LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Uncomfortable seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 10:14 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've sold my '03 and been looking around for my next LS. I went test-driving a few '04+ cars last Saturday and noticed for the first time that there is a LOT of difference in firmness of the soft leather seat vs. the harder leather. I'm not sure if the soft is the semi-analine (sp?) or what, but the harder seat is more like an Audi or MB or BMW, while the soft one is MUCH softer. And keep in mind that I'm talking not only about the leather, but the cushion under the leather. You can tell the difference by just looking at the seat. The soft one has the excess leather that looks loose and wavy on the seat bottom and back, while the other is drawn tight. And you can clearly feel the difference in softness between the two. I'm not sure what option you order to get the soft leather, but there was a very noticable difference between the two different leather/seat setups among the 6 cars that I looked at.
EDITED:
Update on some of the above... I went back to my local Lexus dealer today and compared literally side-by-side two '05 models, one with some sort of upgraded leather (the looser, softer leather -- is this called Napa???) and the other with what I assume is the standard leather. There is a very noticable difference in the "hand" or feel. The softer leather is significantly softer. One strange thing is that the '05 soft leather is not as soft as the leather in my '03 and not nearly as much excess material, and it's not from use or stretching in my '03 because you can see that there's simply more gathering and almost pleating in mine. And the softness of the '05 soft leather is in between my '03 (which is VERY soft) and the standard '05 leather. Also, my '03 is more "cushy" than either of the '05 models. It's simply a softer seat (I'm talking about the cushions now) whereas both of the '05's feel a touch more "German" in the firmness of the cushions. ALSO, contrary to my first impression in my original post above, I believe there is no difference in the underlying cushions in the standard '05 and soft '05 seats. The harder/stiffer standard leather gives a very slight impression that the seat itself is firmer but after careful comparison I think it's only the leather surface. I was being confused earlier by my '03 and assuming that the '05 soft the same as my '03 soft.

My dilemma now is that I've found a car that is equipped like I want EXCEPT that it does not have the soft leather. I can't decide whether that's a deal breaker for me or not.... I wonder how the standard leather holds up as it ages? My '03 is still almost like new -- no sign of surface cracking -- just soft as can be, but the car has a pretty easy life staying in the garage most of the time....

Last edited by I6turbo; 03-30-09 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 09:23 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
I would get 1 inch thick Sheepskin seat covers for them. The sheepskin acts as a pad for the back and bottom and makes it cool in the summer to sit and warm in the winter to sit. As for the issue of the seat Im sure a Lexus dealer will check it out and see what the issue is! They will in my opinion look at it and with you under 50,000 miles the factory warranty is in effect still. Shouldnt be a issue for them to look at it for you!!! L.G.N.M
Are you sure about the warranty?? I have 40K for bumper to bumper.

At lease his seats aren't squeaking and driving him nuts like mine does. I'll take numb butt over constant squeaks. Oh, that's right, I have both!!
Old 03-30-09, 01:07 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
Are you sure about the warranty?? I have 40K for bumper to bumper.

At lease his seats aren't squeaking and driving him nuts like mine does. I'll take numb butt over constant squeaks. Oh, that's right, I have both!!
Yes, Lexus has teh 50K/4 year bumper to bumper.
Old 03-30-09, 06:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Regarding the hard spot that some of you guys report in the driver's seat, you should give it the same treatment that I gave mine: put your knee on it and smash the hell out of it bouncing up and down for a minute or so. I did that to mine over a year ago and the hard spot was gone. After reading this thread last week I paid careful attention when I drove the car over the weekend and there simply isn't a hard spot anymore. Back before the "treatment" I noticed it almost everytime I drove the car, and at times it was downright uncomfortable.
Old 03-30-09, 08:15 AM
VIPnsanity
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Maybe I've been driving small cars or what... but what are you guys driving that your heels are off and don't rest on the floor? Everything from our family Voyager, to Civic, Accord, LS430, RX300 have all been automatics, then my Integra is a stick, and on all vehicles I rest my heels, even on the left foot for clutch. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm driving wrong...

Integra clutch, smooth to engage and I don't have to lift my whole foot up to mash it. It's not harder to engage than the brakes actually.
My heels touch the floor on the gas, but I don't really put pressure on the heels. Maybe I'm the one that's driving wrong.

