LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

RE: LS430 front cup holder (not closing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 01:48 PM
davatron88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RE: LS430 front cup holder (not closing)

I have a 04 LS430 and the front cup holders do not stay closed. If I drive over a bump or something the cup holder opens up. Anyone else experience this?

Any fixes for it? Or do I need to replace it? Cost?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-09, 01:50 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the other morning i was driving to work and i must have thought i was still in my gs400 when i took the exit ramp which i used to be able to do at 40mph no problem well apparently 35 mph is still way to fast in the ls430 and once again i managed to spill coffee all over myself while also trying to merge into traffic... i would like to thank toyota personally for this!
Old 02-13-09, 06:01 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure what Sojah's comment has to do with your question Dava.

The latching mechanism is a simple mechanical device, so it's probably bent a little. If you can twist around enough to get a look at the way it works, there is probably a place where a well-placed screwdriver or knife blade could wiggle enough new air into it so that it will latch properly. It's not electrical or pneumatic or anything exotic; just a simple sheet metal latch.
Old 02-14-09, 12:30 AM
davatron88
Driver School Candidate

thanks Drjfrmla. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.
Old 02-14-09, 09:58 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

DrJfromLA, i guess i misread the original post as to be that the little swing arm on the front cup holder wont stay tight against the cup, hence the won't stay closed. now that you mentioned it and i reread the post it seems that the whole cup holder device thing wont stay in its closed latched position. if this is what he was talking about then i guess i was mistaken in my agreeing with dava on. sorry for the kunfuscxion... carry on!
Old 04-17-09, 06:58 AM
hrp
Rookie

OK y'all,
Which is correct of the above suggestions? . My entire cup holder assembly although completely will not remain retracted. It opens and closes smoothly and the "arms" are intact. It appears to be "sprung" from my 60 lb dog stepping on it. Is there an easy fix or do I have to remove the console woodgrain cover to get to it??
Thanks,
HRP (aka ****)
Old 04-18-09, 09:18 AM
MERKEDLS
Driver

very simple....i did it the other day to mine.....
*put the car in neutral or drive and unscrew the shiftknob (try and do this with the car off...lol)
*remove the little wood peice that has the rear sunshade button on it.(it pulls towords you and is secured by 2 or 4 clips, cant remember.
*then the big wood peice comes up with a few clips as well.
*once that is off the cupholder comes off with a few screws and you will be able to see and mess with the little locking peice.

its not to difficult and you should be able to do it in 15 minutes.
Old 04-19-09, 06:12 PM
hrp
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of town for the weekend and just checked the forums.

QUESTION FOR MERKEDLS: my LS430 doesn't have he little wood peice that has the rear sunshade button on it.(it pulls towords you and is secured by 2 or 4 clips, cant remember.

Is this where the controls for the front heated seats are???
Old 04-19-09, 07:18 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default heated seats

Originally Posted by hrp
Thanks for the suggestions. Out of town for the weekend and just checked the forums.

QUESTION FOR MERKEDLS: my LS430 doesn't have he little wood peice that has the rear sunshade button on it.(it pulls towords you and is secured by 2 or 4 clips, cant remember.

Is this where the controls for the front heated seats are???
yes, the heated seats, but even some early models did not have heated seats so it only had the Lexus logo where the buttons where. Anyway, it is the lowest piece on the center console before the big flat piece that the shifter is on. Use a fishing line or some sort of plastic loop and get it behind the trim and then pull straight out.
Old 04-19-09, 07:28 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default loop and pull

This is the piece you want to remove and hook a loop to the green points and then pull right out.

Best of luck, but won't take much, it's easy.
Attached Thumbnails RE: LS430 front cup holder (not closing)-cointray_circle.jpg  
Old 04-20-09, 08:29 AM
hrp
Rookie

Thanks,
the pic's really help. Will try to get it done this week and report back.
Old 05-06-09, 11:34 AM
hrp
Rookie

Default Weird Follow-up to Cupholder Problem.

My cupholder problem is solved. I was rear-ended while at a stoplight recently (since my cupholder began failing to remain retracted) and took the car into the shop for repairs today. As a courtesy, they agreed to check the cupholder problem since I had not had the time or fortitude pull the console cover for the first time.

There was a mouse nest in my console. Apparently, about 2 months ago, a mouse had gnawed its way into a 50 lb bag of dog food which we brought home in the trunk. It had set up houskeeping in the nest in my Lexus' console preventing complete closure of the cupholder. Since I keep my car well detailed and the leather dressed with Zaino's "Leather In A Bottle" making the car smell like new leather, any signs or scents of "mousal" habitation were masked, removed, or covered up. At any rate, I did apologize to my wife's standard poodle, Savannah, for my falsely accusing her as the cause.

Thought y'all would appreciate this info. I know the folks at the body and interior shop got a big chuckle out of it.
Old 05-06-09, 12:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

wow, i wasn't expecting to read that last bit about the mouse... guess you can never rule that out as a possible cause huh?? lol
Old 05-06-09, 12:36 PM
hulla
Driver School Candidate

Did they find the mouse? You probably squished it while trying to retract the cup holder. lol
Old 05-06-09, 04:36 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hrp
My cupholder problem is solved. I was rear-ended while at a stoplight recently (since my cupholder began failing to remain retracted) and took the car into the shop for repairs today. As a courtesy, they agreed to check the cupholder problem since I had not had the time or fortitude pull the console cover for the first time.

There was a mouse nest in my console. Apparently, about 2 months ago, a mouse had gnawed its way into a 50 lb bag of dog food which we brought home in the trunk. It had set up houskeeping in the nest in my Lexus' console preventing complete closure of the cupholder. Since I keep my car well detailed and the leather dressed with Zaino's "Leather In A Bottle" making the car smell like new leather, any signs or scents of "mousal" habitation were masked, removed, or covered up. At any rate, I did apologize to my wife's standard poodle, Savannah, for my falsely accusing her as the cause.

Thought y'all would appreciate this info. I know the folks at the body and interior shop got a big chuckle out of it.
You need to get rid of the dog, and get a mouser CAT.. LOL funny story.. Friend of mine had mice in his air cleaner on an older chevy truck once.. Got one stuck in the carb somehow.. LOL Couldn't figure why his choke did not work properly..

Quick Reply: RE: LS430 front cup holder (not closing)