LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What made you buy your LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 08:01 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKASH
Yep, I know what you mean. It's hard to describe. Maybe it's that deep "clunk" when the door closes enveloping you in airlock silence and then the unusually smooth whirr of the starter and ultimately the way it glides down the road. Not pretentious like mercedes but classic in its own inimitable fashion.
I couldn't have said it better
Old 02-03-09, 10:27 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430Rus
when i saw all the options that the ul came with i liked it alot... then i drove it and OMG was it beautiful!!
I notice you have an S550. How would you compare the LS and the S550? I know that they are pretty different in some regards, but how do you like the S overall compared to the LS? I drove the new S and thought it was waaaay ahead of the prior generation, and whereas I did not care to own the prior gen, I think I'd enjoy the new one....
Old 02-05-09, 07:33 PM
gshorty430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430

Don't own a ls430,but do own a 2000 ls 400 and 2006 Gs430. Absolutely love my Ls,which is now driven by my wife.Purchased the Gs430 in the summer of '08,while lookin for a 430. We told the salesperson that we were there to look at an 05-06 Ls430,he then proceeded to show us a 06 Gs430,sayin he misunderstood.Anyway after hearing the roar of the 430's exhaust,plus the interior amenities,i was sold. Not smart!Everyday i wish i stayed with my first choice....the Ls.The Gs has nothing on the Ls as far as ride quality,and comfort,but i should have known that.I'll be lookin to trade my Gs real soon,as soon as the car market improves.
Old 02-06-09, 06:23 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo

No, I'm not really a fan of VIP. I'm a lot more into improving functionality (my idea of functinality, anyway ) so I went the other direction with the ultra light Volks and "only" 19" wheels/tires, not so drastic on the lowering to screw up the feel and handling, etc.
i think that 'vip' has gotten a little overdone and a little misunderstood lately. originally vip was just a clean, functional, luxurious vehicle. nowadays people think that if they put a a lot of stuff on their cars that it is vip like 22" chrome rims, big huge chromed out loud exhaust pipes, limo tint, car slammed to the ground, huge wide body kits, blinking neon lights. So i don't blame you for thinking that this is what vip is all about.

I would still like to think that a nice luxury vehicle, with a nice wood grain interior, slight drop, nice stereo system (not to overpowering), maybe even a light tint job, 18 or 19" wheels (they don't have to be chrome with the extremely aggressive deep dish rim and cambered) , and of course with the entire vehicle being clean at all times and all paint and body work in pristine condition is what being vip is all about.

There is a distinct line between vip and rice (chimpira style) but the closer you get to it the harder it is to see.. and i know a lot of people who think they are vip are very very close to this line if not already past it...
Old 02-06-09, 06:40 AM
jyeager
Driver School Candidate

First noticed the LS's back in 1991, I was in college and my boss at the time bought a 91 400. I rode in it once and was impressed. After graduating college I opened a business and had a little more disposable income to mess around with. My first dream car was a 91 triple black convertible vette, then I graduated to SL 500's. I had remained friends with my old boss though and a few years later he was selling his '95 400 and I bought it. That car has spoilded me, it is reliable, easy to drive, and I especially like the nakimichi sound system. Now I can't imagine driving anything except LS's, would like a 460 but am settling for a '05 430 for now. I'm not sure I would have the patience for any other make of car since driving that '95 400 for so long, it's built far better than the S class mercedes I've owned.
Old 02-06-09, 06:54 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice post Sojah!
Old 02-09-09, 12:36 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
....... slight drop, nice stereo system (not to overpowering), maybe even a light tint job, 18 or 19" wheels (they don't have to be chrome with the extremely aggressive deep dish rim and cambered) , and of course with the entire vehicle being clean at all times and all paint and body work in pristine condition is what being vip is all about.
In that case I guess I've already VIP'd it.
Old 02-09-09, 01:01 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

