LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smartaccess - Can someone just drive away with your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:24 AM
Mrgimme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Have you tried the Smart Key access modes feature?

Two points.

1. I reprogrammed my smart key so after I open my door... ALL doors open!
(in the manual)

2. When you get out simply push the "bump" on the door handle- BEEP - you are good to go.

I like the hands free aspect - why fish for keys?
I know my car, it knows me, drive on.

Old 04-22-09, 10:23 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I only leave the car running in the winter when my wife is in the car and only for little quick runs (less than 5 min.). As for leaving the key in the car, I'm not sure why anyone would do that. The reason to have "keyless" entry and Smartaccess is so that the key is always on you and you don't ever need to take it out of your pant pockets... so yeah, not sure what other's complaints are about.
Im with you on that too, to warm it up and etc or when i Run in the house to get something but somone is in the car, my question to the op is why would you leave your car running w/o anyone in it when you run into the store?!
Old 04-22-09, 12:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
my question to the op is why would you leave your car running w/o anyone in it when you run into the store?!
To keep the cool box cool in the UL?

haha.....I am just kidding
Old 04-22-09, 12:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
don't like the "is it locked or is it not locked?"
There is only 2 ways to lock it, press the button on the key or on the door handle, it beeps once and flash the hazard. It is clear to me whether it is lock or not.

Originally Posted by I6turbo
when I walk away from it in parking lots, don't like the fact that it seems a bit balky at times when someone wants to open one of the other 3 doors or the trunk...
Program your C-best setting so all the doors open at once, and the trunk open if you just press the key once and not have to hold it. Make life a lot easier.

It does take a little getting use to, but now that I am used to it, I love everything about smart access.
Old 07-20-09, 09:33 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Question Key Fob gave you access into another IS250 exactly like mine.

Ok, so my wife went shopping came back out into the parking lot and walked towards her car (same color) it opened up. She was just about to sit then noticed a child seat in the Rear. She froze closed the door and looked around saw a car exactly like hers walked towards it. The side mirror lights up and door opened up as well. (thinking this is some prank) She then recognized the contents being hers. She became disturbed that her key fob opened up the other car... She called me and told me right away, I told her maybe it was already opened. She said when she pulled the handle it beeped. This is very disturbing, in theory anyone can steal her car (vice/versa). HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS? Please let me or all of us know, this is very serious if others have experienced it then Lexus has a serious issue on their hands... The Fob is nice but prefer the traditional Key!
Old 07-21-09, 04:57 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sequencing

Originally Posted by Kubs
Ok, so my wife went shopping came back out into the parking lot and walked towards her car (same color) it opened up. She was just about to sit then noticed a child seat in the Rear. She froze closed the door and looked around saw a car exactly like hers walked towards it. The side mirror lights up and door opened up as well. (thinking this is some prank) She then recognized the contents being hers. She became disturbed that her key fob opened up the other car... She called me and told me right away, I told her maybe it was already opened. She said when she pulled the handle it beeped. This is very disturbing, in theory anyone can steal her car (vice/versa). HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS? Please let me or all of us know, this is very serious if others have experienced it then Lexus has a serious issue on their hands... The Fob is nice but prefer the traditional Key!
If she did indeed open the other vehicle, then she should have gone and gotten the lottery. The odds of the same code, along with same color vehicle are probably easily over 1M:1. I think I read somewhere that there are over 1/2M possible combination of coding, put that with how many colors of your vehicle, within your state... and the odds are really high.

Again, if she did unlock the car, that would be scary that the other person actually should also theoretically be able to unlock your car. Wow... I better start clubbing up my car again and taking everything out and locking the glove box. The glove box should have a different key.

Or, another theory is that perhaps the other vehicle is actually your vehicle from another dimension/timeline, and through some spacial anomoly, you both occupied the same space field at the same time. So, your wife was actually opening up her vehicle, but in a dimension and time where you had children...
Old 07-21-09, 07:59 AM
debian
Driver

...when I bought my LS I bought the satellite tracking chip because these cars can be stolen easily. Plus my car is in mint condition and you never know which oppurtunist thief may take a liking to it and try to take it by force or for a joy ride. Before I bought the car I asked how easy it is to steal. Lexus servicemen, and the sales staff among others warned me about this. It was not the dealership talking up-sale, a friend of mine is a lexis serviceman and he knows the deal.
It doesn't make the news much but all these new smart access keys/doors on different brands of cars can be hacked easily. I live in the metro DC area and Lexis car theft is not big here plus I have off street parking. However, I go to New York City, Newark and Philly enough to know that I wanted the added protection for those times when I am forced to park on the street and not in a garage.
I want to be able to find my ride in the guaranteed 45minutes once I notice it is missing. Which I might note is the problem with satellite Tracking...you have to know it was stolen. Or periodically gander on their site and then notice the car is away.
You would think in this day and age that engineers would make the key fob vibrate or flash to let you know your car is being disturbed. I would rather that, than a loud blaring horn. That way you could catch someone messing with your rims, or stealing your ride, or accidentally sitting in your car because of smart keys.
cheers,
Ian
Old 07-21-09, 08:52 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the problem with satellite tracking via GPS is that once its goes into the garage, it becomes useless. Cellular base system fair a little bit better but again, once it hits like an underground garage, that becomes useless too.

