LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nakamichi vs. Mark Levinson: IYHO Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 05:45 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

AlexusAnja makes a very good point - very few people know or care who Mark Levinson is.

Lexus may have an older demographic.....but many of the members of this forum are below the age of the demographic - I'm 45. My dad, who is 70 loves his jazz/big band, and he wants it to sound good.

A luxury car manufacturer should design and build a system that does most things well - jazz, classical, various rock, and a few others. You don't design for hip hop or rap, because an avid rap and hip hop listener is going to custom build their own system. IMHO, sound quality is not important for hip hop...just loud and thump.

Now, you've designed your system to do a decent number of things well. Hire some big Madison Ave. marketing firm to come up with names from their naming systems.....

Couple of other ways to solve the problem - Levinson says he has designed an automobile sound system that is outstanding, yet also makes economical sense for the manufacturer. They can use his brand (Red Rose), or make something up. He also works with LG who now makes great product, so they can be the provider.

Lexus has made it sound like Mark Levinson designed the LS system.....I find it disappointing that Lexus would skirt the edge of honesty.

Go to their site with this link:
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/luxury.asp
Old 02-07-09, 07:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey killergs; can i ask on what mode you listen to your ml mostly, i.e. radio, cd, satellite, and also what are your preferred genres of listening?? maybe its just what i listen to but i firmly believe that my old gs because of the smaller cabin made the whole system sound tighter and more responsive..

bigup '808'
Old 02-07-09, 03:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 1992 SC400 with Nak (I'm the original owner) and a 2004 LS430 Ultra Luxury with Mark Levinson. The Mark Levinson is far superior. But of course that may be partly due to the quietness of the LS430.
Old 02-07-09, 06:07 PM
Red Square
Rookie

what brand systems are in non-UL ls430? is there a name for it besides stock...
Old 02-07-09, 07:38 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
hey killergs; can i ask on what mode you listen to your ml mostly, i.e. radio, cd, satellite, and also what are your preferred genres of listening?? maybe its just what i listen to but i firmly believe that my old gs because of the smaller cabin made the whole system sound tighter and more responsive..

bigup '808'
I listen to Cd's b/c radio sounds lame, I wish I had sat radio, but no way i'm paying monthly fee for radio! I mostly listen to R/B, Hip Hop, and Rock. Even though I like the Nak in the GS, maybe Hip Hop was better in the GS w/ smaller cabin reasons, but overall I fell the ML in the LS is clearer and better.
Old 02-08-09, 05:23 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Listen to.....

I listen to CD's, iPod (vais tech sli), and satellite radio.

Music includes most everything except rap & hip hop. I like medium to decent volume but not loud.

System sounds best (IMO) in iPod mode, but it is important that the iPPod's equalizer is turned off. If not - lot of distortion
Old 02-08-09, 09:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hmmm, i would have thought it would sound better with the equalizer on and configured properly, but i have never tried it. in fact i don't even own an ipod.
Old 02-08-09, 10:25 AM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
We were at the Lexus:inspired event last night for the "unveiling" of the 2010 RX350....
You get to do all the fun stuff!!
Old 02-08-09, 01:46 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Sojah, go get yourself an iPod Nano

This will change your musical life. Load up to 16gb of music (8gb on smaller unit). I have 13gb on my iTunes which equals 3,300 songs.

The Vais Tech SLI makes your iPod work in your car with steering controls, display on Nav is nav installed, and it sounds great.

The iPod has a built in equalizer, but it doesn't need it for headphone use. Definitely keep it off when running in your car.
Old 02-08-09, 02:48 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drive it baby...

Originally Posted by focsle
You get to do all the fun stuff!!
ha ha... yeah, there was chocolate fountain there too, with plenty of strawberries and other fruits to just dip away. Surprisingly, from the starting gate, they were serving wine too. I had a few little snacks.

There was a driving event for the RX350 too yesterday, but we were not able to make it. Wonder if anyone else on forum had gone.
Old 02-09-09, 05:12 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

alexus, were the sales people really pushy or rather right on top of you trying to 'help' you answer any questions you might have??

mafpolo, i have a g1 phone with 16 gigs of all my favorite music. i guess the vais tech thing would probably work good for this too..
Old 02-10-09, 11:01 AM
haulin79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care if Mark Levinson designed the Mark Levinson system or not. He didn't. All I care is if it is a great system.

I don't care if Etsuro Nakamichi designed the Nakamichi system or not. He didn't. All I care is if it is a great system.

I think that it boils down to this for a company thats success rides on the name of its founder: Does the unique personality and tradition of quality persist even after its founders are gone?
Old 02-10-09, 11:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

YOu pose a good point there grasshoppa'?
Old 02-10-09, 05:48 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wine

Originally Posted by sojah
alexus, were the sales people really pushy or rather right on top of you trying to 'help' you answer any questions you might have??

mafpolo, i have a g1 phone with 16 gigs of all my favorite music. i guess the vais tech thing would probably work good for this too..
No, it was a showing event, no salespeople, atleast they didn't seem like salespeople to me. They were quite helpful with questions. They were probably presenters, given the full go-around of the new RX. If nothing else, the people serving the wine were pushier. I had no less than four servers come up to me asking if I wanted wine. NO !!!! I drove, I don't want to drink.

Going off track here... but let me bring it back to earth. The new RX350's ML actually sounded pretty good with the car off and nothing going around. I don't know how many speakers, but sounds better than the RX300 I have for sure.
Old 02-11-09, 04:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have noticed that occasionally i'll find a song on a cd that just sounds amazing on my ml but then the song will end and its back to the hollow classical effect sound. i wonder if they used one of these tactics???

Quick Reply: Nakamichi vs. Mark Levinson: IYHO Which is better?