Need help about my 2004 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 11:45 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help about my 2004 LS 430

Got my used 04 LS 430 last month, with 78000 miles ODO

but since last week, I found that once when I was driving on Freeway, I step on gas, but rpm going to red line without speed up......

then this week I found that sometimes transy can't shift into 4th or higher gear......

and when I put shift in S mode, only shows 5 in the screen......

Last edited by BlackTulip; 03-29-09 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 05:59 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile T.S.B(Technical Service Bulletin) for 2004 LS430 possibly!!

Originally Posted by BlackTulip
Got my used 04 LS 430 last month, with 78000 miles ODO

but since last week, I found that once when I was driving on Freeway, I step on gas, but rpm going to red line without speed up......

then this week I found that sometimes transy can't shift into 4th or higher gear......

and when I put shift in S mode, only shows 5 in the screen......
Take car to Lexus dealer. They had issues with the transmission I think with your year model LS430! Im not absolutely sure so ask other members with a 2004 LS430 if this was an issue with that year LS. I know one of the years the LS had that transmission issue were the Lexus manufacture replaced the problem for LS owners. Again, Im not sure. So check with other 2004LS430 owners! Hope it turns out good for you and dont drive until you find out the issue so it doesnt worsen. L.G.N.M
Old 03-29-09, 06:03 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Check www.alldatadiy.com and see if a tsb comes up for that year!!! L.G.N.M
Old 03-29-09, 08:44 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, there was an issue with the 2004 transmission of not engaging into "Park" correctly for some flash or something, not what was described with the "shifting" but bring it to dealer none-the-less to see if it was covered for the other problem anyway. Although one might not have to do with the other, if your VIN is covered and the vehicle was not recalled for the fix, then get it done.

As for the "5" when you shift to "S" that is the first gear it displays when you first shift over. Shift up to go to 6 and down for 4 and then on... So, if you're on the highway and you hit to "S" it's the first downshift so it starts at 5.
Old 03-29-09, 09:46 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like major tranny problems....
Old 03-29-09, 11:02 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile You familiar with 2004 LS430 more than me so....

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yes, there was an issue with the 2004 transmission of not engaging into "Park" correctly for some flash or something, not what was described with the "shifting" but bring it to dealer none-the-less to see if it was covered for the other problem anyway. Although one might not have to do with the other, if your VIN is covered and the vehicle was not recalled for the fix, then get it done.

As for the "5" when you shift to "S" that is the first gear it displays when you first shift over. Shift up to go to 6 and down for 4 and then on... So, if you're on the highway and you hit to "S" it's the first downshift so it starts at 5.
...do you think it may be in the wrong gear when this driver who started the post is driving? If not it sounds like a definite transmission issue. Maybe the t.s.b if never taking care of turns into the issues this drivers having.Whts your take AlexusAnja, you have a better ability to relate and give advice car wise because you also own same year. Did sound like he still doesnt know how to use his car in terms of gear selection and may have not been told how to operate this car!!!! Really hope the best for this memebr and hope its covered under warranty!!!!L.G.N.M
Old 03-29-09, 01:06 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

thanks for ur reply

the problem is any time in S mode. screen shows me 5 forever,, whatever in stopping ot running,,

I have checked with the dealer, my LS had been recalled and replaced the trany......
Old 03-29-09, 01:09 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by usermel
...do you think it may be in the wrong gear when this driver who started the post is driving? If not it sounds like a definite transmission issue. Maybe the t.s.b if never taking care of turns into the issues this drivers having.Whts your take AlexusAnja, you have a better ability to relate and give advice car wise because you also own same year. Did sound like he still doesnt know how to use his car in terms of gear selection and may have not been told how to operate this car!!!! Really hope the best for this memebr and hope its covered under warranty!!!!L.G.N.M
It is not a wrong gear when I driving i believe, I have drive 6speed shift-stick MB for 7 yrs...... the problem is the sometimes trany won't go to 4th gear or higher,,, 60 mph stays 4500rpm~~~
Old 03-29-09, 01:30 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junjdm
sounds like major tranny problems....
^^Understatement of the year!!!!!
Old 03-29-09, 01:57 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by So Philly1
^^Understatement of the year!!!!!
that really scare me~~
Old 03-29-09, 05:48 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

now Check VSC, Check engine, and Trac Off lights all coming on at the same time
Old 03-29-09, 06:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't sound right no matter what... but you're in "full automatic" mode right, just "D" and go and this is happening with the no shifting beyond 4th gear?

As for what the "S" mode displays, I don't think it displays anything beyond what you're currently on, say "5" I've started from a stop in "S" mode with display of "5" and it surely doesn't feel like it's launching from "5" Honestly, I don't know if the "S" modes just retards the shifting to the highest that it's displayed (ie only to 3rd gear if "3" is displayed) but like all shiftable automatics, it will shift up once it's running on a high rpm too long.
Old 03-29-09, 06:40 PM
BlackTulip
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't sound right no matter what... but you're in "full automatic" mode right, just "D" and go and this is happening with the no shifting beyond 4th gear?

As for what the "S" mode displays, I don't think it displays anything beyond what you're currently on, say "5" I've started from a stop in "S" mode with display of "5" and it surely doesn't feel like it's launching from "5" Honestly, I don't know if the "S" modes just retards the shifting to the highest that it's displayed (ie only to 3rd gear if "3" is displayed) but like all shiftable automatics, it will shift up once it's running on a high rpm too long.
Yes, i was in "Full automatic" mode~~just D without the shifting``

that used car still in used car dealer's 30 days powertran warrantee(but that is a 50/50 ,, means i have to pay a half)~will take it in Monday morning~~~

this is my first Lexus,,, really don't want make me a nightmare to the nice Lexus
Old 03-29-09, 06:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Geez, really bad luck,
I hope this will cover under warranty.
Old 03-29-09, 08:07 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackTulip
now Check VSC, Check engine, and Trac Off lights all coming on at the same time
It's now time to go to the dealer. They'll pull the codes and give you a diagnosis of what is going on. Having a trans not working correctly, followed by the Check VSC\Engine\Trac Off lights is the standard recipe for a potentially major trans problem.

When the ES350 was having it's transmission-death issues, this is exactly what you'd see. Misbehaving trans followed by all the warning lights.

In general, trans problems in the LS430 are ridiculously rare events. The only known problems were the very small first batch of 6 speed 2004 models which transmissions were all replaced. That's it.

Quick Reply: Need help about my 2004 LS 430