LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 06:11 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile WOW!!!! Great point, just read after my 1st post!!

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Hey, that's what we're all here for, to give our 2c worth... which some times I must admit, I've short changed about 1c...

I'm not saying what you were saying was wrong, I'm just giving other examples of how people just spend without giving much thought and not that it's wrong, it's just what the person sees as value or not. I said I would not spend $5K just on a paint job, but hey, OP might think the "new" color would make his life complete... I don't know.

All I know is, wish I had money like that to even consider blowing on something like a paint job...
Such a great point, that's all I can say is, Great Point AlexusAnja!!!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-09-09 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-09, 07:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't do it. You're better off diverting that cash into a newer car, with more options and/or newer condition in the color you want. Nothing beats a factory paint job (because it includes EVERYTHING).

Not to mention, cars that have been repainted are penalized during resale (especially Luxury cars). You have to include the effects of depreciation when factoring the cost of the paint job.
Old 03-08-09, 09:30 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I wouldn't do it. You're better off diverting that cash into a newer car, with more options and/or newer condition in the color you want. Nothing beats a factory paint job (because it includes EVERYTHING).

Not to mention, cars that have been repainted are penalized during resale (especially Luxury cars). You have to include the effects of depreciation when factoring the cost of the paint job.

Just wondering if i go back the same color there is no way i can get to car looking close to factory???
and i will lose value??
My car has no body damage what so every just high way chips not a lot,
i was told with silver its not worth paint a fender or fading the paint it will never match and if i was to paint it i should just paint the hole car one time...but there are people painting cars all day for that custom paint or extra pearl or sparkle, people on the street is buying it because how sharp the car looks with a nice paint job...
on the other hand i also know my car like the back of your hand everything runs good no problems no nothing and i trade it in for a 03 or 04 now the problem begins!!! don't want to deal with that!!!

ALSO i know most cars on club lexus have been painted before without a doubt with aftermarket kits and etc. sometimes you have to paint the hole car to match a kit, some cars u can get away with it....and i see u guys with the etc SPARKLE that's not factory

but thank you all for your 1 & 2c
Old 03-09-09, 06:13 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when selling your vehicle in a few years or whenever you go to sell it, if it had been repainted the only time you will hear about it in a negative way would be if you were trading it in to a dealership. To an individual interested in buying the car, a new paint job will probably not be a bad thing...
Old 03-09-09, 10:39 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagga82
My car has no body damage what so every just high way chips not a lot...
I would NOT spend money to paint a car like a '01 LS. In fact, I would not even want an aftermarket paint job on a car like. I would, in order of preference:
1. Get a professional touch-up of the chips. Or if they are too bad and I REALLY wanted to have a chip-free paint job,
2. Sell/trade for an LS in satisfactory condition (LS are pretty trouble free, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting one and "the trouble beginning". Also, consider how long it'll be before the new paint job or the "new" LS has those same chips. Did they happen while you owned the car?)
Old 03-09-09, 01:34 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Default bodys clean will take more pix on a nice day

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I would NOT spend money to paint a car like a '01 LS. In fact, I would not even want an aftermarket paint job on a car like. I would, in order of preference:
1. Get a professional touch-up of the chips. Or if they are too bad and I REALLY wanted to have a chip-free paint job,
2. Sell/trade for an LS in satisfactory condition (LS are pretty trouble free, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting one and "the trouble beginning". Also, consider how long it'll be before the new paint job or the "new" LS has those same chips. Did they happen while you owned the car?)
my chips aren't noticeable but i just like to put paint on my own cars!

second if your 2003 LS 430 needed a paint job your saying u wouldn't invest in painting it. plus I'm not going to trade my car and pay a extra 10grand to drive in another 430 that looks the same ...if that's the case i will just put my baby right to the side and invest in a LS 460(no payments) .all LS 430 look the same it has the same body mass...

Most of you club members do spend almost $6,000 to $7,000 on 2 0r 3peace wheels on your car plus coilovers that's about $1,700 a front grille that's worth almost $400.. which that's already grandsss plus lights and other extras in the car and outside of the car ...and i also forgot about the BODY KIT
but you will not invest in a paint job sounds good to me!!

also i regret selling my 95 ES 300 and i am not selling any other lexus i purchase till the day i die!!

but to each there own
Attached Thumbnails Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)-photo0031.jpg  
Old 03-09-09, 01:51 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Default this car looks painted to me

that's not factory silver
Attached Thumbnails Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)-3318573522_b8d841ea20_b.jpg  
Old 03-09-09, 04:39 PM
gs eddy
Rookie

Hey Swaga, I would do the same thing. I've got me an 02 and I like my ride. I've driven an ls460 and the new gs and I still like my ride more. even with 100grand + on the odo. I still like the lines of my shhh! so until a newer model catches my eye, I'll paint my ride and when the engine starts to go, then maybe I'll throw in a twin supercharger. Like this dude. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g2-9ref5cg. but to each his own. some peeps always want the newest one and some are happy with what they got. If i could have afforded it, I would have kept my 2nd gen gs. In my eyes, still the best looking gs to date.The blue book might say they arent worth much but personal value is whats important to me. I'm thinkin for paint imma go dark purple with gold flake and like Tony Montana airbrushed on the hood. right? uh huh! I know. you feelin it too.
Old 03-09-09, 05:15 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gs eddy
Hey Swaga, The blue book might say they arent worth much but personal value is whats important to me. I'm thinkin for paint imma go dark purple with gold flake and like Tony Montana airbrushed on the hood. right? uh huh! I know. you feelin it too.
Was at a car Auction this past weekend. They had a Late Model 7-bird. painted PINK with pearl luminescence specks. Speakers bigger than my butt, and nothing else in the back seat. Side doors had at least 4 speakers, and woofers.. or something. My ears hurt just looking, and it was not turned on. $4k worth of speakers, Custom Wheels special made just for the car. Another $2500 and $1k for the tires. on a car that sold for less than $5k..

