LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 - 06 LS430 owners, does your glovebox light stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 06:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Default 04 - 06 LS430 owners, does your glovebox light stay on?

My wife noticed some time ago that the light in the glovebox stays on when its closed... you can barely see it through a crack at the top of the glovebox. Its hard to see but (especially) if you're in a very dark area its visible even from the driver's seat.

Has anyone else noticed this issue in their LS or do I just have a faulty toggle switch? Mine is a 2005 Ultra but don't think that makes a diffence (but might since wood and leather on the box cover may be different).
Old 01-12-09, 07:26 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I know that the light in the glove box and center console will only come on when the park or headlights are on, once they go out so will the glove box & center console.
Old 01-12-09, 07:32 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never noticed, but I would say you have a faulty toggle switch. Don't see a reason why Lexus would not put a switch in there to turn light off, when my 1995 Civic had a switch for the glove box.
Old 01-13-09, 07:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Tee
I know that the light in the glove box and center console will only come on when the park or headlights are on, once they go out so will the glove box & center console.
Right, makes sense that they would do that (and I've only noticed it at night). However I think they wouldn't just leave it full on all the time the headlights were on, but only when the glovebox is open.

If someone remembers in the evening, peek over and see if you see light coming out of the box in your LS430.
Old 01-13-09, 09:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw your thread last night Dave and checked it out this morning.

Like what AlexusAnja+Tee said, the glove box lights up only when the parking lights are on.
There's a toggle switch in the upper right corner that turns it off when the glove box is closed.
Guess you might have to play with that one.
Old 01-13-09, 10:18 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My wife noticed some time ago that the light in the glovebox stays on when its closed... you can barely see it through a crack at the top of the glovebox. Its hard to see but (especially) if you're in a very dark area its visible even from the driver's seat.

Has anyone else noticed this issue in their LS or do I just have a faulty toggle switch? Mine is a 2005 Ultra but don't think that makes a diffence (but might since wood and leather on the box cover may be different).
hmmm... i never noticed any light seeping from the glovebox. It might be part of the greater network of ambient lighting throughout the car. A good measure would be to move the dimmer switch and and see if the glove box light react (along with all other LED bulbs around the cabin.) Try it in a dark garage for best results.
Old 01-13-09, 06:15 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I dunno, man but I suspect the light in my refrigerator stays on when I close the door. I'm never fast enough to know for sure though.
Old 01-13-09, 07:09 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lights are on?

Originally Posted by campisi
I dunno, man but I suspect the light in my refrigerator stays on when I close the door. I'm never fast enough to know for sure though.
For me, I think all the lights in the vehicle (except reading light which you actively turn on) should auto turn off after x-number of minutes. We're adults, we're not afraid of the boogie man anymore. If we say accidentally leave the trunk open when we run to garage, then the light should turn off after a while, not stay on indefinitely (until battery runs out). So, if the light in glovebox is indeed on, then it should turn off after say 5 min.

Me, I've never had to use the interior lights for more than 5 or 6 minutes, just to read something. If I want to read longer, I'll turn the reading lights on.
Old 01-13-09, 07:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

OK I tested it tonight on the way back from dinner. The light comes on when headlights are turned on and they stay on. They do not dim when the dash lights are turned to full dark and are a set of orange / yellowish lights similar to the ambient lighting in the footwells, but brighter.

I also couldn't find any toggle switch around the edge of the glovebox that I could manually press / depress to turn them on or off, will try again in the AM.
Old 01-13-09, 07:51 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
If we say accidentally leave the trunk open when we run to garage, then the light should turn off after a while, not stay on indefinitely (until battery runs out).
The trunk lights will automatically turn themselves off if the trunk is left open over a period of time, I discorverd this when i swapped out my fog lamp bulbs using the OEM tool box. I thought to myself well done Lexus, well done.
Old 01-14-09, 01:35 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the ambient lights in the footwells and overhead stay on at all times (or at least at night when i have noticed them before). I would assume ambient lighting all around (including the glove box) would do the same. LED run on very little energy, a car battery would last a long time running these lights with out any regen from an alternator.

Mine is an 05, if I remember, i'll try to take a look tonight when I leave work.