LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

replacing my ultra suspension setup for coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 08:44 PM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacing my ultra suspension setup for coilovers

Please I need some help I have decided rip out my air suspension for either tein coilovers or the stock sport suspension ie (euro tuned). But I want the sportier of the two. Does any one here know which one would handle better and be more fun?
Old 02-27-09, 05:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe that the sport tuned euro tuned is more than just coilovers. i believe if you search you would find all the differences, as in sway bars, stiffer control arms, and all those other fancy suspension pieces. i know you could easily drop 5k on a full suspension kit that would make it very nice, but then you just have an ls that handles like a stock is. the tein coilovers would be the cheapest route i believe...

someone please correct my ASSumptions
Old 02-27-09, 07:29 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did your air suspension go out?
Old 02-27-09, 08:01 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

tochoks22, are you going to do the swap yourself? I am doing the same thing shortly.
Old 02-27-09, 10:10 AM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

i too am ditching the air ride for Tein CS's.
Old 02-27-09, 08:19 PM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

my air suspension didn't go out, the handling is just too sloppy and doesn't make me feel confident, I still have a 98 ls with spring setup and I feel safer in it. I hope coilovers will do that for me.
Old 02-28-09, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

This will be quite informative

What I like is the air suspension comfort BUT it needs larger sway bars.

On my GS the coilovers were nice but didn't remove the body sway unlike the aftermarket sway bars (daizen).

Too bad the LS430 didn't come with active suspension. This is why the AMGs are so smooth on straightaways and can corner with confident. Just a pain the *** and expensive as hell when they break

If anything, I'll look for aftermarket sways before changing out my air suspension (while they're still good)
Old 02-28-09, 07:53 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

any of you that really end up taking the air off let me know and i will buy the oe stuff you remove!!
Old 02-28-09, 08:13 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Just wondering i though the air suspension is much better than coilovers and springs?????
Old 03-01-09, 10:02 AM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Default air suspension sucks it drifts, Floats, bump steers

the air suspension claims from lexus from my stand point in total hype.
Mine for sure is. u can't take your eyes off the road for a second with out drifting in to another lane, I have also driven 3 others same year same spec and they do the same thing. I wonder If there are any that dont do this.
Old 03-01-09, 12:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it took me a little while to get used to the ls430 drifting from lane to lane on the highway, and i was coming from a gs400 which did not do this at all. i do know what you are talking about but i have gotten used to how it steers now and i hardly notice it at all any more. my grandfathers cadi and my other grandfathers lincoln town car both bounce around on the highway much worse than my ls ul.
Old 03-01-09, 01:55 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, I've driven a few UL on the highway during my test drives while getting an LS and none of them had any "self steering" that you guys are describing. Are you sure your alignments are not off? I have not come from Ferrari or Porsches, but I've had plenty of Honda/Acura in the past and thought they were pretty straight and steedy and I don't feel any variance with the LS.

Maybe it's an issue with UL suspensions that take on some miles, they just start driving themselves...
Old 03-01-09, 03:11 PM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Default a 5- 10 minute test driive wont tell.

I took a test drive on this same car I am complaining about and didn't feel a thing partly because when you are test driving or when you are in a new vehicle u are kind of learning the vehicle.
Old 03-01-09, 04:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Then do 30 min...

Originally Posted by tochoks22
I took a test drive on this same car I am complaining about and didn't feel a thing partly because when you are test driving or when you are in a new vehicle u are kind of learning the vehicle.
Did you test drive at a Lexus dealership, or from a used car place? The Lexus dealerships I went through pretty much let us loose on the cars. I went about 30 min. on one vehicle and the used car place I eventually bought from had the same policy of just letting the potential buyer go alone if they preferred. Each time, I did several miles on local, then about five to six on highway. What you are saying is true though, during a quick drive, it's hard to notice everything that might be off with the vehicle.

Anyway, my Custom Luxury does not exhibit any wandering, so could be an air suspension issue. I do wonder if the vehicle has a self leveling feature where it knows the vehicle is leaning to one side or atleast one corner. Otherwise, how would one know that an air bag has gone bad if it's minor?

Oh well... I would say do some more research and get a nice coilover with stiff springs.
Old 03-02-09, 09:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tochoks22
the air suspension claims from lexus from my stand point in total hype.
Mine for sure is. u can't take your eyes off the road for a second with out drifting in to another lane, I have also driven 3 others same year same spec and they do the same thing. I wonder If there are any that dont do this.
All stock UL have that drifting issue from the factory, it is due to the crappy alignment setting from the factory. Mine was that way when I first got it, after I realigned the car with my own perfect alignment setting, it goes dead straight just like any other normal car.

Quick Reply: replacing my ultra suspension setup for coilovers