LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Extended Warranty, Go or No Go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09 | 09:04 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Question Extended Warranty, Go or No Go?

Considering and extended warranty on my 2002 Ultra. CPO end at the end of March. I currently have 53,000 miles on it.

The extended goes to April 2012 or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The cost is $2,400. Question is whether I should buy it or not.

Figured some of you on this site will have a better feel or knowledge whether this is $ well spent, or should I skip it & save the $?

Your thoughts please.
Old 03-08-09 | 09:34 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

I just bought an 05 CPO and extended the warrenty out two years for an additional $2K, so the price you received sounds relatively good to me.

I think I read on another thread that you were ditching the air suspension? I've seen numerous posts about folks having that serviced under warrenty, and the frightful cost for those who are out of warrenty. I've also seen ads for a couple of ULs in the south where the laminated glass had delaminated at the edges ($800 per window to replace) - you're in Alabama (which sounds sunny), your vehicle is one of the first in the series, that might be something to take into consideration as well. Another issue I recall from the SC430 forum - but have yet to see mentioned on this forum - is the gradual breakdown of the plastic gears in the outside mirrors. If you leave them on auto-tilt, they can get jittery...and then fail altogether.

I'm not clear in my head which of these would be covered by the CPO warrenty.

And another thing I do NOT like about the CPO warrenty is that it's non-transferrable (there is some pro-rating for early cancellation).
Old 03-08-09 | 02:28 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Shop around before you buy a warranty. We have had our LS430 02 for over a year and have not used the $2500. aftermarket warranty. It covers everything except nav and radio, 60K miles beyond the 63K on the car and/or 48 months. Nice thing about aftermarket warranties, is you can take the car to any shop, not just a Lexus dealer.

This warranty thing is a gamble. We have it on our LS430 because it is driven everyday, the SC430 only gets used about 5K miles per year and we did not buy a warranty for it. So we have spread our risk out. The only reason we bought the warranty on the LS430, is because the last two Jaguars and Cadillacs had breakdown isssues, some covered by warranties, others not. We had no Lexus experience.

You need to get a copy of the warranty contract before you buy one. e.g. On one of our previous cars, it said windshield washer pump and no mention of the reservoir. They were not sold separately, and required several call backs to get them to pay. You know timing belts, waterpumps, brakes, tires and fluids are usually excluded. No flushes or fluid replacements either. This stuff can add up. If the radiator fails, they might pay for the coolant used to install the replacement.

Old 03-08-09 | 03:20 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Important to consider

I appreciate both responses so far. I was asking about ditching the air susp. if necessary, as my service writer said "can't be done."

I am not ditching ti, because Lexus USA finally sent in a tech rep (20 years Lexus experience, much training in Japan) who let me know that there is nothing wrong with my system. He explained why it did what it did, and it made sense when he asked if it did it anywhere but my garage...amswer was "no."

I know that the extended is purely insurance. The CPO thus far has been nice even though it is not bumper to bumper. My concern is the gamble. I am leaning toward paying for the extended (it is pro rata refundable or transferable) and losing, since nothing to little breaks.

I could also put the 2,400 in a cd, and see what happens. I know that Lexus has incredible rep for quality, and I know many who have had theirs for a long time with no troubles. However, mine is an ultra, and today, even if a minor thing breaks that involves electronics, it can cost serious $$.

I am comparing two. Both are good companies, good reputations, and my dealer works with them. They don't cover the Nav, but they do cover the radio. Since the radio, ac, etc. are within the Nav system, if it is a screen electronic situation, they will fix. If it is Nav only, they won't.

I am leaning toward buying. I am still reading contracts and outlining questions. The reps I speak with are probably sick of my questions, but I am buying an insurance policy, and with any insurance you have to read the fine print.
Old 03-08-09 | 09:19 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

You should be able to get the Lexus Platinum Extended 7yr/100K for under $2100 if you shop around. I bought my warranty as I knew things would be expensive to replace, so $700 per year seemed like cheap insurance. This is after all really a $65K car.

I'm ~7 months into the extended warranty period and have around $2500 already completed in repairs. You do the math on that

For a CL or UL model, $700 per year for basically unlimited coverage on components seems like a deal to me. Just one UL strut, power door lock, power mirror or ML amp would cost that much. Imagine what the Nav screen, Laser\Radar Cruise or engine computer(s) would cost to replace. Then look at the big stuff like engine or trans.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have a 2002 and this would be a CPO extension type arrangement. If the $2400 is the list price for the warranty at the dealer, you should be able to get this for less by getting quotes from some of our known sources for discount Lexus\Toyota warranties..
Old 03-09-09 | 03:05 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Wanderer - Great Points

Since mine is an 02,I assume that Platinum is not an option, as my car is seven years old.Please tell me who are good sources for extended that aren't necessarily dealer or factory.

Mark
Old 03-09-09 | 05:06 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Problems can happen. I just think of my buddys toyota with 300 K on it and all he has done is brakes and belts. I guess the dealer makes out with folks that forget they have a warrantee, and/or trade sell it and void it.

I think of it like the casina though, the dealer is always on top in the end. For alot of folks peace of mind is worth it knowing there will be no surprises for 100 k. I looked into ti, I have a simple premium package and decided no.
Old 03-09-09 | 08:32 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Aftermarket Warranty

My warranty is with Western General and you should be able to find them on the web. The coverage choice is level II. I have no first hand experience with them as I have had no claims. It is $100. deductible and includes a $30. per day rental car allowance.

Old 03-09-09 | 12:20 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I've updated the FAQ Warranty discussion with three known sources for current Lexus Extended Warranty discounts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post4324328

I did compare the extended warranty from a non-dealer source to the Lexus (Toyota) offering. I chose the Lexus one as it had more coverage (speakers, electrics, nav, etc), had a zero deductible and I didn't have to phone or contact anyone to get a warranty claim authorized. I'm in the Lexus\Toyota system and the dealer just does it all for me. I don't need a rental car allowance as my dealer always gives me a new loaner for however long they need to repair my car.