LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How pimp is it?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 10:45 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my UL LS. But as others have voiced on here, it isn't a sports sedan so I can see how folks would want something in addition for a more road feeling ride. That said, the LS is my #1 in overall ride, comfort, and personal enjoyment while driving.
Old 03-11-09, 04:57 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from a gs400 to an 05 ls430 ul and although i loved it, at times i felt like maybe i had jumped the gun to quick to just swap one for the other outright (in terms of a DD). i just got the controller put on for a drop and now the driving excitement is back again, now i love the ls even more...!!! so so happy.

if you are only getting 13 mpg, are you sitting in traffic all day long. cuz my city driving is just stop wait 30 seconds and go 5 mins. if you are stop wait 5 mins and go 30 seconds wait 5 minutes then i guess 13 mpg would be feasible.
Old 03-11-09, 06:30 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Define Local

Originally Posted by sojah
if you are only getting 13 mpg, are you sitting in traffic all day long. cuz my city driving is just stop wait 30 seconds and go 5 mins. if you are stop wait 5 mins and go 30 seconds wait 5 minutes then i guess 13 mpg would be feasible.
Very true. This is why it's so hard to take someone else's "local" and "highway" and try to apply to your own numbers, without getting the specifics. So, to be clear (like anyone cares) about my "local" driving, it's 21 miles one way and within that 21 miles I may stop at 4 traffic lights. Within those stops at lights it's pretty consistent 40 mph. My highway driving is usually 70 mph tops, and more 65 mph on cruise. Only on my Orlando trip did I go 85 at some points.

I'm pretty sure if it were NYC or LAX heavy traffic, stop n go, you'd be LUCKY to get 13 mpg "local."
Old 03-11-09, 06:36 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yup yup... what about the average mph thing as well??

i mean if you were to reset both the average mpg and average mph at the same time then drove your daily route then posted up the results, would this be a more scientific approach to comparing our figures together to see if someones is way off the mark??

if dude who is only getting 13 mpg could do this i could do this as well before i drive a similar distance on city only like say on a weekend and then we could compare a little better..?
Old 03-11-09, 07:15 AM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me too...

Welcome to the club JBLover. I can totally sympathize with your affection for the LS. I would say that of all the cars I've owned (both luxury and sport cars) I enjoy driving the LS the best. I don't seem to have any issues with fuel mileage like some of you guys but maybe it's because most of my driving is highway driving. Glad to have you on board, keep us updated on your changes and mods as they come.
Old 03-11-09, 08:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yep, so if I don't sell my LS430 in couple months, I will just get another sport car, an used M3 or new 335ci. So I have best of both worlds.
In my opinion, not that I am judging your choice, both the M3 and 335i are not exciting enough. They are what I said, try to do both comfort and sporty, and ends up being half *** on both ends. I carpool with my co-worker that drives a 08' E90 M3, I ride in that car every other day, so I know very well how that car feels. Excitment can only be found in cars that are a lot more raw, purely made for performance and sensation, and not trying to make it comfortable at all. The E30 M3 is exciting, and maybe the E36 M3.....beginning with the E46 M3, they add in too much luxury and comfort, the excitment is gone.

My SC doesn't do a good job on the exciting department.
It would be exciting if it got some rock hard racing suspension and a screaming 700 hp 2JZ-GTE

Last edited by BNR34; 03-11-09 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-11-09, 08:41 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swagga82
city- 18mpg hwy-22mpg after drop driving a little slower i get better...you people sure know how to hit that petal!!!!
Yeah, MPG is mostly depends on how you drive it, not what the car is.

Top Gear did a test where they had a Toyota Prius going around in a track at full throttle, follow by a V8 M3 at half throttle. The M3 is so much faster that it only need half throttle to keep up with a Prius at full throttle.

Prius: 17 MPG
M3: 19 MPG

All those Prius drivers you see screaming down the freeway at 90 mph and think they are saving so much gas money by driving a Prius, their MPG is only as good as the M3 they just passed going 65 mph

I rather drive a fast car slow, then a slow car fast. The fast car look so much better!
Old 03-11-09, 08:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i just recently started watching that top gear show and it is my new favorite car show on tv presently. as for the driving a fast car slow or a slow car fast bit, i personally think it is so annoying to see 90% of corvets driving 10 under the speed limit in the right hand lane (hopefully). i prefer to drive a fast car fast.
Old 03-11-09, 10:31 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by BNR34
In my opinion, not that I am judging your choice, both the M3 and 335i are not exciting enough. They are what I said, try to do both comfort and sporty, and ends up being half *** on both ends. I carpool with my co-worker that drives a 08' E90 M3, I ride in that car every other day, so I know very well how that car feels. Excitment can only be found in cars that are a lot more raw, purely made for performance and sensation, and not trying to make it comfortable at all. The E30 M3 is exciting, and maybe the E36 M3.....beginning with the E46 M3, they add in too much luxury and comfort, the excitment is gone.

It would be exciting if it got some rock hard racing suspension and a screaming 700 hp 2JZ-GTE
I had 328i 5spd, 530 5spd, and also drove my friend's M5 for a while.
I miss the BMW suspension and steering wheel feel. I used to street race a lot (TT 300ZX, TT Sc300, hondas, nissans ), but now I'm old, I just want something that have good road feedback and enjoy of driving, for the money, nothing beats BMW.

Do I sound like a traitor?
Old 03-11-09, 10:39 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LS430 is not for excitement, it's for just cruising and not having to hear or feel everything around you. I look at it as sitting on my living room couch to get to work...

This is why I still have my 17-year old Integra GSR, for those days I want a little excitement and drive something I can beat around and throw on the road.
Old 03-11-09, 11:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I had 328i 5spd, 530 5spd, and also drove my friend's M5 for a while.
I miss the BMW suspension and steering wheel feel.
Agreed 100%. BMW absolutely has the best suspension and steering wheel feel I think Porsche comes close, but not matching it.

I used to street race a lot (TT 300ZX, TT Sc300, hondas, nissans ), but now I'm old, I just want something that have good road feedback and enjoy of driving, for the money, nothing beats BMW.
I guess our idea of something exciting is different. We were comparing apple to orange.

Do I sound like a traitor?
Not at all. Every car is good for something, no car is perfect. So drive the one that best suit your needs
Old 03-11-09, 11:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
LS430 is not for excitement, it's for just cruising and not having to hear or feel everything around you. I look at it as sitting on my living room couch to get to work...
That is exactly what I want from my LS430, and that is exactly what it is design and build for. For everyone that criticize it for being boring, they bought the wrong car.

A lot of people criticize the SC430 for being too slow, well guess what, it is not designed for speed, it is not a sports car. If you don't like it, you are not getting the design intent.
Old 03-11-09, 12:05 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Exactly.
I still love LS430 for what it is.
Just need something a little different later.
Old 03-11-09, 12:06 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

no sorry, i dont feel cool at all...maybe even a lil more nerdy hahah
Old 03-11-09, 12:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Dude, you don't drive your car daily, right?

Quick Reply: How pimp is it?!