LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Old argument but help please (Avalon vs LS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 04:10 AM
ncee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old argument but help please (Avalon vs LS)

Hi folks. I have a small problem (most of my family says I have no problem).

I purchased a 2008 Avalon Touring Edition in November, and now I'm thinking (I wish I had read and drove some LS 430's first).

The Avalon is a wonderful car, just not quiet as comfortable as I'd like.

I'm an on-the-road salesman who puts on 35,000 + miles a year, and I really want a quiet car, a smooth car … over the long haul. I typically drive until my fuel ligh has been on for 50 miles or so, before fueling up (which most say is my biggest problem) - and find that my *** gets a bit uncomfortable in the Avalon. And it's not as quite as I'd like.

Now I know some of this is nit-picking and that the car is really all I need, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Is the LS430 that much:

- Smoother a ride?
- More quiet a ride?
- More comfortable over the long haul?

I've seen several LS430's available around (2004 - 2006) - with 25,000 - 50,000 miles on them for between $27,500.00 - $35,000.00. This seems fair, but I must admit, I'm not sure I can convince myself to go backwards 3 or more years for a car with many more miles on it.

Now what I really wish, was that I had done some research first, and drove some LS 430's. This may have made my decision that much easier.

In general … what are your thoughts?

Which model(s) of the LS 430 should I consider?

Is the Navigation on any models / years, better then others?

Is there a year / model that is more comfortable? Quieter?

Thanks in advance for your input folks.

Skip
Old 03-30-09, 05:16 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with you about the Touring model. Many on the dealers lots are rental cars, this was the target of this model mostly. Get a LS above 03 for a 6 speed tranny, new facelift and headlights. I have the pretty base premium package and am totally happy with it. You can spend more for the Modern Custom or Ultra luxury pkg. It all is about how much you want to spend from the 58k plus sticker price but they depreciate rapidly if you look hard enough.

The custom luxury and ultra may be quiter with laminated side glass. Even a few years old they I feel they are safe purchases as they have the #1 reliability rating of any auto.
Old 03-30-09, 09:27 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ncee
Is the LS430 that much:

- Smoother a ride?
- More quiet a ride?
LS 430 is smoother, quieter, and more comfortable even than an ES or GS, so it'll definitely be moreso than an Avalon. Toyota does a VERY good job of building in additional quality and value as the price and specifications increase.

I've seen several LS430's available around (2004 - 2006) - with 25,000 - 50,000 miles on them for between $27,500.00 - $35,000.00. This seems fair, but I must admit, I'm not sure I can convince myself to go backwards 3 or more years for a car with many more miles on it.
Frankly, you could go backwards an entire generation and still get significantly more car. The LS is at least 2 classes above the Avalon.

Now what I really wish, was that I had done some research first, and drove some LS 430's. This may have made my decision that much easier.
Actually, that's exactly what you need to do now. Just go drive some and the decision will probably be an easy one for you.

I'd recommend an '04+ due to the 6-speed tranny that makes the car feel even more responsive, the mildly updated appearance, and the slightly better Nav system since you travel a lot (though LS430's are not known for having a great Nav system in any year model). I do NOT think the '04+ is any more comfortable (I kinda think that the seats in my '03 were more comfortable than the '04+ but I'm still investigating and comparing ). But overall it's not as if there is anything wrong with the '01-'03 -- the '04+ just has a few updates.
Old 03-30-09, 11:04 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can sort of understand the question of "should I get an ES350 or a Camry" because they are similiar vehicles, but to compare an Avalon to an LS is like comparing a Corolla to an IS. The powertrain is different, the drive configuration is different, the look and feel are all different.

I have an '04 LS430 and $ for $, there is nothing out there that can beat it. Low mileage (under 40K for an LS is brand new in my book) for $28K or so. What are you getting new nowadays for $28? Nothing really much. A loaded Accord or Camry is running you into the $30K range. My only experience with an Avalon is a loaded 2005 with NAV that belonged to my dad's friend. There were times that I had it for the weekend and that V6 is just strained in that vehicle.

Just a snap shot of the two:

LS V8 kicks the rear of the V6 in torque that it's not even close.

LS is easily more quiet. A deaf person could tell the difference.

LS rear drive handles so much better on the straight away and even around hard turns. The Avalon felt more "sturdy" because of the FWD and really because of the lack of power so you really couldn't lose control if you tried.

As for seating, some on here have noted the hard and uncomfortable seats for the LS, but I'm 5'10" and 180lbs. and we recently took a trip to Orlando from NJ and I had not one single problem (I did the drive in one day 18 hours), so I didn't even have a rest in between.

LS historically have ran to well over 300K with no issues on powertrain (as with any V8 really. Look at Towncars, virtually bulletproof on powertrain) and the LS430 should be no different.

Last is the "snob" effect. It's just different riding in a Lexus than a Toyota. Before buying my LS, I'd see one and go "damn, there goes some rich old guy..." with the Avalon it was just "there goes some old guy..."

As for NAV, the two are same, not better or worse. Again, many have issues with it, I have not seen any issues with it that I couldn't live with. I've had three portable units before as reference, so I'm not a newbie NAV lover of the LS.

Plus, for you as a sales person, I'm sure it's more impressive to drive up in a Lexus, than a big Toyota. Test drive one and you'll love it. If not, hey, you still have your Avalon and that's "not too bad" a car either...
Old 03-30-09, 11:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
...Plus, for you as a sales person, I'm sure it's more impressive to drive up in a Lexus, than a big Toyota.
That last part cuts both ways, though. It depends on what you're selling, but there are a lot of companies -- and a LOT of individual sales people -- who do not want to drive up in a vehicle that gives the impression that you are making too much money because the people at the company you are visiting will usually think you must be charging them too much for whatever it is that you're selling them. Of course we know a LS430 is a very sensible purchase, but 98% of the general public do not know this.
Old 03-30-09, 02:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What the !??!?!

