LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vs S430/500

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 06:51 AM
dadewi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 vs S430/500

I know that the answers will be biased. Has anyone in this forum owned a LS430 and a S430/500? I like both cars and wanted to know which is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking about purchasing probably within the next year. Thank you all!
Old 02-17-09, 08:45 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry I don't own any but had the same thought a few months ago when checking out the LS.

Two things, you want the brand or problem free? I think MB S class has much better brand image over the LS430. The size of the S is bigger and longer too. I don't like the inside look because of the layout in the center console (especially those buttons on the middle) It doesn't look slick.

LS is more solid and probably doesn't have that much of a problem compares to the S.

For me, I am going to get the LS (searching right now). One of the reason is I don't want to park a MB in my "apartment" parking lot. In just won't fit my poor man status
Old 02-17-09, 09:36 AM
dadewi
Driver

I really haven't heard anything bad about either vehicle. I have heard good things about both. Only that the MB may be a little more expensive for parts, but they both seem to be very nice vehicles.

Also, I am looking at the 2004-2005 for both models!
Old 02-17-09, 11:21 AM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

I've driven quite a number of W220 chassis MB S-classes and even considered getting a 2000-2003 S class; however the reliability/cost of fixing them really steered me away. Driven the S55 AMG Kompressor, there's no comparison in terms of engine performance, the S55 AMG-K wins.

Handling/Ride quality: I really didn't get to drive it through all different terrains but in the city and over pot holes and speed bumps, I would say the 2 are comparable. On the highway, the LS430 UL seems to be a little bit better in dampening the road noise and bumps; however there might be some variances in the mileage and condition of the MB and LS I've driven.

If I were to compare the UL's interior to a S500 with all the options, I would pick the UL. If we were comparing the base models (LS430/S430), I would choose the S-class.

With a lot of thought, I ended up with the LS430, if money and reliability wasn't an issue, I would of probably gone out with an optioned out S55 AMG-K.

You could probably find an early w220 S430/S500 in the low teens, but just be prepared to pay for any repair costs; especially the air suspension.
Old 02-17-09, 01:08 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

I own both. I have an '04 LS430 and an '04 S430--they sit beside one another in my garage every night. The LS is equipped with the Premium Package only--no nav or upgraded interior. The Mercedes is a "base" with no options but automatic trunk closure. They are equivalent. They get within 1-2 mpg of one another (the Mercedes gets slightly better). The W220 is my daily driver. I like the adjustable suspension, the well-designed seats, and the inevitable envy of others when you're driving Mercedes' flagship sedan. It has a 7-speed transmission. The Lexus has a 6-speed, so the W220 feels and is quicker (and that may account for the better gas mileage). They weigh within a few pounds of each other, but the W220 "feels" heavier. It's an apples and oranges decision, really. The Lexus is solid, well-made, dead stone reliable, and quiet as can be. The Lexus is my wife's daily driver. She strongly prefers it to my W220 because "it rides softer." If you set the W220 suspension to its stiffest settting, it will out corner most of the rice burners kids drive these days (I suckered one off into the weeds on a cloverleaf not long ago). The Lexus will not do as well in the twisties. The W220 is the most electronically and mechanically complicated car I have ever owned, so it has more potential for repair than the Lexus. The W220 has pneumatic suspension like the air suspension on the UL. It's reliable from '04 model year on, the '00-'03s had issues. That's it in a nutshell. If I had to buy one or the other, I'd buy the W220. I bought the Lexus first and thought it was the best car I had ever owned. Until I got the W220.

If you get a hot-rod W220 (AMG), it's a whole different car. Stay away from the V-12 models, even if 500+ hp makes your blood boil.

Don't throw rocks, boys, I'm just sharing my experience and my point of view.
Old 02-17-09, 02:34 PM
dadewi
Driver

Great post DrJfrmLA. Thanks!
Old 02-17-09, 04:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well how is the front cup holder on the mb s*, cuz mine in my ls430 sucks!?!
Old 02-17-09, 04:35 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
I own both. I have an '04 LS430 and an '04 S430--they sit beside one another in my garage every night. .
That would make a cool pic, can you post some?
Old 02-17-09, 06:43 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a 2004-to-2004 comparo (just pictures) of the two from MSN:

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...&v=t103809&r=1

The ergonomics of the MB alone would KILL me. They've gone from moving power window buttons from the center dash, to the center shifter console, to the door (fine, finally), but AT THE BOTTOM ?!?!?! This was only one of two things on the current Cadillac CTS that killed it for me. Window button... on driver's door... on handle... on top. Simple, not rocket science.

