LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What, if anything do you not like about your 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 09:23 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sorry , no agreement on Levinson

Originally Posted by Carmelstev
I have 3 other vehicles with Bose and the ML blows them all away. Even my wife could tell the difference!
My wife's A8 has Bose. Also I worked at a very high end audio store through college, and develped a good ear (had to in order to sell the type clientele we had).

I have a Levinson pre-amp at home, two monoblock amps, Linn table with Goldmund relief mat, etc.....

The Levinson has poor soundstage, the range stinks, and the bass is really lousy - no definition. The Audi Bose (I wouldn't buy Bose at home) has great soundstage, mid-range is there, clarity regarding bass & treble is very good (bass on Lexus sounds like mud), and the definition onthe bass is extremely good.

The way to compare systems is to do so at flat - bass, treble, and midrange at neutral. Out of test, we adjust to our preferences. Again, Levinson is poor. Please understand when I say Levinson stinks, I mean compared to other car audio that is "extra special," and thus relative.

Lastly, I am not the only person on this thread that has commented negatively about Levinson's system, and we all have the right to our own opinions.
Old 01-14-09, 01:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Two thing.

Ride height (too high, esp in the front in UL models)

Driver seat is very uncomfortable in long trips, the lower muscles in my thigh just go insane after a long trip. Just feels like it cuts circulation of blood or something. Needs more cushioning.
Old 01-14-09, 02:00 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest gripe is The ability to pick up the proper Voice recognition commands is horrible.

The only way to get my DVD player to work with my Ultimate Lockpick is to say DVD about 10 times. Every now and then when I am by myself it works with one command, but if someone is in the car and i want to show it off. OH h3ll NO! DVD -- DVD PLAYER D--- V-----D----

The best way to show off its ability to recognize commands is to say 68 degrees and she will respond almost every time with "setting temperature to 68 degrees"

I am thinking about replacing the microphone one of these days to see if that helps.
Old 01-14-09, 03:50 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, I was afraid as I started this thread people would be pissed. But I needed to vent, and your posts make me feel like I am not the only one that forgot to drink the "Relentless Perfection" cool-ade. Nothing is perfect.
By the way, I think the M.L. sounds DAMN good in the '09 460, but if you really want crappy, come give a listen to my "standard" 04 Lexus 430 stereo, utter garbage. My 99 Ls 400 sounded as good as the 09 M.L., full, rich, and awsome sound stage. Oh well.
I hope the $100.00 I'll spend to re-seal the factory windshield stops the roar. I dearly hope I am thru with warranty repairs. Fingers crossed.

By the way, does anyone have the address to Lexus in Japan?? I would love to write them. I have never seen an address anywhere except their N. America one, of course. I promise to be nice!

To my buddies north of the Mason-Dickson line, STAY WARM!! And please check your anti-freeze. -20 in Fargo? YOU BETCHA !!
Old 01-14-09, 07:25 PM
atw24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
Lexus already figured it out, all new generation cars 06'+ IS, ES, GS, LS's cooling seats are freezing cold.
Does that mean the last year LS 430's (06) received freezing seats or does this apply only to LS 460's??

thanks
Old 01-15-09, 08:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by atw24
Does that mean the last year LS 430's (06) received freezing seats or does this apply only to LS 460's??

thanks
Sorry I should have been more specific, since the new generations of ES and LS came out in 07'.

By new generation I meant new body style, so no the old body style 06' LS430 don't have freezing seats, only the LS460 has it.
Old 01-15-09, 08:22 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atl
WOW, I was afraid as I started this thread people would be pissed. But I needed to vent, and your posts make me feel like I am not the only one that forgot to drink the "Relentless Perfection" cool-ade. Nothing is perfect.
Nothing is perfect in this world, regardless of how much money you spend on it.

Even the $2 millions Bugatti Veyron Pur Sang or the $6 millions custom build Ferrari P4/5 have their issues, nothing is perfect in the real world.

Lexus's products is probably as close to perfection as you can get with a down to earth price.
Old 01-15-09, 07:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Cruise is really BS, you can not even read the various functions completely, it should be on the steering wheel in place of the computer info buttons on the right. the computer info buttons should be below the temp buttons. I agree the stereo buttons on the wheel are easy to accidently hit.

