LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Not as good as my honda accord (MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 04:23 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Not as good as my honda accord (MPG)

on gas mileage But pretty darn close to its MPG

. I love this car, having had it for 3 -4 months now i am beginning to drive it civilly. I got 27.4 MPG driving up to northern wisonsin on 4 and 2 lane roads, through small towns and through a major blizzard. Originally I had all my ski crap in the honda but could not handle the ride so i turned back and drove the LS. Just gonna bit the bullet and rack up 25 k a year between work and play and grab a LS460 whne she hit 150- 200 k, 66 k on it now. Thanks for listening. 91 plus octane amd Mobil 1
Old 03-08-09, 05:30 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man, misleading title there... you continued on the post. I was about to read how you were going to praise your Accord over the LS430 and was thinking "oh man, can't wait to read what this guy has to say..."

I had a V6 Accord, not the 4 banger and although it was 'good' it's not even in the same league as the LS for finesse, refinement, power, fit-n-finish, or quality of material. Actually, for me, on highway with cruise on, my Accord was only able to manage 24 mpg, while the LS I have done 26, so sorry... I got different results. Also, both were 93 octane and Mobil 1 too.
Old 03-08-09, 05:35 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i was thinking the same thing, "can't wait to see what this guy has to say". but i am glad i didnt havve to say something mean that i would probably feel a little bad about later. glad u love it, i love mine too. just waxed it, and detailed the inside this afternoon which took about 3 hours.
Old 03-08-09, 05:54 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I enjoy the car very much my honda will be given to my son (98 with 150 k on it). Anyone who gets in this car praises it, and even buys one. My roundabout post was to praise the car for the uncommonly good mileage for a big V8 when driven carefully.
Old 03-08-09, 06:09 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

when driven carefully is the key. i was averaging about 25 mpg's in my normal driving, but i just got the car lowered last week and have been enjoying the improved handling a little to much so now i'm only averaging about 21..
Old 03-08-09, 06:19 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Lowered expectations...

Originally Posted by sojah
when driven carefully is the key. i was averaging about 25 mpg's in my normal driving, but i just got the car lowered last week and have been enjoying the improved handling a little to much so now i'm only averaging about 21..
Ha ha... lowered the car, lowered the fuel efficiency. Gotta ease off that throttle Mr. Indy 500... just because it's drive by wire, don't mean you need to abuse the pedal.

Have you posted any pics after the lowering?

I had a 98 Accord V6 too and it was okay, but just too many little problems. I don't really attribute the problems to anything major mechanically, more cosmetic that the previous owner just neglected, plus a few little gremlins. Enough to give me a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 03-08-09, 06:41 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Ha ha... lowered the car, lowered the fuel efficiency. Gotta ease off that throttle Mr. Indy 500... just because it's drive by wire, don't mean you need to abuse the pedal.

Have you posted any pics after the lowering?

I had a 98 Accord V6 too and it was okay, but just too many little problems. I don't really attribute the problems to anything major mechanically, more cosmetic that the previous owner just neglected, plus a few little gremlins. Enough to give me a bad taste in my mouth.
I drove a new V6 Accord the day I met my Ls430. Did not drive it 100 yards before told the salesman that it did not ride as well as my son's 2000 Avalon. We went next door to the Toyota lot, and saw a "few" late model lexus cars. Wifey wanted to drive one, and was impressed. Then she saw the LS, and we took it for a spin, and with-in that same 100 yards fell in love with it. Any one that thinks that the Accord is in the same class has different exptations in a car than me...Not saying they are wrong,

And what the heck is that "pig snout" in the middle of the dash?? even on their Accura line??

As a side note, The salesman said the Honda Truck "Ridgeline" was the best riding car that they had??

Had to give him an "A" for honesty.....
Old 03-08-09, 07:30 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The LS enjoys an industry leading .26 coefficient of drag (the lower the number, the more aerodynamic) that beats even the most of serious sports cars.