Yes, you will get a biased answer on ClubLexus, just like you surely would get the other biased angle on any MB forum. People love Lexus for a reason and people love MB/BMW for a reason, and usually the reasons are not the same.

People still believe there is a "wow" factor with driving a MB but personally, I don't feel that is the case any more. With leasing and low financing being so prevalent in the last decade, really, any Joe/Jane can afford to "have" a luxury vehicle. The "oh man, that's a rich person" feeling I think is gone. I've driven the company MB a few times and I feel I get less stares with the S than with my LS430. Maybe it's from me driving the LS430 longer that I feel I get more stares or it's from people wanting to see why the delivery man is driving a Lexus....
Old 02-17-09, 09:26 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a huge plus for MB S500 is the size, the interior is much bigger than LS430. With the S500, you can put your seat all the way back, and still the people in the rear seats will have ton of leg room, which I really like. Both nice cars, can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-17-09, 09:45 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior Dimensions

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
a huge plus for MB S500 is the size, the interior is much bigger than LS430. With the S500, you can put your seat all the way back, and still the people in the rear seats will have ton of leg room, which I really like. Both nice cars, can't go wrong with either.
I don't know too much about MB so don't know if there is SWB and LWB versions, but again comparing 2004 years, the S500 numbers are:

Interior Dimensions
LS 430 Sedan S-Class S500

Front Headroom (in.) 38.10 37.60
Rear Headroom (in.) 37.90 38.40
Front Legroom (in.) 44.00 41.30
Rear Legroom (in.) 37.60 40.30
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 58.30 59.20
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 58.20 58.30
Front Hip Room (in.) 56.70 59.90
Rear Hip Room (in.) 57.30 59.40

The rear and front legroom split, if you adjust the fronts to be comparable, then the rear room is about the same too. The MB does whollop the LS in hip room, so if you have big hips, that's a big plus. Broad shouldered people are good for the MB too.

Some times raw numbers don't tell the full story because of how seats can be designed. How the dash can be layed out, steering wheel, etc.

As you said, both are good vehicles and "can't go wrong" but I think there will be less things in the LS to go wrong, than the MB. Then again, you have an LS and E series, how has your experience been with maintenance and reliability?
Old 02-17-09, 09:48 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I would have to agree with KILLERGS4. I have driven both cars for a while and IMO I would have to say the most bang for your buck would be the LS430 hands down. Don't get me wrong the S500 is nice but not as reliable as the LS430.
Old 02-17-09, 11:01 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I owned both(LS430Lexus/S430Benz)

Originally Posted by dadewi
I know that the answers will be biased. Has anyone in this forum owned a LS430 and a S430/500? I like both cars and wanted to know which is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking about purchasing probably within the next year. Thank you all!
The thing I noticed is the Benz handles much better. The reliability of the LS430 was much better but, it depends on taste. If you want handling and looks from everyone get the Benz. If you want reliability and looks get the Lexus. Had tech issues with the S430 but, that could have been the car I had. Every car company has one bad one in a bunch!

Benz got me more looks and I loved the handling of the car and the interior. The Lexus cost wise makes sense of cost is an issue! If you feel that cost is a non issue I say get the Benz. If cost is a issue get the Lexus because I've had less issues with the Lexus(any type) than I had with the Benz! I say both are good chice but, you must go with what YOU LIKE ONLY! I gave a non biased take but, this is a pro-lexus site so, you know what is mostly felt here! I say go with either one and you'll be happy!

L.G.N.M
Old 02-18-09, 03:36 AM
dadewi
Driver

Thanks, guys! There have been some good posts. Have I decided yet? No. This is really a tough decision because I dont' keep cars a couple years and trade them in. I keep cars for like 7, 8 years or even more. I really get my money's worth out of a car when I purchase one. (Still on the fence)...
Old 02-18-09, 04:28 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the past i have always searched for really high mileage versions of the whatever models i am trying to compare and if say 1 of the choices has some really really high mileage choices out there that are still selling for a decent amount then that tells me it should last longer and hold value a little longer as well. not sure if there is any science to this but when deciding on my old gs400 this was a big factor.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs S430/500