LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I've been violated

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 01:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Am also looking for another ride. I need a convertible I've had several throughout the years and once you own one, you always pine for another. Something about air swirling around you. Cars considered are: Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 911 Turbo, and Mercedes SL63. Mind you all of these would be pre-owned. If I were to keep the LS, then the cars in mind for that would be M3, SLK55, and Boxster. I know all of these will be money pits as I've done it before and you guys are going to flame me but I gotta live my life to the fullest
Hey no flame from me, if you can swing it, definitely do it! Money pits are only an issue if you don't have enough to fill the pit, if you do, there is no problem!

Good for you if you can

I only drive Lexus because they are the nicest cars I can afford, the instant I win the lotto, I am trading in my LS for a brand new Bentley/Rolls

Vantage is for style, 911 Turbo is for speed, and SL is a nice GT. I would question why not a SL65 instead of the SL63, used SL65 are very good deal right now, Twin Turbo V12 baby, OH YEAH!

Last edited by BNR34; 01-26-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 02:03 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
a vantage is respectable but i believe they are in line with the boxster, if you do go the aston route do it right and save up for a db9. not only would you be my hero but you would be driving one of the best vehicles ever made for driving. SOPhilly's got it right... JUST DO IT!!!
What got me thinking Aston Martin is they just opened a brand new dealer across the street from me. I would love a DB9 but even used its over 100k. The Vantage is three quarter scale of the DB9. I work right in the middle of car heaven. At the corners of the intersection are: Aston Martin, BMW, Rolls/Bentley/Lamborghini, Range Rover/Jaguar, Park Place Motors (all high end everything) and Acura dealers. Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi is about a mile away.

As for the SL63 vs SL65 either will do

I also bought a Yamaha Majesty scooter last year for fun and it scoots along quickly as I've taken it up to 105mph so I may turn that in too for "real" bike, like a Hayabusa. I had a sports bike before but due to having kids, wife said it had to go Now she was fine with the Majesty so I'm thinking I can pretty much swing for a busa now. As you can see, I like my toys. Also didn't mention that I bought a waverunner a couple month ago too despite its winter. Haven't even rode on it yet

Last edited by airtime; 01-26-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 02:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i hear the slk55 hands down will spank 97% of the normal cars you would be aped to pull up next to at a light, this is what i think when i see one of them.
That depends on where you live, in my neighborhood, a SLK55 would only be able to spank about 50~60% of the cars at any given light. Even my lightly modded 04' STi was able to spank a SLK55 from 0-80 mph, even if it was only by a small amount. Even a chipped 335i would spank a SLK55, and that is a very common car now a days.

a boxster is garbage; don't do yourself any favors, they are for people who just want to say they own a porsche. a 911 would be amazing but i wouldn't want to drive longer than 30 mins at a time. aston martin ehhh?? now your talking. a vantage is respectable but i believe they are in line with the boxster,
I agreed the boxster is garbage, but a Vantage is no where near the Boxster level. Even though the Vantage is not that fast by fast car standard, all the details on the car is very exquisite, it is a VERY stylish car. Where the Boxster is a cheap Porsche, the Vantage is an entry level exotic. I believe the Vantage is the cheapest car that can consider to be an exotic.

if you do go the aston route do it right and save up for a db9. not only would you be my hero but you would be driving one of the best vehicles ever made for driving.
I don't agree a DB9 is better then a Vantage, they are just different. The DB9 is a softer GT where the Vantage is a sports car. I only consider the DBS or Vanquish to be the king of Aston.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-26-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 02:59 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the price difference between the dbs and the db9?

the slk isn't what i was thinking about when i wrote that, my bad i guess i was thinking about the cl the sl or the e 55 amg's. therefore i believe a 12.3 1/4 mile in one of these amg's would easily take most vehicles at a light.

slightly unfare to completely rephrase my self but if its cool with you then i will: i don't think a lightly modified sti would beat 12.3 but it would be close and definitely not a chipped 335i to my knowledge. and stock vs. stock is a safer comparison because its only fair. if you want to say a chipped or a lightly modified, then compare a chipped or lightly modified 55 amg.

i see your from some fancy sounding place in cali so your probably right about the % being a lot lower or the competition a lot stiffer on the 55 amg vs * theory.

i don't know man i still think the db9 is the shiznittle though... not their most expensive car but my fav from what i have seen on the road at least.
Old 01-26-09, 04:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

what is the price difference between the dbs and the db9?
Roughly $100k.

the slk isn't what i was thinking about when i wrote that, my bad i guess i was thinking about the cl the sl or the e 55 amg's. therefore i believe a 12.3 1/4 mile in one of these amg's would easily take most vehicles at a light.

