LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

is CPO worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 05:08 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is CPO worth it??

iam looking for a 2006 ls430, local dealer as 2 of them, and wants waaay more than on ebay. CPO i belive have a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
thanks
bj
Old 02-19-09, 05:59 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my opinion; if you are the type to take your car to the dealership every time the oil change is required or maintenance is required or you have any problems whatsoever then cpo may be for you. if you are a little on the cheaper side and don't want that 1000% piece of mind plus warranty then i would not go cpo.

i started out looking at a cpo ul and went with a non cpo ul for less dough & less mileage in better overall condition. it reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy where Chris Farley says something like "i can take a sh?t in a box and put a guaranteed on it, guaranteed piece of sh?t". cpo is just a label from a dealership who's goal is to make as much money as possible with the least amount of effort as possible.
Old 02-19-09, 09:52 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

IMO if the vehicle is ~3 years old and has only a year left of warranty then CPO is absolutely the way to go. In order for the vehicle to meet CPO standards it has to be "like new". This means the brake discs\pads must be in good order, the tires have to have good tread life left, etc. At 3yrs of age with normal driving most of these things will have to be replaced shortly, and just the tires\brakes will probably cost you $2K. If you think the CPO isn't what it should be, tell the dealer and they'll fix it.

If you plan on buying the Lexus extended Platinum warranty for another 3-4 yrs that will cost about $2K at a discounted rate. If you go CPO this is of course included anyway.

I'll be posting in May about my first 12 months experience with my 2005 CL LS. It's been great so far, and I've absolutely had a bunch of stuff replaced in my car during this time under extended warranty. Nothing major mechanically, but the cost is steep for what has been replaced. If you are looking at a CL or UL model, then the extended warranty is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Power closing doors, Laser Cruise and air suspension (UL) alone would cost some $$$$ to repair.
Old 02-19-09, 10:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

so this thread even more proves my point about there being basically 2 types of people: those that get extended warranties and those that don't. find out which one you are and buy accordingly.
Old 02-19-09, 03:17 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wanderer99
IMO if the vehicle is ~3 years old and has only a year left of warranty then CPO is absolutely the way to go. In order for the vehicle to meet CPO standards it has to be "like new". This means the brake discs\pads must be in good order, the tires have to have good tread life left, etc. At 3yrs of age with normal driving most of these things will have to be replaced shortly, and just the tires\brakes will probably cost you $2K. If you think the CPO isn't what it should be, tell the dealer and they'll fix it.

I agree, in theory. I bought a CPO thinking that it will be "like new."

But not all dealership may practice this theory. Westminster Lexus is the one that didn't practice this theory with me. After two oil changes, I had to change rear brake pads. Of course, Westminster Lexus refused to replace them gratis. AC filter was clogged up - just reset the button. There were other issues with the car and Westminster failed. Lexus HQ was

CPO or not, buyer beware. Then, you may not need additional warranty.

Best wishes
Old 02-19-09, 06:25 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CPO or not

Originally Posted by GoldGS3
I agree, in theory. I bought a CPO thinking that it will be "like new."

But not all dealership may practice this theory. Westminster Lexus is the one that didn't practice this theory with me. After two oil changes, I had to change rear brake pads. Of course, Westminster Lexus refused to replace them gratis. AC filter was clogged up - just reset the button. There were other issues with the car and Westminster failed. Lexus HQ was

CPO or not, buyer beware. Then, you may not need additional warranty.

Best wishes
Lexus dealers, like any, are owned and operated by people... and there are good people, and there are bad people. The CPO process isn't "replace everything and bring it back up to new" it's do the 110 (or however many step) point inspection, and anything broken replace and anything below a certain tolerance replace. If say Lexus sets brake pad allowable for CPO at x mm, and a vehicle comes in just a tad above, it's dealer's call to say "hey, this meets the requirement" or "this is barely passing, I'm going to replace it and have a happy customer."

When I was first looking, I also went the dealership, CPO route and one vehicle was up on the lift when I went to look. They were supposedly in the process of replacing the tires and all four brakes to get it CPO'd. If this really was done, then that person was getting a nicely done '05 ML with new tires and brakes. The vehicle had 32K on it, so those items probably needed changing anyway, or they could have just been at the minimum for passing CPO.

For me, I got at a non-dealership an '04 with 38K and this place did right with the vehicle. New tires, new pads (I checked), engine bay was all cleaned up, vacuumed all nice. Shopping like anything else is not rushing and finding the right deal at the right place that you feel comfortable with. If you walk in and you don't feel comfortable, then it's probably not a good place. Trust your instincts.
Old 02-20-09, 09:59 AM
tkbalt
Driver

It is to me. While I do not generally sign up for extended warranty plans, I have done so on 4 Lexus purchases. We generally buy 3 year old off lease models. The last was a 2001ES - drove it for 4+ years. We just picked up a 2003 LS430 with 38,000 miles (yesterday). As with my prior lexus CPO's, I am confident I will use it. While these are relatively trouble free cars, when something does go wrong - it is expensive to repair. The CPO provides some comfort that you will not face any serious repairs. As prior poster mentions, it is really a comfort thing - opinions vary.

Last edited by tkbalt; 02-20-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 01:34 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a discussion posted in the FAQ page in regards to extended warranties that may be relevent. Many others are available.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nty-04-ls.html

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 02-22-09 at 01:39 PM.