Refrigerator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 08:08 PM
msingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refrigerator?

Hi all,
Long time member, but been hanging out in LX and SC groups for the longest time. Sold both last year and am now looking at buying an 04 UL. Couple quick questions for you guys.

1. Does the heated/cooled seats work any better/worse than than old fashioned 'heated' seats with the heating element? The heated seats didn't work at all in the one that I test drove-so I don't have a good point of reference. It was weak in the SC and one of the features that I love on my BMW..

2. Refrigerator-does it really work? Or more gimmicky?

3. Can you get a remote starter that will work with 'keep your key in your pocket and still start the car' option?

Thanks all. Hopefully can post some pics here soon once I complete the deal.
Old 02-24-09, 04:28 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the heated seats in my 05 ls430 ul take longer to heat up than any of the other 4 vehicles i have owned (which is really annoying, especially on mornings in Feb when it is 21 degrees outside) that had heated seats. but, in the ls they stay at a nice warm temp once they get going, and don't give you 2nd degree burns after about 20 mins like most of my previous vehicles did,, i hope this makes sense??

i haven't gotten to use my fridge in the warmer months yet and as far as i know it only blows the cold air when the actual ac is on... it will keep your stuff slightly cooler slightly longer, i think of at least when the ac is not on as more of a big thermal lunch box.

i have heard that there is only like one remote starter that will work with the UL and i read a lot of problems with attempting this. there was something tricky about this setup but if you search i'm sure you'll find the same thread i did.
Old 02-24-09, 05:39 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rear fridge is sort of a novelty,, it will keep the soda cool but not cold if ya like it at that level,, have kept chocolate bars in it and at least they did not melt and we had left the car in some sunny 90+ temps for a few hours,,

the heat & cool seats I believe are totally controlled by the amount of heat & air-condition output,, they are not fast to react to either mode but the heat does work fine once the engine block has started to warm,, the cool seats in my 05 are mostly a joke,, the blower does not have adequate power to move the air through all the vent holes in the leather so where there is body contact it gets hot,, it certainly could be better,,

don't have any remote starter so cannot comment,,

Derry
Old 02-24-09, 07:20 AM
msingh
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks all

Thanks all for the responses, seems sort of what I expected. It's too bad the heated/cooled seats aren't 'resolved' from Lexus.

I am still working on the deal with local dealer for an 04 w/ 65K CPO. They are asking 24K-and of course are not 'willing to budge' but that is the first conversation....so we will see how it goes.

Hopefully, I can post 'look at my new LS..' pics soon!!!

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-09, 10:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fridge is passing "air" temp as it's coming from blower. There is no separate condensor to cool the unit. It's more an "ice box" that has an air feed. So, with any ice box, if you put cold sodas to start, with cool air, it will stay cool and warm slowly. If you put warm soda, it is not going to cool beyond the AC output temp.

Yes, the Lexus seats stink for the cool air. Heat is okay, seems to be temp controlled and not just "ON" and keeps on heating. My RX just heats and heats and heats that it eventually gets HOT and starts making the lower back itchy.

Remote starter, are you referring to in conjunction with the SmartAccess or just regular keyless entry? If regular keyless entry, then almost any "remote starter" you can install and link up with your "new" FOB instead. With the SmartAccess, it's questionable. Like a previous post said, there might only be ONE remote that will work in conjunction with the SmartAccess.

Hey, good luck with your find and may you have an LS soon.
Old 02-24-09, 11:45 AM
msingh
Driver School Candidate

Default So why?

Ok, based on what I have read, and thinking out loud-what is the advantage of going to the UL package?

The 'refrigerator' is weak
The massaging seats just 'rumble' vs. massage
The air purifier is good
I see on the forums that folks have had mixed results with the air susp.

It seems the Custom Luxury package would have all of the rest of the good stuff i.e. Power doors, INtuitive park assist.

