LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

my air suspension ls430 2004 sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 10:08 AM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my air suspension ls430 2004 sucks

My air suspension is just awful. for anyone who in any remote way enjoys driving this is a complete no no no. The car floats, drifts, bump steers very heavily over rough terrain. The car has been dealer serviced. I have had the car since it had 20k miles. I have also driver 3 others with similar specs and the all seem to behave the same way.
Old 03-01-09, 11:20 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of car are you coming from previously? Mine by far does not drifts and not sure on you definition on float. It could me float smoothly over bumps or float like a boat? I was going to suggest you try to drive another UL but its seems you have already. Have you try driving a standard non-ul for comparison?
Old 03-01-09, 12:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your coming from a very sporty high end vehicle or a sporty car with some upgraded suspension then i would agree with you that your ul probably feels like a cold damp moist fart to you. but for a big lux sedan its not too bad, but don't compare it to an amg big body benz though, cuz that just wouldn't be fair.
Old 03-01-09, 12:34 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My air suspension is firm

My air suspension is firm, it doesn't float, and my car doesn't drift.

I also don't like air suspension due to reliability problems. I still can't figure out why any car company uses it. Car manufacturers can design outstanding suspension systems without using air suspension. Air suspension is pure hype.
It has a long history of failure (Mercedes Benz hydropneumatic suspension so not quite air), Range Rover, etc.
Old 03-01-09, 12:49 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rides on air... floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee... I guess it's the ability to adjust the height "on the fly" that gets most people. I think a good adjustable coil-over beats stock air any day, on any car, Lexus or MB.
Old 03-01-09, 01:16 PM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Default air suspension sucks it drifts, Floats, bump steers

I am coming of ls400 1998 with springs and it is much more stable than this ultra with air suspension.
Old 03-02-09, 09:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I know exactly what the issues are and why people have different opinion of the air suspension.

A 100% stock UL does floats and drifts due to crappy factory alignment setting and overly soft suspension setting, even in sport mode.

airtime and sojah don't have these issue is because their car has been lowered and realigned. When you lowered the air suspension, either with the data system controller or by adjusting the rods, the suspension firms up A LOT, so the car don't float anymore. Then most people get an alignment done after they lowered their car, that makes the car don't drift anymore.
Old 03-02-09, 09:56 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine rides smooth as a babys a**..........
Old 03-02-09, 10:57 AM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34
airtime and sojah don't have these issue is because their car has been lowered and realigned. When you lowered the air suspension, either with the data system controller or by adjusting the rods, the suspension firms up A LOT, so the car don't float anymore. Then most people get an alignment done after they lowered their car, that makes the car don't drift anymore.
Smart man. There's a lot of truth to that. I'm currently riding on my winter stock but dropped. Handles just find. For the sake of testing, I raised it back to factory height via the datasystem controller and its an whole other animal. The driving dynamic just changed. I wouldn't say uncontrollable or anything dangerous, but much softer and not sporty.
Old 03-02-09, 01:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Smart man. There's a lot of truth to that. I'm currently riding on my winter stock but dropped. Handles just find. For the sake of testing, I raised it back to factory height via the datasystem controller and its an whole other animal. The driving dynamic just changed. I wouldn't say uncontrollable or anything dangerous, but much softer and not sporty.
Thanks for the confirmation
Old 03-03-09, 05:34 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

My 2006 UL with air suspension rides like a magic carpet. Just drove RT from ATL to Orlando and even in a snow storm on the way home Sunday the ride was great. Only glitch was the Laser Cruise kept going out and a msg to clean something came up.

Last time I drove a car that floats and drifts it had the wrong tires on it. Bought my car because I really love the air ride. Sorry others are disappointed with it. After reading some of the Air Suspension posts you would think it was awful. So may I add: To anyone considering a UL with air would suggest you drive both air and non-air. I did and found the air ride to be far superior so I bought one. Best car I have ever owned and I'm in my 60's. Oh yeah, with the money I saved buying a used UL I also bought 5yr/60,000 mi warranty for peace of mind.
Old 03-03-09, 05:35 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

By the way my UL is all stock not dropped.
Old 03-03-09, 07:16 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

My UL drifted to the right. Took it in for an alignment after deciding on a height on my DataController and new wheels and they did their best to correct the tendency to go to the right.
Old 03-04-09, 04:21 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine always curves to the left,, i mean wait what, were talking about cars right?? yeah mine is pretty straight then.
Old 03-04-09, 10:58 AM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
mine always curves to the left,, i mean wait what, were talking about cars right?? Yeah mine is pretty straight then.
lol ..........

Back on topic, you think Lexus knows what they are doing with a $80k car. So to the OP, check tires for wear and alignment as suggested above. Your car should be stable at any speed.

Last edited by airtime; 03-04-09 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: my air suspension ls430 2004 sucks