LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What made you buy your LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 08:51 PM
d-cannon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll preface my story with... I can't seem to keep a car much longer than 18 months before I want something "better".

I bought my wife a 2004 RX330 in March of 2003... we were probably the 3rd family in Virginia to take delivery of the new body style. She/we loved that car. We even convinced her parents to get a new 2005 ES330 (lamest Lexus ever). I had always respected the looks and interior of the LS and told my wife I would get one someday. As I went from car-to-car (non-Lex), she kept her RX as it never lost it "coolness". Our family had grown from 2 to 4 and we needed more room, so the minivan was purchased for her daily driver and trip vehicle.
As my M3 warranty/free maintenance period was getting ready to run out, I sold it and started looking for my next car. I could not believe how much luxury vehicles had depreciated since the summer.
I picked up a 3 year old PCS UL with less than 35K miles in mint condition for probably $15K less than depreciation would have priced a similar deal 1, 2, or 3 years ago... In fact, my mint 2006 $74K msrp car cost less than I sold my ragged out 2005 $67K msrp car for a few months ago (with 2 minor, but separate accidents disclosed).
As anyone on this board will say, the LS430 may have its flaws, but I don't think I will be looking to "upgrade" in 18 months. Maybe after the current Giant Camry, I mean, LS460, has been retired and the 2013 LSxxx comes out I will think about it.
Old 01-16-09, 09:09 PM
SkipABeat
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In 1991 I had the opportunity to drive the first Lexus, the LS400. I just finished college then, and my ride was a 1991 Nissan Sentra. The 30-minute drive in the Lexus forever was etched in my memory bank.

Since then my wife and I have owned a 1990 Honda Accord and a 1999 Nissan Maxima. We tend to keep our cars for a long time ; we had a goal to pay off our house first. When it was time to shop for a car to replace the Honda, I was drawn to the Lexus nameplate. I know BMWs are sportier, Mercedes has the prestige, but my practical side kept telling me Lexus will cost less in the long run. So in July 2008, I found a very low mileage mint 2004 LS430 in Florida. I picked up the car with my wife and daughter, and we drove 1200 miles in 2 days back to Canada. All of us had perpetual grins on our faces as we drove mile after mile in comfort we have never experienced in an automobile before

To summarize, the biggest reason for buying the LS430 in the excellent reliability of the Lexus nameplate. My decision was influenced by an experience 18 years ago, and tempered over the years by JD Power, Road and Track and Automobile magazine reports, to name a few.

I hope to drive my LS430 for at least another 10 years, and I look forward to every time I drive my car. Life is good
Old 01-16-09, 11:56 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

saddle interior...
Old 01-17-09, 04:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oh yeah...

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Had a 99 Avalon ... LS430, I love this car. I can't ever imaging selling it. It's a used car and things do go wrong with it, but I just don't care. ...
Same here. If all goes well, I don't see myself ever getting rid of my LS until it just dies when it's old and rusty with 500K on it. The ONLY vehicle I can see myself replacing it with is an LS-AWD. I can't say 460 because who knows when I'll decide to replace the 430, so by then, maybe there will be an LS550-F AWD...

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
saddle interior...
AGREE !!!! Before purchasing mine, saw a beautiful 2005UL online with black exterior and saddle interior with less than 30K and only $25K. SLIPPED AWAY FROM ME !!!! THE AGONY !!!! But no regrets, love my '04 LS430 with CL.

One general thought, and this is purely based on coming from a manual driver for over 20 years and having a GS-R, but the LS430 is so smooth and nice to drive that it's BORING !!!! No road response, no engine noise, accelerates too smooth. And I can't even get some "excitement" visiting the dealer and looking at new cars because it's so reliable... ha ha.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 01-17-09 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-18-09, 08:37 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before getting a LS430, I had never owned a Japanese car. However, after many years of driving Cadillacs and Jaguars with frequent and costly repairs, I got fed up and started researching. I settled on the LS430 because of it's reliability, V8 engine, comfort and convenience features and outstanding ride. Initially, the price was just too high, so I focused on the oldest model, looking for my color choice, low mileage and affordable price. I liked the Lexus so much, that I sold my Jaguar convertible and also bought an SC430. Now we are driving only Lexus; both of the oldest models, of that generation. Expect to keep them for 10 years, thus being very economical to own.

