LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 03:33 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well swagga, you could always take the exhaust off, if you kept the original one at least, but i don't think you could reverse a paint job very easily though.
Old 03-11-09, 04:15 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Opinions are cool, great and all that! At the end of the day though,there just that,opinions! I feel(opinion) when you own a car you should do what you please ultimately! There are billions of humans in the known universe and I have yet to meet 2 who are exactly the same. You find those that agree from time to time on certain issues but, for the most part we vary in our views on day to day life etc.. That said, let's not take this to serious when we give our opinions gentlemen!

Lots more going on in the universe more important than arguing about mods to our cars. Have fun and enjoy talking via computer to humans who at least like one thing that you do! Lets get some perspective on this humans. It's a car!!!! Im sure the gentlemen who started this post will make a choice he feels best suits him. Lets give our opinions but, not force them. Lets respect each other because really we are all strangers with one thing in common we like Lexus made cars and thats it.

We know not one thing about each other and confuse car talk with who a person is! Name calling is classless and egregious and we need to be gentlemen to people we dont know and show respect. Lets not argue over cars!!!L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-11-09 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-09, 07:08 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagga82
my point proven ...why wont u pay for a pain which probably does take away from the cars value...but you would pay for a exhaust that also takes away from the value!!!!
I built my exhaust myself. I do all my own work. I built it so that it bolts directly in place of the factory cat-back, so I removed it a few days ago and re-installed the factory system because I will either put the exhaust on my next LS if I get one, or I'll sell it for a profit. I hope you don't disapprove.
Old 03-12-09, 07:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Exhaust built from 304 ss tubing and hangers, magnaflow ss muffers.
Attached Thumbnails Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)-ls-exhaust-w-factory1-small-file.jpg  
Old 03-12-09, 07:32 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

On the car
Attached Thumbnails Question is it worth it??? (to repaint the car)-ls-exhaust-rear-shot-small-file1.jpg  
Old 03-12-09, 07:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
i am not in the slightest saying that it is an investment, and you should never expect to see a dime of any money put into moding a car every return either... this i know all to well.
That is generally true, except that I wouldn't say you shouldn't expect to see ANY of your money back. The right mods done the right way will make a car worth more, but not nearly as much more as those mods cost. For example, a set of proper size MB AMG wheels added to a non-AMG model can help the car bring a few dollars more than the same car with the standard wheels. A first-hand example is my Supra. It would bring more as it sits with the well done single, supporting mods, etc., and well-sorted-out overall setup than it would stock (this based upon actual offers from people with the cash to buy, not just speculation). Of course that difference only covers about 25% of what the parts cost to build it, but it's more than a dime. But what you say is true -- modding a car is almost always a BAD investment -- though MUCH better than the stock market lately!
Old 03-12-09, 08:26 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

that exhaust looks pretty nice you built there. how does it sound compared to the stock, for me on this ls i will not be changing the exhaust note for the first time in my life.

i guess if someone had the choice of buying 2 identical cars and one had better wheels/tires that they would prolly pick the better ones on the identical car... i always get the guy who is trying to get me to lower the price because i didn't manage to keep the original exhaust (even though they prolly like the aftermarket one better).. the guy who says the car is worth less because i ripped out the stock head unit and replaced it with a nice alpine mp3 player and replaced all the factory speakers with much better mid to low high end component speakers. you know, that guy!!!
Old 03-12-09, 09:01 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
that exhaust looks pretty nice you built there. how does it sound compared to the stock, for me on this ls i will not be changing the exhaust note for the first time in my life.
I am VERY picky on exhaust notes and overall sound. I like the way the Supra sounds, I don't care for the way most aftermarket exhaust domestic V8's sound, I like most of the European "sport model" V8's.... I knew it was a crap shoot sound wise when I built the LS exhaust and was concerned about how it'd turn out. However, it sounds pretty decent IMO. You can hear it a little if you step on the throttle but it's very faint at cruise. I wouldn't call it intrusive at all. For example, it's quieter than an AMG 55 exhaust, and probably about like a BMW M car, volume wise (they are pretty quiet to my ears). It would be too quiet for a lot of people, but I think it's about right for a car like the LS if you want just a little more than stock but don't want it to be annoying and distract from the luxury aspect of the car. If I could improve it, I'd give it a more refined sound, but that's asking a lot from a cat-back on the cat-forward LS system, I think. Long-winded answer, but bottom line is I think it sounds okay.

i guess if someone had the choice of buying 2 identical cars and one had better wheels/tires that they would prolly pick the better ones on the identical car... i always get the guy who is trying to get me to lower the price because i didn't manage to keep the original exhaust (even though they prolly like the aftermarket one better).. the guy who says the car is worth less because i ripped out the stock head unit and replaced it with a nice alpine mp3 player and replaced all the factory speakers with much better mid to low high end component speakers. you know, that guy!!!
I know what you mean. I tend to ONLY be interested in 100% stock cars when I purchase them unless the mods are minimal and I have confidence that they are perfectly installed, but I almost never sell one that's completely stock when I'm ready to let it go (I've owned about 40 vehicles and modded about 35 of 'em). Generally, if I can get someone to come see the car I have for sale, they buy it. I'd say that 90% of the time the first person to come see a car that I have for sale buys it or puts down a deposit on the spot. And I usually price them close to the top of the price range that people are asking for similar stock vehicles. So, I guess they like what I've done or like the condition I've kept the vehicle in.
Old 03-12-09, 07:32 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swagga82
that's not factory silver
thas 912inc's ls. its sprayed in audi silver.