LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Uncomfortable seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 03:03 PM
phillies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hulla
Mine is like that too. Feels hard at the right buttock/thigh. Only the driver's seat. Mine got better from lowering the seat.
Same here. Only the right side, and the few times I sat in the passenger seat I had no problems.... hmm....
Old 03-23-09, 08:22 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys need to go back to cloth seats....
Old 03-26-09, 12:58 AM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've sold my '03 and been looking around for my next LS. I went test-driving a few '04+ cars last Saturday and noticed for the first time that there is a LOT of difference in firmness of the soft leather seat vs. the harder leather. I'm not sure if the soft is the semi-analine (sp?) or what, but the harder seat is more like an Audi or MB or BMW, while the soft one is MUCH softer. And keep in mind that I'm talking not only about the leather, but the cushion under the leather. You can tell the difference by just looking at the seat. The soft one has the excess leather that looks loose and wavy on the seat bottom and back, while the other is drawn tight. And you can clearly feel the difference in softness between the two. I'm not sure what option you order to get the soft leather, but there was a very noticable difference between the two different leather/seat setups among the 6 cars that I looked at.
From what I can tell looking at the model reference:
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2005.html

There are three types of seats:
- Standard
- Climate-comfort seats with heat/cool ****
- Climate-comfort seats with heat/cool **** and Perforated Leather

Which of these has the soft seats with wavy leather?
Old 03-26-09, 04:48 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 CL in saddle and it has the wavy leather. It was a $1460 add-on available only on CL and UL packages. Semi-aniline was a $2100 add-on available on CL and UL. There was also an Ecru upgrade for $1460. I'm guessing that these are the wavy leather.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/model_s...ricing_ls.html
has specs & pricing on 90-05.
These prices match my sticker from the original owner. It was CL plus saddle and smart access.
I paid top dollar 2 weeks ago but it only had 8.200 miles on it.
Old 03-26-09, 04:51 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rpsmith

- Standard

My seats look like the above.
Old 03-26-09, 06:08 PM
VIPnsanity
Rookie

Its only the right side on the drivers seat probably because you put extra weight on that spot. When your driving, your right foot is on the pedal and the left foot is rested so more weight is shifted to the right side of your butt. Doesn't affect the passenger side because the passenger has both feet rested down so it's more even.
Old 03-26-09, 07:18 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lean, not footing

Originally Posted by VIPnsanity
Its only the right side on the drivers seat probably because you put extra weight on that spot. When your driving, your right foot is on the pedal and the left foot is rested so more weight is shifted to the right side of your butt. Doesn't affect the passenger side because the passenger has both feet rested down so it's more even.
I don't think that you put that much more weight on your right side because of the pedals. Come on, we're talking ounces of pressure, and you're pivoting on your heel, so probably even less force back up along your legs to your BUTT. I think it's more how the driver tends to lean, either to left or right depending on their driving habits. I know for me I lean to my right because I usually have my left arm on rest and hand on ****. Then my left hand is on steering wheel.

Perhaps the driver just has a deformed glutamous maximus and his/her right check is twice the size of the left cheek....
Old 03-26-09, 08:16 PM
VIPnsanity
Rookie

Maybe it just me then. I don't put any pressure on my heel, so that my right butt gets all the pressure on the right side. Most of the time, my left leg is bent, which shifts pressure over to the right. I catch myself doing this a lot and try to rest my left leg to distribute the weight. I don't lean when I drive, just sit straight.

I haven't driven my MR2's in awhile but when I did, one leg on the gas and one on the clutch, my weight was distributed evenly. When I drive the accord or ls, or any auto, I tend to bend my left leg down and apply pressure to it by habit, shifting my weight to the right.

Maybe this is just me?
Old 03-27-09, 06:32 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rpsmith

- Standard

I don't see it on that list, but there is apparently a Napa leather which is the harder, relatively thicker-feeling, and a semi-analine leather that is the softer, thinner-feeling. Both of these are the perforated, heated/cooled seats on the '04+ (at least I've never seen a non-perforated '04+). The '01-'03 had non-perforated seats on most, but in '03 you could get the perforated/cooled on the non-UL, which is one main reason I bought an '03 instead of an earlier model. At least I never found an '01-'02 with perf/cool that wasn't a UL.

All that said, what I noticed most about the difference in the way the seat felt to the booty was that the Napa leather seemed to also be accompanied by a firmer cushion underneath. I don't know if the seat structure/cushioning is actually built differently (never seen any mention of it), but my wife and I both noticed it immediately and there is no doubt that those seats were firmer in those particular cars than the ones with the softer leather.

Re: the HARD SPOT in the seats... Now that the subject is up, I recall that I put my knee on the hard spot in my seat and smashed the hell out if it for about a minute up and down about a year ago and come to think of it, I've never noticed or thought about a hard spot again. Maybe that's the fix? LOL I used to notice it often, but now never do. <shrug>
Old 03-27-09, 09:00 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You are absolutely correct, however, this problem is more prevalent in the LS then in my GS, or even SC.

I personally find it very uncomfortable to drive over 45mins at once.
Old 03-27-09, 09:40 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I personally find it very uncomfortable to drive over 45mins at once.
I'm delivering my LS to its new owner next week and will be making an 11 hour drive, so I'll see if my "fix" fixed the hard spot. LOL
Old 03-27-09, 10:28 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

To be honest i have no issue with my seat, and have to say it is very comfrotable. I hope you guys get your problem worked out.
Old 03-27-09, 05:23 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Maybe it just me then. I don't put any pressure on my heel, so that my right butt gets all the pressure on the right side.
That sounds extremely uncomfortable to me. I always rest my right heel on the floor--both for gas and brakes. I make sure to move my seat forward enough that my heel rests comfortably on the floor, without stretching my leg or putting much pressure on my quads. I've never had this kind of problem in any car, but then again I've never driven an LS for a long distance so I don't know about that. I hope it doesn't become a problem for me too, if I get one.

Now, for a stick, my left foot of course has to move a lot to press the clutch--so my left heel doesn't get to rest when shifting.
Old 03-27-09, 07:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I've been driving small cars or what... but what are you guys driving that your heels are off and don't rest on the floor? Everything from our family Voyager, to Civic, Accord, LS430, RX300 have all been automatics, then my Integra is a stick, and on all vehicles I rest my heels, even on the left foot for clutch. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm driving wrong...

Integra clutch, smooth to engage and I don't have to lift my whole foot up to mash it. It's not harder to engage than the brakes actually.
Old 03-27-09, 07:32 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

My stick was an (ancient) Lotus Esprit. That one needed a big kick on the clutch. But yes, I agree with you for automatics, Alexus.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable seats