LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

front exhaust pipe leak ls430

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 07:54 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekbiker
Sorry to bump this thread again but my 02 LS 430 needed the same exhaust repair. I went to American Muffler in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. They charged $250 to replace the pipes, from behind the O2 sensors to the front of the catalytic converter, including the y-pipe. They did a great job at what I think is a reasonable price. However, they did not put back on the heat shields. Will this result in any codes? Will the exhaust gases cool too much before going through the catalytic converter? Will this affect the gas mileage? Maybe I will post pics if anyone is interested.
The OEM installed heat shields maintain exhaust velocity, improve efficiency of catalytic converter on start up, increases catalytic converter life, decrease heat dissipation unto undercarriage and increase engine output.

Probably also reduces heat soak into surrounding systems and components on shutdown.

Hope you saved your original shields.

Hard to understand why any reputable muffler shop would overlook this.

Have the installer finish the job

Explaim it to them they are identified in a Clublexus forum posting.

Also, ask them what type and grade of steel used...

Share your findings.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-12-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:37 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The OEM installed heat shields maintain exhaust velocity, improve efficiency of catalytic converter on start up, increases catalytic converter life, decrease heat dissipation unto undercarriage and increase engine output.

Probably also reduces heat soak into surrounding systems and components on shutdown.
Huh, really? I'm surprised to hear basically all of this. Can you explain the science/reasoning behind these things?

Decreasing heat dissipation into the undercarriage I can definitely understand, but other than having a slightly warmer dashboard/floorboard/tunnel, wouldn't think that this would really be of any concern.

A heat shield being able to improve the converter's efficiency on startup and increase it's life? How does this work?

Increase engine performance and maintain exhaust velocity?

I'm trying to visualize all of this, and am having a hard time figuring it out.

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Explaim it to them they are identified in a Clublexus forum posting.

Also, ask them what type and grade of steel used...

Share your findings.
Now this, I like lol. That should get their attention. Maybe preface this by saying how many members the site has since they might not have heard of the site and might assume that we only have a handful of members?
Old 07-13-18, 03:50 AM
Geekbiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand some of the effects because the heat shields would maintain a fairly even temperature inside the exhaust, especially in cold climates. However, In my case, with the warm weather in South Florida, I don't think there would be much effect on the car's performance. The muffler shop is a very reputable business that has been at the same location for the last 30 years. They seemed to be very familiar with this problem on the car and even said they do this repair for cars that come from the local dealer, JM Lexus. In any event, I have the removed heat shields in a box in my trunk which I kept just in case there is a problem and I think I need to re-install them.