And before some of you ask,, No the buyer no seller was wearing a mink coat, with chicks hanging onto them. LOL

So After seeing this car, and reading the tread. Paint away. If it makes you happy, fine. But my thoughts was that someone was asking about our mindset, and that is what you got.. Since your mindset is set to paint. The rest of our opinions are only fodder for _________- Money wise it would be foolish to paint. but your satisfaction in painting turns the tide. Hell's bells man Put flames on the ride... Saw that on a IS this weekend too...
Old 03-09-09, 07:08 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Budhah
Was at a car Auction this past weekend. They had a Late Model 7-bird. painted PINK with pearl luminescence specks. Speakers bigger than my butt, and nothing else in the back seat. Side doors had at least 4 speakers, and woofers.. or something. My ears hurt just looking, and it was not turned on. $4k worth of speakers, Custom Wheels special made just for the car. Another $2500 and $1k for the tires. on a car that sold for less than $5k..

And before some of you ask,, No the buyer no seller was wearing a mink coat, with chicks hanging onto them. LOL

So After seeing this car, and reading the tread. Paint away. If it makes you happy, fine. But my thoughts was that someone was asking about our mindset, and that is what you got.. Since your mindset is set to paint. The rest of our opinions are only fodder for _________- Money wise it would be foolish to paint. but your satisfaction in painting turns the tide. Hell's bells man Put flames on the ride... Saw that on a IS this weekend too...
don't get me wrong i respect everything that was said just wondering why won't anyone paint a car but they can spend 5thousand on wheel really don't need a paint job just asking what everyone thinks.. and i also asked my body man a price if in the future i will paint ...!!!
but like everyone says its not worth it sell it buy another one and deal with someone else paint...
Old 03-09-09, 07:47 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Value in hour eyes...

Originally Posted by Swagga82
don't get me wrong i respect everything that was said just wondering why won't anyone paint a car but they can spend 5thousand on wheel really don't need a paint job just asking what everyone thinks.. and i also asked my body man a price if in the future i will paint ...!!!
but like everyone says its not worth it sell it buy another one and deal with someone else paint...
Here's another 2 cents for you... as I said before, value is in the wallet of the one that sees it. You need to do what you think will make you happy. You don't see why someone would put $5000 of accessories in a vehicle that will have no more than $1000 of value when reselling. Those people don't see value in your repainting when you can just get a vehicle in your color. That's the virtue of forums, having different people with different views.

I'm probably going to totally blow my reputation online here with what I'm about to say.. but look at it this way... I am a "collector" of Star Wars 1/6 scale (12") figures... sort of like G.I.Joes, except they run anywhere from $40-200 and are Star Wars (Darth Vader, StormTroopers). Who else here would buy Star Wars figures for $80?

OH FOR THE HUMANITY !!!! I think I gave more than 2c here...
Old 03-09-09, 07:50 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Here's another 2 cents for you... as I said before, value is in the wallet of the one that sees it. You need to do what you think will make you happy. You don't see why someone would put $5000 of accessories in a vehicle that will have no more than $1000 of value when reselling. Those people don't see value in your repainting when you can just get a vehicle in your color. That's the virtue of forums, having different people with different views.

I'm probably going to totally blow my reputation online here with what I'm about to say.. but look at it this way... I am a "collector" of Star Wars 1/6 scale (12") figures... sort of like G.I.Joes, except they run anywhere from $40-200 and are Star Wars (Darth Vader, StormTroopers). Who else here would buy Star Wars figures for $80?

OH FOR THE HUMANITY !!!! I think I gave more than 2c here...
ight my fault
Old 03-09-09, 11:21 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it.

I've been down this path before. There are many pitfalls. I had a 94 LS400 that I loved, and I decided to repaint it smoky granite mica, because I loved the color. My car needed a lot of bodywork done because a chimney fell on it, so I only paid for about half of the 5K paint job.

The car used to be silver. It looked beautiful in its new color at first:

About a year after I got it painted, the car got totaled, and the paint job only increased the value of the car by about $300.

Aside from that, other pitfalls:

1) Aftermarket paint chips a lot quicker than factory paint, unless you're spending far more than 5K

2) Rock chips suddenly become extremely painful

3) You will be paranoid about your doors being dinged, other people scratching it, you won't be able to just enjoy it.

4) You'll constantly doubt whether you should have done it or not. Sometimes you'll love the new color and you wont think twice, other times you'll miss the old color.

5) The car will spend 3 months in the bodyshop. However long they say it will take, forget it. It will take 3 months to come back to you, I guarantee it (I had my door jams and engine bay and everything painted)...

6) Soon you will want a new car, and you will regret having spent $5K on the old one.
Old 03-10-09, 04:35 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i definitely agree about the paint scratches and little rock chips and door dings.. i also agree about the paranoia of everyone leaning on it and possibly scratching it, but if its a slightly rare color there is no mistaking it...

5k isn't much to someone who doesn't need it so bad..
Old 03-10-09, 02:30 PM
adob0
Driver

imo, i would just clean up the paint (wash, clay bar, paint cleaner, paint polish, carnauba wax) the best i could and use the money to buy suspension/rims. but that's just me...

but if you're talking about a complete color change...then maybe you bought the wrong car in the first place.

it's cool man, i buy useless stuff all the time haha. i have tons of shoes and clothes that i don't even wear or haven't worn in like 5 years

Quick Reply: Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)