What about a light under the hood? I have the base model.

No offense but it is so quiet and smooth it is kinda boring, I like it though and while I used to get sleepy in my accord often, i do not in this car.
Old 01-15-09, 07:29 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc

What about a light under the hood? I have the base model.
Yeah, and cupholders under the hood while they're at it.
Old 01-15-09, 07:42 PM
d-cannon
Rookie

This is my third Lexus with Nav, so the limitations here were not a surprise, but it is better than any German company's attempt. I bought an 03 Accord new and its Nav and voice recog 6 years ago is the best I have ever experienced...

*I am thoroughly disappointed in the cooling seats... this was one of the reasons I went shopping for a new car... is there any sort of mod we can do to get them to work as well as the cars that cost half as much?

*The "fridge" in the ultra is lame.
*I wish I could choose the 'auto' feature on the air circulation without having my A/C running (not a big deal).
*Auto open/close trunk like my RX and minivan.
*I wish my ultra had exclusive wood trim like the antique walnut... I know that is trivial, but still.
*I wish the satellite radio was factory integrated like my old accord and all the Korean cars... not a dealer option.

Coming from an '05 M3, I will be one of the few who does not knock the LS handling/ride, because it was engineered to be the smoothest on the road. The LS accomplishes that task perfectly and it handles better than some of the previous comments would make it seem.

I am 99% happy with my car, I just wish the seats were cooler, as I am the guy who just wears a shirt in any temperature down to 30 degrees. Colder than that, I wear a blazer or suit jacket over said shirt.
Old 01-15-09, 09:35 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The cooling seats, what a joke.
Because you never driven your LS more than 2 miles at a time how would you know. I think the longest distance you ever drive your LS is to the body shop to do another upgrade on your already perfect LS Ultra
Old 01-16-09, 04:09 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Really not a bad idea, then you would have a light to find the cupholder for your beverage if you are ever broken down or want to check under the hood after dark, brilliant!!!!!!!!!

I guess a flashlight is fine but I have had cars with small lights recessed into the insulation under the hood and found them helpful.
Old 01-16-09, 07:52 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by irmichel
Tell me more please, i'm interested.

Please keep in mind that I live in Europe and the settings may differ??
I would imagine Toyota set the headlights aim the same for cars sold around the world.

All you need to do is aim the lights higher by turning the adjustment screw behind the lights.
Old 01-17-09, 10:18 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d-cannon
This is my third Lexus with Nav, so the limitations here were not a surprise, but it is better than any German company's attempt. I bought an 03 Accord new and its Nav and voice recog 6 years ago is the best I have ever experienced...

*I am thoroughly disappointed in the cooling seats... this was one of the reasons I went shopping for a new car... is there any sort of mod we can do to get them to work as well as the cars that cost half as much?

*The "fridge" in the ultra is lame.
*I wish I could choose the 'auto' feature on the air circulation without having my A/C running (not a big deal).
*Auto open/close trunk like my RX and minivan.
*I wish my ultra had exclusive wood trim like the antique walnut... I know that is trivial, but still.
*I wish the satellite radio was factory integrated like my old accord and all the Korean cars... not a dealer option.

Coming from an '05 M3, I will be one of the few who does not knock the LS handling/ride, because it was engineered to be the smoothest on the road. The LS accomplishes that task perfectly and it handles better than some of the previous comments would make it seem.

I am 99% happy with my car, I just wish the seats were cooler, as I am the guy who just wears a shirt in any temperature down to 30 degrees. Colder than that, I wear a blazer or suit jacket over said shirt.
my ultra has burnt wood, which i like a lot...
Old 01-17-09, 11:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
......... if you are ever broken down or want to check under the hood after dark, brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Not saying that lexus isn't proned to breaking down, but how many here have it happened? If so, what are we looking for under the hood???

If I'm going to be working on my car at night, I'll need something brighter than an underhood light.....something that will light up the freeway at least

Let's back up, what carmaker has underhood lighting?

Quick Reply: What, if anything do you not like about your 430?