LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What, if anything do you not like about your 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 09:05 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
I hear a lot of complaint about wind noise. Is there a specific year that its happening to as mine is dead quiet. I drove my car with a 4 people in it and they said it was the quietest car they ever sat in. They were surprise at how it even filters out a lot of an ambulance siren. Note that mine is the UL with double pane but is the noise all of you hear coming from the front windshield only?
My 04 is driving me batty, yes the wind noise is coming from the windshield!
Old 01-19-09, 09:06 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by nc356
Reluctantly adding to this thread, 'cause my four LS's, going back to '91 LS400, up to my current '04 UL w/ PCS, are hands down the best designed and built cars I've ever owned. (Never mind doesn't handle like a BMW or Mercedes: if they would get their reliability up to Lex levels, then maybe I would compare/consider those cars; otherwise, since quality/reliability trumps all else for me, I don't see any other choices for me as of today)
SO here goes:
1: heated and cooled seats are terrible failures; I think they're just there for marketing reasons.
2: cruise control requires multiple switch presses (dang those lawyers)
3: 5 mph setting increment on dynamic cruise (don't many of us set up 7-9 over posted limit; just can't do it with the 5 mph increment, except via luck/multiple tries)
4: my black interior is actually a mix of navy blue and black
5: dash and control design are an embarrasing hodgepodge of inconsistency; ie amber pixel type displays in one place; segmented green LCDs in another; displayed info is hard to interpret quickly, because of lack of borders between display sections; HVAC panel has nice buttons with tiny chrome bars (my favorite motif, reminds me of Audi/VW), other are plain old Toyota parts bin standards stuff (made to look worse by the nicer stuff on HVAC)
6: one color fits all bronze plastic switch buttons
7: wind noise in 430 (my last 2 400's were quieter)
8: why no wood surround for the NAV console?
9: (they'll never change this, 'cause they're copying Mercedes) rocker switch for temp control; rotating **** with 1 degree detents would be hands down better
10: pushbuttons behind steering wheel are plastic-on-plastic squeaky, and have poor tactile feel
11: NAV logic is sometimes completely crazy, especially when you leave your route
12: inability to select a NAV destination on the move
13: $300 for NAV updates
14: rain sensing wipers far too sensitive
15: dynamic cruise very inconsistent when increased speed called for; sometimes lags far behind traffic; other times grabs a gear and scares my passengers

I'm sure there's more, but that's enough, considering I love my 430.

Toyota, are you monitoring this thread? We hope so!

Best regards to all,
NC356
Were you able to come up with a fix for the wind noise? Is it the windshield?
Old 01-19-09, 09:17 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn my service manager quit, I can't even bring it up to him anymore. what i'm going to do is go back to dealership (when service is due) and ask again if they can fix the buttons, and if they reply that the buttons don't come on again, then i'm going to say I brought this up when I was under 50k and the service manager said the same thing, and then show him this picture of all the buttons lit! we'll see what they have to say to that!
Old 01-20-09, 12:26 AM
atw24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sorry I should have been more specific, since the new generations of ES and LS came out in 07'.

By new generation I meant new body style, so no the old body style 06' LS430 don't have freezing seats, only the LS460 has it.
sorry for OT but do you or does anybody else know if the 06 Avalon limited with A/C seats had the same problem in the first place and/or did the 07+ Avalon receive the freezing upgrade??

Thanks
Old 01-20-09, 03:15 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wind Noise

ATL:
Yes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...sb-issued.html
Old 01-20-09, 07:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn it. The Lexus tech lied to me. My Sport/Norm is not lit and I specifically ask them and they said its not suppose to. I asked them why and they just said that's the way it is. I even had them check on another LS and that one is burned out too.
Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
DAMN IT!!! my service manager said the same crap to me, and I believed him... Now I'm out of warranty! at least your height button is lit. CRAP!!!
Of course they lied, that is their main job, to lie and convince people that all problems in their cars is suppose to be that way, to decrease warranty claim! I don't believe anything that anyone at the dealer say, I always do my own research before I even talk to them.
Old 01-20-09, 07:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear a lot of complaint about wind noise. Is there a specific year that its happening to as mine is dead quiet. I drove my car with a 4 people in it and they said it was the quietest car they ever sat in. They were surprise at how it even filters out a lot of an ambulance siren. Note that mine is the UL with double pane but is the noise all of you hear coming from the front windshield only?
Same here, mine is dead quiet, an ambulance with it's siren on passed me the other day, and I can't hear it at all because my radio is on at low volume, that is crazy.....could be dangerous sometime

The double pane glass make it feels like a vault, it is awesome after a long day of work