slightly unfare to completely rephrase my self but if its cool with you then i will: i don't think a lightly modified sti would beat 12.3 but it would be close and definitely not a chipped 335i to my knowledge. and stock vs. stock is a safer comparison because its only fair. if you want to say a chipped or a lightly modified, then compare a chipped or lightly modified 55 amg.

i see your from some fancy sounding place in cali so your probably right about the % being a lot lower or the competition a lot stiffer on the 55 amg vs * theory.
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. The CL/CLS/SL/S/55 got a blower, they are WAYY quicker then the SLK55 without a blower. They run low 12s with the blower, the SLK is a low 13s car, that's why I said my chipped STi and a chipped 335i would take it. You are right, no chipped STi/335i come remotely close to any stock blown 55. And yes, a blown 55 is quicker then 90% of cars at a light, even in my fancy neighborhood.

i don't know man i still think the db9 is the shiznittle though... not their most expensive car but my fav from what i have seen on the road at least.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the DB9 aren't nice. I was just saying it is not much better then the Vantage, just different.
Old 01-27-09, 04:22 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

if price wasn't an issue just between the bd9 and the vantage which would you pick?? also which is the flag ship car for aston martin??

hey airtime if you got it like that then go for it, have you ever considered an m5??
Old 01-27-09, 07:16 AM
airtime
Racer

if price wasn't an issue just between the bd9 and the vantage which would you pick?? also which is the flag ship car for aston martin?? hey airtime if you got it like that then go for it, have you ever considered an m5??
If price was not an issue then I'll go DB9/DBS/Vanquish. I'm looking for a convertible, so M5 would be out but M6 convertible . After talking over with the wife, she would prefer we get a vacation cabin in the woods or a cabin cruiser instead of another car.
Old 01-27-09, 07:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

After talking over with the wife, she would prefer we get a vacation cabin in the woods or a cabin cruiser instead of another car.
What's a cabin cruiser? Like a mobile home?
Old 01-27-09, 07:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah my wife always picks new furniture over new rims... i don't know whats wrong with her sometimes, man.... women, they just don't get it sometimes.
Old 01-27-09, 07:55 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

if price wasn't an issue just between the bd9 and the vantage which would you pick??
That is a tough question, since each of them are good for something. It really depends on what I want it for. Vantage look and drive A LOT sportier, it is a fun sports car, but it is a bad cruiser. The DB9 is a very elegant looking softer cruiser, but it got a V12. I am afraid I can't answer this question without having a preference in mind.

also which is the flag ship car for aston martin??
Right now in their production line up, it would be the DBS. But I still think the old Vanquish S was cooler, even though it is a lot more outdated. And Aston is coming out with their limited quantity million dollar super car, One-77.......so it all depends on how you look at it.
Old 01-27-09, 08:07 AM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34
What's a cabin cruiser? Like a mobile home?
Like this one so we can take the kids to the various islands around the Puget Sound in Seattle.
Old 01-27-09, 08:11 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Like this one so we can take the kids to the various islands around the Puget Sound in Seattle.
Oh I see, thanks for telling me
Old 01-27-09, 09:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so i recently moved to a place on the water too and i always thought a car was money pit but after talking to a lot of folks i have recently found out that a boat is an even bigger whole that you pour money into. if you got it like that then just do the dang thing. i was looking at a small sail boat, but where i live at they charge $4800 / year up front just for the smallest slip available. the slip prices go up very quickly from $4800/ year to well over 10k/ year. i just can't see myself paying more for the slip in about 2 years than the freakin boat itself.
Old 01-27-09, 09:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

so i recently moved to a place on the water too and i always thought a car was money pit but after talking to a lot of folks i have recently found out that a boat is an even bigger whole that you pour money into. if you got it like that then just do the dang thing. i was looking at a small sail boat, but where i live at they charge $4800 / year up front just for the smallest slip available. the slip prices go up very quickly from $4800/ year to well over 10k/ year. i just can't see myself paying more for the slip in about 2 years than the freakin boat itself.
I am guessing a slip is a parking spot for a boat?

Yeah a boat is on a whole other level of expense, then a plane........ I sure as hell glad I have no interest in either! My friend gave up half way getting his pilot license, because even getting the license itself cost A LOT!
Old 01-27-09, 10:10 AM
airtime
Racer

I know people who have boats and something needs to be repaired or fixed all the time. The slip price really depends on the locations but do run around $250 to $450/month for a 30' slot. That's what I'm trying to convince the wife. I also feel a cabin in the woods would lock me in going to the same vacation spot all the time, and I definitely don't want to do time share. Maybe a test drive with her will be convincing

Quick Reply: I've been violated