It sounds as though you have, now just keep it nice and clean and don't drive it like its your dads. but i guess thats what the supraT or a3 are for though huh??
Old 02-09-09, 04:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, maybe it was some jealousy on my part seeing these "rich snobs" drive around in their BMW and MB's. Every time I would pass one of them and see some old guy in a 7 or S, I'd think "what a dumb rich guy with too much money to blow..." Now with my LS, I really don't care about them anymore or think that way, now I think "what a dumb guy with too much money to blow..." I'm sure the person driving the Yaris that I meet every once in a while is thinking "what a rich bast*rd with too much money and trees to kill..."
Old 02-09-09, 05:32 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Don't want to even drive a LS460 yet as I might mortgage the house because I'd have to have one.
ditto man. hahahaha. i think you speak for many on here with that statement.
Old 02-10-09, 06:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
ditto man. hahahaha. i think you speak for many on here with that statement.
Not me. I have little interest in the 460. It is NOT that impressive to me. Looks like a giant Camry or ES350 (which I've complained about since I first saw it), isn't really any faster, quieter, or more comfortable than the 430, and doesn't handle any better than a 430 with the Sport suspension or coilovers. NOW, the SOUND SYSTEM, is something to behold though. On good source material, it's flat out awesome. For example, the soundtrack to Master and Commander (with the DVD playing on the screen) where the cannonball comes through the fog past your head and crashes through the ship just behind you... then the aftermath.... that's simply chilling, it's so real sounding. If I had a 460 I'd probably sit in the garage and watch movies.
Old 02-10-09, 08:27 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
On good source material, it's flat out awesome. For example, the soundtrack to Master and Commander (with the DVD playing on the screen) where the cannonball comes through the fog past your head and crashes through the ship just behind you... then the aftermath.... that's simply chilling, it's so real sounding. If I had a 460 I'd probably sit in the garage and watch movies.
And that is why i built me a HT(bonus room over the garage) to handle that.

On a serious note tho, the LS460 is nice when modded up. I don't think is a huge jump over the LS430 minus a few new toys added, and some improvements on old features. I still would take one, but who knows what Lexus has up their sleeves for the next LS. BTW just think how cheap an LS600 & 460 will be in yrs surely they will entice some of us 430 owners.
Old 02-10-09, 09:04 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah TEE i like your setup you gots there. i had to choose between the car and the ht room and i'm sure you can figure out which one i went with. maybe one of these days i'll pay off a car, forget about upgrading it and then i can do some of those other cool things... or maybe one day i can have my ls and ht room too..

regarding the prices coming down on the ls600's, i keep hearing all this stuff about hybrid batteries being expensive to fix, i.e. that its not a good idea to go buy a cheap prius with 150k miles on it. i wonder if this holds true for the ls 600's as well? the resale value will drop, but how will the hybrid components hold up after high mileage or what is even considered high mileage for them??
Old 02-15-09, 04:54 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

what made me by a LS430,

well my first baby i ever drove was a 95 Toyota Avalon loved it, but ended up a total lost crashed it....sad news was i bought a 95 Acura TL and a 92 Acura integra both cars was good but the tranny shifted alittle to hard for me then, my tranny went on the Acura integra ended up selling the both of them ... then i bought another Toyota(lexus) ...95 ES 300 shifted welll drove like a dream and i promised myself i would never drive any car besides a Lexus or Toyota which are the same car and then my eyes got glued to the LS430 i love her like if she was my baby... Lexus we go hard!!!...(there is no better baby) lexus till the wheels fall off.....can wait for my girlfriend to cop the ES 330 or 350 coming SOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 03-12-09, 05:13 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Just a bump and thanks for all the stories ... anymore out there?

Just got back from an ATL-MCO trip in the LS430 and had a chance to explore just exactly how comfortable the 16 seating adjustments could be. Never knew what is was like to move the driver's seat bottom fwd and bkwd and what a difference it could make. Ahhh something new to love about my Lexus.

Quick Reply: What made you buy your LS430?