To better illustrate this point, my GS and LS both have the same engine, The GS is smaller, weighs less, and is lower to the ground. Yet the LS gets better mileage on the highway. I know the LS has the 6-speed, but i think results would be similar with a 01-03LS.
Old 03-09-09, 01:29 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i wonder if by lowering the/ an 05 ls430 if you could get a better coefficient drag?? I wonder if by lowering it if it would or could make it worse at all. and the pics of my recently lowered ls are in the thread titled 'got drop'...

thats funny about the ls to gs comparison though.
Old 03-09-09, 02:30 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how you guys are getting such good gas mileage. My avg is around 17-19 mpg. I've done pure hiways and got 25 mpg max. Maybe I'm not a smooth driver as you guys
Old 03-09-09, 02:37 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

ya i normally dont come into the 430 forum but when i read his topic i wanted to read the replies....glad it turned out to be a false alarm
Old 03-09-09, 03:03 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol 1sicklex would come in this thread hoping to BAN somebody
Old 03-09-09, 04:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Running on 17 and Premium fuel

Originally Posted by airtime
I don't know how you guys are getting such good gas mileage. My avg is around 17-19 mpg. I've done pure hiways and got 25 mpg max. Maybe I'm not a smooth driver as you guys
What are you running on? 17", 18" or even higher? My "all-time" best was on 17" running from NJ to FL and cruise for much of the way doing 70 mph. I had spurts where I gunned it and did 85 (not many miles, 15-20 miles total maybe in the Carolinas, where limiit was 70 anyway), but my overall trip average on dash was 26.8 mpg and I calculated with good old miles to gallons and was getting about 25.8. so I figure I was doing a good 26 average.

Hey, saving gas is all about how you drive and how happy your right foot is to meet the pedal. I can't say for 18" or bigger how much difference, but with the rotational weight of the larger tires being higher, then you'll probably lose a good 1 mpg for each inch I think of wheel. Not scientific by any means, just my guess from reading online...
Old 03-09-09, 04:15 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
got 29 this past weekend. on a two hundred mile trip.. even with driving in down town St. Louis. I use the cruise control at drive about 60-65, but am not one to stay behind someone driving slower on even a two lane road. I do pass cars and love the G force this car gives me when I floor it.. Around town getting 23 ish..

I did get one tank of gas where it gave me about 4 miles less, and she did not seem as peppy..So you might check your gas supply..

Edit... Just saw the post before mine. I have 18" tires.. Would think that a bigger tire would mean a few inches farther in each rotation of the wheels?? Am I wrong, or is the outside of the tire the same as the 17" except for the rim hole?? I think they call this the sport package or something??

Last edited by Budhah; 03-09-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 02:14 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Budhah
got 29 this past weekend. on a two hundred mile trip.. even with driving in down town St. Louis. I use the cruise control at drive about 60-65, but am not one to stay behind someone driving slower on even a two lane road. I do pass cars and love the G force this car gives me when I floor it.. Around town getting 23 ish..

I did get one tank of gas where it gave me about 4 miles less, and she did not seem as peppy..So you might check your gas supply..

Edit... Just saw the post before mine. I have 18" tires.. Would think that a bigger tire would mean a few inches farther in each rotation of the wheels?? Am I wrong, or is the outside of the tire the same as the 17" except for the rim hole?? I think they call this the sport package or something??
The 17" and 18" tires are similar in circumference specs if you buy the correct size for your car. There is a tire calculator you can use to make sure the size is not too much slower or faster than stock size. http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...mp;vehicle=yes The heavier rim weight will also cause you to lose MPG's. I was averaging about 20-21 MPG on my stock 16's. Now with my 19" Wald rims and wider tires, I am down to 17-18 MPG with 50city/50hwy driving. I don't drive fast and even neutral roll when going down hill to increase my MPG's. My tires are inflated 45psi in front and 43 in the rears to increase MPG also. The stop and go city driving is what kills the MPG's for this car. Highway MPG's are great.

DanozLS430....

Quick Reply: Not as good as my honda accord (MPG)