Denso Iridium, NGK Iridium is a great replacement at less than half the cost.
Old 01-01-10, 07:52 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

IIRC, some people on the landcruiser site (same engine as the LS430 bored out to 4.7L) have had issues w/ Bosch plugs. Your best bet is Denso iridiums. You only have to replace them every 120K miles, which is 10 yrs under normal driving, so what's a few more bucks if it means the engine will continue to run smoothly rather than knock?
Old 01-04-10, 10:10 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

I sucessuflly replaced my plugs this weekend with Denso Iridiums (model IK20). Everything went very smooth and took me under an hour to finsih. I even removed and cleaned my throttle body after I saw how easy it was to remove. It had a pretty good layer of gummy resiude all around the inside and on the edges of the butterfly flap-- sparkling clean now.

One thing to note-- To my surprise, the old plugs I removed were NGK's Iridium's! I am the second owner of this 2001 LS430 with only 78k miles (I bought it when it had 46k miles). I assumed they were original plugs from the assembly line. I mean, who would change out the plugs on a car that had 40k +/- miles? The previous owner was an elderly gentelman who took VERY good care of this car. He may have had someone replace the plugs along the way, but again, I'll never know.
Old 01-04-10, 03:02 PM
wildace
Pole Position

maybe the previous owner didnt kno about the long life of iridiums.

what's the part number on those ngk's?
Old 01-05-10, 07:28 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Wildace,
I dont know, because I threw them away already. I know, I should have looked more closely. But now I know what I have in there and the milage of when they were replaced.
Old 03-18-10, 09:02 AM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wildace
maybe the previous owner didnt kno about the long life of iridiums.

what's the part number on those ngk's?
Most likely 4589 (Laser Iridiums)

I'm doing mine today, and will post up a detailed photo guide like I did for the brake pad replacement.
Old 03-18-10, 09:54 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Most likely 4589 (Laser Iridiums)

I'm doing mine today, and will post up a detailed photo guide like I did for the brake pad replacement.
terrific! looking forward to it!
Old 03-18-10, 11:13 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Denso SK20 has an Iridium 0.7mm electrode and is designed as a long life plug and is closest to OEM, while the IK20 has a iridium 0.4mm electrode which doesn't last as long but provides somewhat better ignition efficiency which translates to better mileage. Owners choice but both are excellent choices.
Old 03-19-10, 05:23 AM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did the plug change, cleaned the TB, and replaced the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor yesterday afternoon, but didn't take any photos.

I replaced the O2 sensor with an OEM connector style Bosch part. Getting the sensor out of the exhaust was no issue. Disconnecting the connector was a huge pain in the ***. Took me 30 minutes of wrangling, cussing, and cuts and bruises to get it disconnected.

For the spark plugs, the parts house had 2 different NGK Iridiums listed, both for the same price $6.99, 3764 Iridium IX and 4589 Laser Iridium. Inspecting both, the only differences I could see was that the IX had a longer center electrode, and a tapered ground strap. Looking at NGK's website, the Laser Iridium is the "Best OEM Iridium spark plug available" while they list the IX as "Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast" and "ultimate performance". So, while not OEM design, it is a better plug for the same price as far as I can tell.

Engine runs more smoothly, and there is a noticeable change in drivability, but that may be due to the plugs, O2 sensor, and cleaning the TB all at once.

I'm taking a family trip down to Chattanooga today, so I'll post up when I return on the highway behavior and the mileage.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Time?