LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 UL Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 04:22 PM
RawGin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 LS430 UL Low Oil Pressure

hey guys, my dads LS has been parked up for about a week now, I went to go start it up and the battery was dead, so i got it boosted and then when i put the car in drive the low oil pressure message came up. I shut it off and checked the oil which was low, so i topped it up and then tried again, but the low oil pressure light still comes on. Im going to scan it right now and see what comes up, it is pretty old and has about 300,000 km on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 03-04-09, 08:23 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might have to do with the type of Oil you have in the unit. Multi grade is used to help oil circulate upon startup. This could be the reason. Plus you said it has sat for a week. What you did not say is how long the light stayed on. A min or so is not a big deal on a loose engine. Also the Filter could be dirty causing oil not to get to the engine..

Many of us are using Mobil 1 oil, 5-20W and change it ever 5k miles max.. With high mileage on you car, you might take the hint.
Old 03-05-09, 07:29 AM
speedemon
Rookie

Originally Posted by RawGin
when i put the car in drive the low oil pressure message came up. I shut it off and checked the oil which was low, so i topped it up and then tried again, but the low oil pressure light still comes on. Im going to scan it right now and see what comes up, it is pretty old and has about 300,000 km on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Scanning it probably won't give you any results. What weight/kind of oil are you using? When was the oil last changed? How many miles does your dad/you go on an oil change? If the oil is really dirty and hasn't been changed in a long time it won't flow easily and cause the light to come on until it thins out enough and starts moving, if this is the case you are typically doing damage while the light is on, if it stays on and you recently changed the oil with recommended Manufacturers weight in my area it's 5w30 then you could have a bad pressure sensor or just a really worn out engine. You could also depending on the service intervals have sludge build up that is not allowing the oil to flow but i think that would manifest itself by starving the upper part of the engine of oil resulting in valve train noise and such. Older worn out engines and warmer climates sometimes benefit from using a thicker oil, I wouldn't suggest going thinner.
Originally Posted by Budhah
Also the Filter could be dirty causing oil not to get to the engine..
Many of us are using Mobil 1 oil, 5-20W and change it ever 5k miles max.. With high mileage on you car, you might take the hint.
What hint might he want to take? Not sure I understand that statment.
If the oil filter is completely clogged the internal design of the system will bypass the oil filter so you will still have circulation. I personally wouldn't use 5w20 if the manual recommends 5w30, that means the oil is thinner when hot possibly reducing pressure and not providing full protection.
Old 03-05-09, 10:15 AM
big_blzr94
Rookie

could also be the bad battery gremlins? they will do some strange things
Old 03-06-09, 08:21 AM
lxus4xms
Driver

Originally Posted by RawGin
hey guys, my dads LS has been parked up for about a week now, I went to go start it up and the battery was dead, so i got it boosted and then when i put the car in drive the low oil pressure message came up. I shut it off and checked the oil which was low, so i topped it up and then tried again, but the low oil pressure light still comes on. Im going to scan it right now and see what comes up, it is pretty old and has about 300,000 km on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Look for leaks is it losing oil or burning oil? If it does not blow blue smoke and you can not find a leak, drive it