Corrosion on Door ECU Connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 08:46 AM
Sunseek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corrosion on Door ECU Connector

Hello,

I'm going to make a very long story short. I lost all window control from drivers seat except drivers window (no auto up/down though), headlights wouldn't turn off after car was off, drivers mirror won't fold or adjust, drivers door won't lock, memory seat won't work, seat belt height won't move, and smart key entry on drivers door wouldn't work.

So I take the car to the dealer (2005 with CPO) and wait for them to tell me a computer is dead. Three hours later they have checked all fuse blocks and fuses but no luck. Then they tell me the door ecu has corrosion on the pins and they will clean it and see if it functions.

Sure enough the ECU works again after the connector was cleaned and reconnected. The service advisor tells me they did me a great favor by cleaning this instead of replacing it. The unit is $2,000 he says. My reply was it's CPO territory so no favors for me, Toyota maybe. He tells me rust and corrosion are not covered by the CPO. A small debate starts and he finally takes the bill back.

My question is has anyone ever seen this before? Isn't the door ecu protected enough that this shouldn't be a problem?

Was I out of line expecting CPO to cover this?

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-08-09, 09:08 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rust damage\corrosion isn't covered by the factory Extended Warranty either, so it makes sense it's that way with the CPO as well.

The dealer is correct in the fact that as it's corroded its not technically covered. But in all fairness an ECU should never get corroded anyway. The only way I can see something like that happening is if something else failed, allowing corrosive materials access to the ECU. You didn't do anything malicious to cause the damage, so it must be a design issue. Given that, I think they should cover it, which they have.

You could have also argued it's an electrical fault and all your electrics are covered under CPO.
Old 01-08-09, 06:47 PM
Sunseek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd really love to know how in the world that thing got wet/damaged. I'm almost to the point of taking the door panel off and look around. Last thing I want is rust starting at the bottom of the door edge this early in the car's life.

I'm also going to chat with the tech who did the work.