Maybe easier to find the UL vs. CL?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-24-09, 11:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the UL is the only one with air susp. this is why i purchased it, all the other things are just extras. the UL is much more quiet due to the increased sound dampening and double paned glass. the rear seats recline and the center rear armrest has the radio and climate controls. rear heated and cooled seats (not sure if other model has rear heated and cooled seats though). side sun shades as well. and i like the pretty plastic square L emblem cutout embedded in the grill.

i would personally prefer a slightly larger trunk and the rear pass thru rather than the cooler box, but hey.

hopefully i am about to have the datasystems controller installed and then i will have completed my goal of having a dropped ls430. aftermarket air suspension will cost a lot, but buying a non UL will save you a lot, i guess you have to figure out what you want more.
Old 02-24-09, 12:27 PM
WoRKeDiT
Driver

if u get remote start with smart key access.Its not worth it u have to remote start the car with the remote then when u want to drive off u have to shut the remote start down and restart the car with the key. The car can't see two keys at once if it does it thinks someone is stealing the car. Pain in the *** not worth the hassel
Old 02-24-09, 12:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
i haven't gotten to use my fridge in the warmer months yet and as far as i know it only blows the cold air when the actual ac is on... it will keep your stuff slightly cooler slightly longer, i think of at least when the ac is not on as more of a big thermal lunch box.
Right, gotta remember to have the rear A/C on.
Old 02-24-09, 12:45 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the wife and grandkids love the rear massage seats,, they say it feels sooooo good,, I wish they would have placed in the front seats so everyone could enjoy them,,

Derry
Old 02-24-09, 12:52 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i think the new ls has them in the fronts too. i'd prolly fall a sleep if they had them in the front what with my jp neck pad and all... zzZZzz....

i saw a special about the CL 63 AMG last night, and yeah,, thats about all i can think about today,, but it was also 200k so that helps me to keep it all in perspective at least.
Old 02-24-09, 02:35 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

my favorite thing about the UL is the window shades on the rear doors.... simple but i love it... would n't even tint that car if i had it..

don't really care about: fridge, rear heating, suede roof liner, etc...
air suspension... just afraid if has problems after 100K $$$ to fix... would rather get regular and put coilovers or air..
Old 02-24-09, 03:23 PM
msingh
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Last Question I promise....

Ok guys, last one and I really promise this time.

Local dealer has an 04 LS UL for $23.9K. 65K miles
Certified. He also of course says he is under market etc.

Edmunds, KBB, everyone else says it’s a steal, however I know from buying my last car in November that they are out of date with the current market conditions.

I can't get a good read from ebay, cars.com, autotrader, as the prices are so drastically all over the place.

If you all think it seems reasonable-I will do the deal tomorrow....
Thanks
M.
Old 02-24-09, 03:48 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msingh

Edmunds, KBB, everyone else says it’s a steal, however I know from buying my last car in November that they are out of date with the current market conditions.

I can't get a good read from ebay, cars.com, autotrader, as the prices are so drastically all over the place.

If you all think it seems reasonable-I will do the deal tomorrow....
Thanks
M.
Being in Illinois you might want to check out McGrath Lexus .. Some nice units there.. or is it mcgrath?? Talk to Jim and tell him Budhah sent ya.. Seems like nice guy..

http://www.mcgrathlexusofchicago.com...&modelNames=LS
Old 02-24-09, 05:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jump on it...

Originally Posted by msingh

Personally, at that price, I would pull the trigger. What are you going to get in this market new or used, with all the UL goodies at that price? Also, 65K is a little bit high, but not for an LS which can run without a blink to 200K without a hickup.

Someone mentioned the plastic cover on grill, that is only if your vehicle has the Pre-Collision System (PCS) which was an option on UL as well as CL. Also, the dual pane glass for quietness is in the CL trim as well. Really, the only big ones the UL has that CL does not have is the rear seat goodies and door sunshade, all else the CL has also, or atleast available.

Good luck hunting... but a UL is excellent choice is you like all the goodies.

Quick Reply: Refrigerator?