Old 01-18-09, 12:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpeters

Before getting a LS430, I had never owned a Japanese car. However, after many years of driving Cadillacs and Jaguars with frequent and costly repairs, I got fed up and started researching. I settled on the LS430 because of it's reliability, V8 engine, comfort and convenience features and outstanding ride. Initially, the price was just too high, so I focused on the oldest model, looking for my color choice, low mileage and affordable price. I liked the Lexus so much, that I sold my Jaguar convertible and also bought an SC430. Now we are driving only Lexus; both of the oldest models, of that generation. Expect to keep them for 10 years, thus being very economical to own.
Same here, I drive a LS430 and my wife drive a SC430, and plan to keep them for as long as we can (10+ years). They are the greatest cars within this budget
Old 01-19-09, 12:08 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We had an '04 Chevy Malibu V6 that we loved to drive but it was a little too small to be comfortable on long trips. We spent almost a year researching and driving many larger cars including Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick Lucerne, Chevy Impala, Nissan Maxima, and Toyota Avalon and had decided on the Avalon Limited. Just for the heck of it we looked at Lexus to see what the "Avalon version" Lexus looked like. After looking at models we could afford but were too small we were shown the LS430 by the salesman. It's an '05 UL with PCS that we bought in Sept '08 with 42k. It's CPO and we extended the warranty to 125k and five years.

We decided on the 430 since the price was about the same as the new Avalon, but there was NO COMPARISON between the comfort of the two cars. Also the CPO warranty was better and the rate for financing was lower! And we had read about the reliability, etc.

We will NEVER sell this car but will buy a second LSxxx when we feel we can afford to. We don't really like the styling of the 460 as much as the 430 so hope the next version is more distinctive.

This is by far the best car we have ever owned and can't ever see how we can upgrade!!!
Old 01-19-09, 03:17 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

toyota/lexus for reliability, ls for luxury, UL because i don't get road rage nearly as often as in my old gs400 (with mods).

started out with an old mitsubishi eclipse then a new mitsubishi eclipse, then a honda integra (in japan), then a nissan gloria ( infiniti m35 in the states), then a lexus gs400 because living in japan made me want an ls430 but i couldn't afford one so i settled on the gs, now i own an 05 ls430 ul and i'm loving every minute of it. this is the really short version... but i did enjoy reading everyone else's reasons.
Old 01-19-09, 06:21 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I agree...I like the 430 design better

I already posted why I bought the LS. I agree with an earlier post - I like the 430 design better than the 460.

By the time I get rid of the 430 - if a Lexus replaces it - hopefully the replacement for the 460 will be better looking & have better road feel & handling.
Old 01-19-09, 06:50 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The big body, smooth ride and air ride suspension that can be controlled
Old 01-19-09, 08:11 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I <3 the LS.
Old 01-19-09, 10:28 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dependability and customer service were my reason for buying a Lexus. The German car dealerships in our area aren't into customer service and with BMW and MB crash test results going down they are no longer considerations for me.
Old 01-20-09, 09:23 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It all started in 99 when I was kind of tired of the ES250 I had...wanted something more luxurious and reliable as my ES was...looked around ..maybe the GS ...then again...not much bigger and not much more luxurious...therefore I went and got myself a LS400 with about 30k on it. I was very happy and content with the performance and the luxury the car offered. Eventually, over the years I have grown up and now have a LS430 which is very comfortable and reliable...very happy and I will always be a LS owner!!

Although Im not sure of the quality of the LS460s!! Might just stay with an 430 for the near future!!
Old 01-20-09, 10:45 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switched back to Lexus b/c my X350 XJR turned out to be the biggest headache I've ever had in all my years of motoring.
Old 01-20-09, 10:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
It all started in 99 when I was kind of tired of the ES250 I had...wanted something more luxurious and reliable as my ES was...looked around ..maybe the GS ...then again...not much bigger and not much more luxurious...therefore I went and got myself a LS400 with about 30k on it. I was very happy and content with the performance and the luxury the car offered. Eventually, over the years I have grown up and now have a LS430 which is very comfortable and reliable...very happy and I will always be a LS owner!!

Although Im not sure of the quality of the LS460s!! Might just stay with an 430 for the near future!!
Exactly the same here, had enough sports car during my young age (87' Celica, 01' Nissan GTR, 02' Nissan GTR, 04' STi), when I need an automatic cruiser, the choice was between a 06' GS430 and the 05' LS430UL. The GS430 was too sporty and too small, not luxurious enough as a daily cruiser. So the choice was clear, I don't need my cruiser to be sporty.

I am not that into the LS460/600 either, I am still stuck on the old school look of the LS430, I will drive the LS430 for as long as I can. The LS460 just look too much like an extra large ES350, not unique looking enough. Hopefully my LS430 would last long enough for me to skip a generation and hope the next generation LS is more unique looking. From the look of the HS250h, the future is bright!

Quick Reply: What made you buy your LS430?