The intergra is a lot smoother and softer than the MR2 turbo's clutch, especially with an upgraded clutch on the MR2. Even the 300zx tt clutch is like butter, I was shocked when I first drove it.
Old 03-30-09, 08:50 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoonunya
I have an 05 CL in saddle and it has the wavy leather. It was a $1460 add-on available only on CL and UL packages. Semi-aniline was a $2100 add-on available on CL and UL. There was also an Ecru upgrade for $1460. I'm guessing that these are the wavy leather.
http://www.lexus.com/contact/model_s...ricing_ls.html
Here's what I don't understand... there are a lot of cars out there with the SOFT wavy leather that do not have CL or UL packages. Yet there doesn't appear to be any option on the list for a leather upgrade. I wonder if the Modern Luxury package gets the soft leather upgrade, but it isn't mentioned in the option details on the list?
Old 03-30-09, 02:33 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Yes, Lexus has teh 50K/4 year bumper to bumper.
But it's 2009, and the warranty for a 2004 is 4 years.
Old 04-22-09, 06:08 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my '05 LS430 just over a month ago. I still have my '96 LS400
After reading this thread I was starting to think that the driver's seat in my '96 was slightly more comfortable then my '05. I was getting a little of the right cheek issue.
I have the wavy leather of the upgrade leather in saddle.
I saw hulla's post about lowering seat height and I tried that. It made it much better. I then noticed that the previous driver had the seat extended about as far out as it would go. I had pulled it back some. I checked this against the '96 and found the '05 was extended WAY beyond the '96. I retracted the seat extension and it is much better.
phillies' post said he thought the passenger seat was more comfortable. It doesn't have a seat extension.
seat height plus extension may have been causing my right side to scream for circulation.
oh well, works for me.

I've put 2,300 miles on my '05 in 5 weeks as I took a trip. I normally put about 15k on a car in a year.
love that laser cruise control.

Last edited by hoonunya; 04-22-09 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 11:13 PM
kwahaus
Driver School Candidate

Same thing here. Just purchased an 06 with 30,000 miles and think the seats aren't very comfortable. I do think the seat extension has a big effect, tho. With it all the way out, there's not much padding left. But pull it back in as far as possible and it's not bad -- and feels a lot like the passenger side.
Old 05-01-09, 04:09 PM
stubbs836
Driver School Candidate

Default Uncomfortable seats

Dealer would not do any repairs. i asked for the Lexus Rep to review and he agreed to make the modification. I did not speak to the Lexus Rep, the dealer passed my information on to him.
The seat was repaired in one day and now I'm satisfied. No cost to me which was even better.
Old 07-13-09, 12:02 PM
kwahaus
Driver School Candidate

What "modification" was made? Did they replace the seat? Add more padding? Also did you get the name of the rep from the dealer? I ask these questions, because I have been very disappointed with the driver's seat — even to the point I may be getting rid of the car. I've had the dealer look at the seat and they said there was nothing wrong.

Any detailed information about your resolution would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-14-09, 08:40 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile

I've noticed also that the drivers seat seems harder than the passenger seat. I have been thinking it may need the foam rubber replaced. Has anyone had an upholstery shop repair the seat cushion? How much did they charge? How did it work out?

Old 07-14-09, 09:52 AM
wil1688
Driver School Candidate

I, too have the same problem with the seat ( very hard by the right thight area), I believe , it has to do with the driver's height and weight. I first bougt this attenion to the dealer in DC area, they claim, ther is nothing wrong with it. i ask the advisor to find another person with my height and build. Sure enough, that person felt my pain. The dealer then agree on having the seat cushion replace ( work for a while ) . One year later, problem return, back to the dealer( different), this time, they replace the same seat cushion, but offer to put addional padding at the bottom rear portion of the cushion. So far the seat is holding well, perfect? no, but, at least I can drive for hours w/o the need of a after market seat cushion. the car is a 2004 ls430 w/ custom option.
wil
Old 07-14-09, 10:18 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it isn't a problem on other cars and is on the LS, then it's a problem with the LS, but I'm just curious how much you guys that have the "seat problem" weigh? Possible that Lexus/Toyota did not estimate for the "average" sized American bulk...