Unless the system tracks to the location where it looses signal, then it fairs a better chance. However, if it pulls into a semi-trailer and hauled elsewhere, the car is gone
Old 07-21-09, 10:16 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do like I do... just go from home garage to work garage only.

No "security" system is fail-safe. Even a vibrating alarm, it takes a crook on average about 2 minutes to be in and out of your car. Presuming the signal to your fob can even penetrate walls and feed beyond say 100 ft. how fast can you get to you garage from your work floor from time the window is broken, to the time your key vibes, then you ride the elevator down or stairs down?

Anyway, I just think we need padlocks for our doors.
Old 07-21-09, 10:52 AM
debian
Driver

Hey airtime....the satellite tracking does let you know the last location before it lost signal. My car is underground in the buildings parking garage. It states that the car is in this building (the infamous Watergate) though it is not stating exactly where in the underground parking, as this is a set of building and the parking stretches the length of the entire complex.
I doubt an 18wheeler would kill the signal if the car was inside of it...but now that you state that, I will look into it.
Alexusanja is right about the vibrating fob idea being bad as I am on the 12th floor and it takes 2 minutes to get from my office to the front door.
All this security stuff is not perfect....just about trying to make it that much harder for a thief.
Kinda off topic but not sure if you all heard about ex Giants football player Michael Strahan putting the satellite tracker in his then girlfriend's(Eddie Murphy's ex wife's) car unbeknownst to her. She would get calls from him telling her he knows where she was, and would catch her lieing. Now they are about to get married by the way.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by debian; 07-21-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 11:38 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by debian
Hey airtime....the satellite tracking does let you know the last location before it lost signal. My car is underground in the buildings parking garage. It states that the car is in this building (the infamous Watergate) though it is not stating exactly where in the underground parking,
That's pretty cool as I would loose GPS signal pretty easily in an underground shopping garage. Are you using LoJack?

Like AlexusAnja says though, I too go from my secure garage at home to my warehouse at work in 90 percent of the time.

When my kids are drive in the next couple of years, I plan on putting a tracking on the car and would assume the technology would be better and cost would be very low.

Sorry to the OP, we kind of hijacked your thread
Old 12-16-10, 12:55 PM
MDZ
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down smartaccess keyless entry - not real user friendly

So I have now experienced two situations where I managed to drive away from my home without the keyfab. While I understand the car may beep and give you a message on the console it is rather useless when you have two kids yelling and your focus is not on the not very loud beeping alarm that only lasts for few seconds.

It has been punishing. I know other vehicles make it much harder to drive off without the kayfab. I think the design sucks and they should allow you to program the vehicle to shut off or do something far more obnoxous then beeping and a nice little message on the dashboard.

MDZ
Old 12-16-10, 03:17 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MDZ
So I have now experienced two situations where I managed to drive away from my home without the keyfab. While I understand the car may beep and give you a message on the console it is rather useless when you have two kids yelling and your focus is not on the not very loud beeping alarm that only lasts for few seconds.

It has been punishing. I know other vehicles make it much harder to drive off without the kayfab. I think the design sucks and they should allow you to program the vehicle to shut off or do something far more obnoxous then beeping and a nice little message on the dashboard.

MDZ
I totally agree. The system should at least not let you know put it into "P" if no key is detected.

Doesn't matter though, wife and I each carry the key.
Old 12-16-10, 04:47 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess the only way I can reasonably see how someone would drive off without the fob would be if they had the fob in a purse, briefcase, coat, pants, etc. inside the car and then left that item behind. I noticed that the fob has to be physically inside the car in order for me to turn the key. I would then have to remove the fob from the car, leave it outside, and drive off.

I keep the fob in my pants pocket and never take it out except when I'm in my office or at home. I've walked up to the car without the fob and had to walk back. I've also entered my Subaru and cursed about having to fish the Subaru keys out of my pocket.

Maybe if I leave my pants (and fob) at home the cooled seats would work better.
Old 12-16-10, 04:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I keep the fob in my pants pocket and never take it out except when I'm in my office or at home.
Same here, fob is always in my pants pocket when I am going out, never an issue.

I've walked up to the car without the fob and had to walk back. I've also entered my Subaru and cursed about having to fish the Subaru keys out of my pocket.
I also hate it when I have to unlock the SC430 with the key, I also pull on the SC430's door handle before unlocking it, it is not fun, feels like a rejection

Maybe if I leave my pants (and fob) at home the cooled seats would work better.
The cooled seats definitely works better without any pants on

Quick Reply: Smartaccess - Can someone just drive away with your car?