UL stock air suspension to steel springs conversion infos

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 07:31 AM
Marston
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by S1w99
Hello,
'06 LS430 Charcoal blue/black int. UL (99K miles). I recently drove over a monster pothole (front driver) at night that hit so hard it split the tire instantly. Now the car is super springy on the front driver and even back driver side now. Going straight at any speed is very nice still. I'm assuming it means my air shock is bad and probably the control arms need replacing too. I'd consider new air shocks if they weren't so damn expensive.(got a price from a dealer of $1900 for 1. WTF? I'll have to do the spring conversion. I had an '02 LS430 and can't tell much of a difference in ride quality from my '06 UL.
Many threads have many part # listings. Now in 2020 are there any new best practices and parts for a conversion to springs? Am I correct in assuming buying a used air shock that the strut will likely be weak since it will be over a decade 15 yrs old?

With such a hard hit should I plan on replacing all the suspension parts on the driver side front and back?

Thanks for the info. I'm not a mechanic at all so I have to rely on smarter people than me when it comes to cars. But, I am on my 2nd LS430 which makes me some kind of brilliant....

-Mark
Hi Mark,

I did my conversion two years ago, and nothing new since BNR34 started. I have a parts list in this thread somewhere, and also some mistakes I made. Only change I would make would be to go OEM sport springs and struts instead of just OEM, very curious what a slightly firmer ride on the LS with 17" wheels would have been like.

Before swapping the suspension, it sounds like you should do a very detailed exam of your car, might have more damaged based on your description. I know my bad air suspension had a leak coming from the strut, as I think it blew somehow from the original owner, but the airbag itself was still intact.
Old 05-28-20, 01:42 PM
romanlutsk
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, can I do a direct swap of the air struts to the standard OEM steel struts from a junk yard? Do I need any extra parts?

I have a 2005 Lexus LS430 UL with 107K miles and the air struts are pretty bouncy (they still hold air very well, just bounce quite a bit on the uneven roads). I assume rebuilding them doesn't make (financial) sense?

Thank you!
Old 10-23-20, 10:33 AM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
I did replaced my upper strut support, it is absolutely necessary.

I think what confused you was, I called the upper strut support "strut top".

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4421716-post26.html

$3600 sounds about right from a dealer using all OEM parts, they are not ripping you off.
GUYS help me out here, I had a shop do a conversion for me from a 2002 UL with Airshocks to steel with parts from a junkyard LS replacing the struts with sport struts from mylparts is it possible that somehow this "strut top" or strut support was missing? Is it even possible to install with that missing? I am asking because I had 2 sets of struts fail by the struts leaking oil and I just need to figure this out before I pay to have this fixed again. I am thinking of going with coilovers or something else this time but I do want to get this car back on the road its just been sitting for 6 months.

Last edited by hippchip; 10-23-20 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add year
Old 10-23-20, 11:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hippchip
GUYS help me out here, I had a shop do a conversion for me from a 2002 UL with Airshocks to steel with parts from a junkyard LS replacing the struts with sport struts from mylparts is it possible that somehow this "strut top" or strut support was missing? Is it even possible to install with that missing? I am asking because I had 2 sets of struts fail by the struts leaking oil and I just need to figure this out before I pay to have this fixed again. I am thinking of going with coilovers or something else this time but I do want to get this car back on the road its just been sitting for 6 months.
It is not possible to install the strut without the strut top, the strut top is the piece where the spring and strut mount to. My OEM sport struts lasted 90k miles before it start to leak oil, it is possibly the best strut you can get, especially in the U.S.A.

Last edited by BNR34; 10-23-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 11:24 AM
hippchip
Driver

Default 15 yr old air struts

Originally Posted by S1w99
Hello,
'06 LS430 Charcoal blue/black int. UL (99K miles). I recently drove over a monster pothole (front driver) at night that hit so hard it split the tire instantly. Now the car is super springy on the front driver and even back driver side now. Going straight at any speed is very nice still. I'm assuming it means my air shock is bad and probably the control arms need replacing too. I'd consider new air shocks if they weren't so damn expensive.(got a price from a dealer of $1900 for 1. WTF? I'll have to do the spring conversion. I had an '02 LS430 and can't tell much of a difference in ride quality from my '06 UL.
Many threads have many part # listings. Now in 2020 are there any new best practices and parts for a conversion to springs? Am I correct in assuming buying a used air shock that the strut will likely be weak since it will be over a decade 15 yrs old?

With such a hard hit should I plan on replacing all the suspension parts on the driver side front and back?

Thanks for the info. I'm not a mechanic at all so I have to rely on smarter people than me when it comes to cars. But, I am on my 2nd LS430 which makes me some kind of brilliant....

-Mark
What do you need? front air struts?
Old 10-28-20, 11:27 AM
hippchip
Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
It is not possible to install the strut without the strut top, the strut top is the piece where the spring and strut mount to. My OEM sport struts lasted 90k miles before it start to leak oil, it is possibly the best strut you can get, especially in the U.S.A.
Well I have no idea then. Mine only lasted 5k miles and it happened twice. I might have to see about doing the work myself. I am using original springs and did not replace the swaybar.
Old 05-20-21, 01:57 PM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

when the fuse is pulled for the compressor, will you still get a High Height message on the dash? Wanting to use some Monroe quick struts for the conversion and didn't want anything "annoying" on the dash.
Old 10-12-23, 05:25 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

In case anyone is interested, the P/N's
The following users liked this post:
treehan77 (10-30-23)
Old 11-21-23, 06:30 PM
enermotion
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by romanlutsk;[url=tel:10814071
10814071[/url]]So, can I do a direct swap of the air struts to the standard OEM steel struts from a junk yard? Do I need any extra parts?

I have a 2005 Lexus LS430 UL with 107K miles and the air struts are pretty bouncy (they still hold air very well, just bounce quite a bit on the uneven roads). I assume rebuilding them doesn't make (financial) sense?

Thank you!

I’m also really curious about the answer to this, does anyone know?

I’ve got an 05 UL and the air suspension is currently fine, but the vehicle has 255k miles on it and I anticipate needing to replace them at some point in the next few years.
Old 11-21-23, 07:35 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

You can swap the coil spring assemblies no problem
The following users liked this post:
enermotion (11-22-23)