LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Did Mark Levinson actually design the system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 02:06 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Did Mark Levinson actually design the system?

He sold and left the company he founded. The sale included the selling of his name & trademark.

Mark Levinson, the company, is owned by Harmon Kardon. So, the question becomes did Mark Levinson, the man himself, design the system in the LS?

If you read the article on Wikipedia...it doesn't sound like he did, but rather sound engineers who work for Mark Levinson, the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Levinson

I was still selling high end audio when he formed Cello (I think he formed it with a guy named Sandy Berlin). Cello made some killer products - my favorite was a product called the Audio Suite, which is the only "equalizer" that audiophiles ever used. If my memory serves me correctly, the Audio Suite was $10,000.
Old 01-23-09, 02:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,400 Posts

No, he had nothing to do with it.

Recently I believe he joined our forum after googling his own name (see this thread). I did a little background digging and his info makes me think it's really him.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-23-09 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:51 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that thread and his post. I don't know call me Thomas but why would a man of his stature post in this forum opening himself up to all that bad press? By the way for all of you on face book Jennifer Love Hewit is one of my friends. Well the pictures look good but she won't come over for supper.
Old 01-23-09, 07:28 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the net... every man is a celebrity and every woman a super model. The internet has become the perfect camouflage for people who want to be anybody.

Why would out of the blue, Mark Levinsen, decide to post his first post on that post? Nothing to do over the holiday month?

The net is filled with 90% of real people and of those 90% only about 10% actual people. Some times, I don't even know who I am... With so many mergers and acquisitions of companies, do we really know what we're buying and from whom?
Old 01-23-09, 07:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,400 Posts

I've got pretty good reason to think it was him. Have't you ever googled your own name?

If you guys want to think it's some high school kit from Oklahoma that's up to you
Old 01-24-09, 09:05 AM
lxus4xms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...article/479340

I found this
Old 01-24-09, 10:16 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Probably is Levinson on his post

I emailed him yesterday after I went to the link where he posted. Told him about the place I worked while in college (weren't too many Levinson dealers back then).

He replied - from his reply, I think (can't swear to it) that it is Levinson. He told me he is now the chief sound advisor to LG and to go look at LG's newest compact home theater system that he tuned. He complained about today's "high end" audio being overpriced, under-engineered and falling short on the sound it delivers.

He is working on a new line of reference level audio components that he said will not be outrageously expensive. Levinson remembered the place where I worked. He didn't say anything about the LS430 system. He did say that he has developed an car audio design that a manufacturer would afford in their cars.

I talked to one of my buddies from the store back then, he reminded me that when Levinson was having financial challenges, a guy named Sandy Berlin put cash in, finally bought Levinson out (name & all), and then merged the company (the company was then Madrigal who owned all rights to Mark Levinson name & trademark) into Harmon/Becker.

So, yes I firmly believe that Mark Levinson, the man, did not have anything to do with the audio system in our cars. And, I believe that the fellow who emailed me back is who he says he is, but maybe not. Who knows?

His email seems genuine......didn't have a "poser" type hype to it.
Old 01-24-09, 03:51 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is the Mark Levinson that you've been emailing.

I thought LG? Compact Home Theater system? It's true:
main LG webpage showing a picture of Mark.
The new compact HT system itself with references to Mark.