LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What, if anything do you not like about your 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 04:19 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My Dodge Ram truck has an underhood light (clickie to see it better)!

I threw in the cupholder thing as a joke cuz you never really need to be under the hood of an LS430 on the side of the road at nigh - too reliable for that. Now a Dodge pickup? You might want a light, cupholder, maybe toss in a microwave oven for all the time you'll be fixing things under the hood! Bwahaha! Actually, the Ram is 10 years old and I've never had anything go wrong with it. It just runs.
Old 01-17-09, 06:57 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Necessity

Originally Posted by campisi
... you never really need to be under the hood of an LS430 on the side of the road at nigh - too reliable for that. Now a Dodge pickup? You might want a light, cupholder, maybe toss in a microwave oven for all the time you'll be fixing things under the hood! Bwahaha! ...
Actually, that might be true. I think the only car I've had that had an underhood light was our 1984 and 1990 Plymouth Voyager minivans. Surely did need them a few times.

Hey, necessity is the father of invention, and also the factor for need.
Old 01-17-09, 08:02 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why the hell does everything light up except Sport/Norm and High/Height/Norm button, this is stupid... and can you put the car in sport mode and have the height set on high? this would be really stupid!
Attached Thumbnails What, if anything do you not like about your 430?-img_0478.jpg  
Old 01-17-09, 08:50 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by irmichel
Tell me more please, i'm interested.

Please keep in mind that I live in Europe and the settings may differ??
Click HERE for the how to adjust the headlight aim.
Old 01-18-09, 07:52 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

the thing i dislike the most is that (Ultra Model Only) driver side sits up higher than passenger side. Car looks jack to the left when you park your car!
Old 01-18-09, 09:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
why the hell does everything light up except Sport/Norm and High/Height/Norm button,
Because your light bulbs are burned out.
Attached Thumbnails What, if anything do you not like about your 430?-img_0232.jpg  
Old 01-18-09, 09:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
and can you put the car in sport mode and have the height set on high? this would be really stupid!
Yes you could. I don't know why you think that is stupid though.
Old 01-19-09, 10:37 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Reluctantly adding to this thread, 'cause my four LS's, going back to '91 LS400, up to my current '04 UL w/ PCS, are hands down the best designed and built cars I've ever owned. (Never mind doesn't handle like a BMW or Mercedes: if they would get their reliability up to Lex levels, then maybe I would compare/consider those cars; otherwise, since quality/reliability trumps all else for me, I don't see any other choices for me as of today)
SO here goes:
1: heated and cooled seats are terrible failures; I think they're just there for marketing reasons.
2: cruise control requires multiple switch presses (dang those lawyers)
3: 5 mph setting increment on dynamic cruise (don't many of us set up 7-9 over posted limit; just can't do it with the 5 mph increment, except via luck/multiple tries)
4: my black interior is actually a mix of navy blue and black
5: dash and control design are an embarrasing hodgepodge of inconsistency; ie amber pixel type displays in one place; segmented green LCDs in another; displayed info is hard to interpret quickly, because of lack of borders between display sections; HVAC panel has nice buttons with tiny chrome bars (my favorite motif, reminds me of Audi/VW), other are plain old Toyota parts bin standards stuff (made to look worse by the nicer stuff on HVAC)
6: one color fits all bronze plastic switch buttons
7: wind noise in 430 (my last 2 400's were quieter)
8: why no wood surround for the NAV console?
9: (they'll never change this, 'cause they're copying Mercedes) rocker switch for temp control; rotating **** with 1 degree detents would be hands down better
10: pushbuttons behind steering wheel are plastic-on-plastic squeaky, and have poor tactile feel
11: NAV logic is sometimes completely crazy, especially when you leave your route
12: inability to select a NAV destination on the move
13: $300 for NAV updates
14: rain sensing wipers far too sensitive
15: dynamic cruise very inconsistent when increased speed called for; sometimes lags far behind traffic; other times grabs a gear and scares my passengers

I'm sure there's more, but that's enough, considering I love my 430.

Toyota, are you monitoring this thread? We hope so!

Best regards to all,
NC356
Old 01-19-09, 11:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well this vehicle is/was just a toyota in its home town, we're the ones that put the 'L' on it and jacked up the price. just remember it was a toyota when it was created.

1. that being said so far i hate the cup holder placements in the front seat and especially in the back seat.

2. the cooler box didn't seem to work for me, my beer didn't stay very cold, but it was around freezing outside.

3. of course the nav but i won't even go there.

4. the drl's are a nasty brown yellow but i'm about to fix all that, and the fogs aren't much better but again i'm about to fix all that.

5. the trunk isn't as big as i would have thought, my old gs400 seemed to fit my sub box and leave more additional room. i wonder if the cooler box has anything to do with it???

other than these trivial things i love the car thus far... its definitely not a sports car, but i wanted to get away from the sports car feel which is why i bought it in the first place. a great commuter car even if i'm having the worst day at work... yeah man,
Old 01-19-09, 11:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
3. of course the nav but i won't even go there.

Go try a bmw and MB and you'll take a bat to the nav

5. the trunk isn't as big as i would have thought, my old gs400 seemed to fit my sub box and leave more additional room. i wonder if the cooler box has anything to do with it???

If you're talking height-wise, then yeah, the cooler box is in the way.

Length wise, it's huge I stuffed 2x 20" rims with tires this weekend with no problem. I don't think my GS could fit that.
Old 01-19-09, 12:01 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no definitely my gs400 could not and did not fit 2 20's w tires although i tried many different angles and eventually gave up. it must just be the height that makes it seem smaller then.

i try not to look at nice nav systems cuz it makes me think less of mine.
Old 01-19-09, 08:05 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Because your light bulbs are burned out.

Damn it. The Lexus tech lied to me. My Sport/Norm is not lit and I specifically ask them and they said its not suppose to. I asked them why and they just said that's the way it is. I even had them check on another LS and that one is burned out too.
Old 01-19-09, 08:14 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by nc356
10: pushbuttons behind steering wheel are plastic-on-plastic squeaky, and have poor tactile feel
I forgot about that, though my buttons doesn't squeak. I think they could of done better with the behind the steering buttons too. I always mess up pressing the wrong buttons for volume or voice activated commands. They need to maybe put some on the other side of the steering wheel to differentiate the commands.
Old 01-19-09, 08:18 PM
airtime
Racer

I hear a lot of complaint about wind noise. Is there a specific year that its happening to as mine is dead quiet. I drove my car with a 4 people in it and they said it was the quietest car they ever sat in. They were surprise at how it even filters out a lot of an ambulance siren. Note that mine is the UL with double pane but is the noise all of you hear coming from the front windshield only?
Old 01-19-09, 08:59 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by airtime
Damn it. The Lexus tech lied to me. My Sport/Norm is not lit and I specifically ask them and they said its not suppose to. I asked them why and they just said that's the way it is. I even had them check on another LS and that one is burned out too.
DAMN IT!!! my service manager said the same crap to me, and I believed him... Now I'm out of warranty! at least your height button is lit. CRAP!!!

Quick Reply: What, if anything do you not like about your 430?