Originally Posted by I6turbo
That last part cuts both ways, though. It depends on what you're selling, but there are a lot of companies -- and a LOT of individual sales people -- who do not want to drive up in a vehicle that gives the impression that you are making too much money because the people at the company you are visiting will usually think you must be charging them too much for whatever it is that you're selling them. Of course we know a LS430 is a very sensible purchase, but 98% of the general public do not know this.
Very true. Honestly, if I saw someone pulling up in a LS430 or S550, I'd be thinking "dag... how much am I paying over cost for this product?"

Then again, do you want to pull up in a Hyundai Elantra instead?
Old 03-30-09, 03:00 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I work at a retail sales store. I refuse to make it obvious that I drive an LS due to changing the customers perspective. They see me drive up and think I make a lot of cash (and I do well ) and expect a better price.

I also find I make up a lot of excuses as to how I got the car...."it's 3 years old, it's got a lot of miles on it, similar in price to a new accord, it's really just a Toyota"

To original question of which to go with between the two. I highly considered both cars for an extended period of time before I chose the LS. The Avalon is a very well apointed vehicle. The LS just had a wow factor for me. I enjoyed the exterior styling much more so then the Avalon, particularly the front end of the Avalon. The Lexus name plate also gets much more attention, which I enjoy despite making up reason on why I can afford to own it.

The Avalon will naturally be less expensive to maintain, but I would purchase both with the hopes that I will be spending little on repairs.

It really came down to the fact that I wanted the LS. I knew they were both nice, but also knew I really wanted the LS. It's already been said several times but drive the LS a couple times and make the decision for youself.
Old 03-30-09, 06:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing Avalon is better than the LS is, it has bigger rear room! Last time I was checking out my client's new Avalon, the rear seat room is so much bigger than my LS, especially it's a FWD so it doesn't have the rear center tunnel.
Old 03-30-09, 07:35 PM
spender
Driver

I was looking for an Avalon myself when I found my LS430. I had rented one in Scottsdale and had been very impressed with it. However, there were not a lot of them in Canada, and the ones I did see were quite expensive. Imagine my surprise when I found a 2006 LS430 for the same price that I had budgeted for my 2006/2007 Avalon! Great car, still had warranty and ECP on it. I like them both, and would probably have been very happy with an Avalon but now - there's no going back from an LS430!

Unfortunately, Car & Driver's vehicle annual last year called it right when they describe the Avalon as a "Japanese Buick"...
Old 03-30-09, 08:40 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Advice from the soul!!!

Originally Posted by ncee
Hi folks. I have a small problem (most of my family says I have no problem).

I purchased a 2008 Avalon Touring Edition in November, and now I'm thinking (I wish I had read and drove some LS 430's first).

The Avalon is a wonderful car, just not quiet as comfortable as I'd like.

I'm an on-the-road salesman who puts on 35,000 + miles a year, and I really want a quiet car, a smooth car … over the long haul. I typically drive until my fuel ligh has been on for 50 miles or so, before fueling up (which most say is my biggest problem) - and find that my *** gets a bit uncomfortable in the Avalon. And it's not as quite as I'd like.

Now I know some of this is nit-picking and that the car is really all I need, but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Is the LS430 that much:

- Smoother a ride?
- More quiet a ride?

In general … what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input folks.

Skip
I own the LS430(2001) and I must say if I were you I'd stay with what you have for at least 3-5 years. Then trade or sell the Avalon! Its just a car,Im speaking of the LS430 and any Luxury car you may consider one. Also, the Avalon is Toyota reliable and less of a service price issue! The LS service will be higher cost wise and its not worth it dear sir. If you have a Million dollars and its not an issue fine, get the LS!

As for me,human to human, I say keep your paper and buy some seatcovers(sheepskin,Australian) Rockymountain sheepskin is what I have on my leather and it provides instant padding. Will cost a few yards for both front seats but, cheaper than a brand new ride will be. You could trade if you just want the LS but, as a business move based on dollars and cents, it makes no sense!! All the best and I know I wont be agreed with but, we have so much more than most in the US even with the bad economy and I wont tell another American to buy just to buy! Save your portraits of historical figures!!!!!
Old 03-30-09, 09:19 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you drive that much, Then just wait a year or two... l would then buy one of the 07's just coming off lease.. I drove a new Avy and felt that the 06 LS was a better car for the money.. I don'at drive that much any more, so I am happy with my decision...

Plus the LS is not driving a Toyota. It is driving a Lexus. Driving a $41k Avalon is still a Toyota. People that do not own a Toyota do not know that the Avalon is any diff than a Camry..

Use a little patience. It will pay off in the long run.
Old 03-30-09, 09:37 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile great advice!

Originally Posted by Budhah
If you drive that much, Then just wait a year or two... l would then buy one of the 07's just coming off lease.. I drove a new Avy and felt that the 06 LS was a better car for the money.. I don'at drive that much any more, so I am happy with my decision...

Plus the LS is not driving a Toyota. It is driving a Lexus. Driving a $41k Avalon is still a Toyota. People that do not own a Toyota do not know that the Avalon is any diff than a Camry..

Use a little patience. It will pay off in the long run.
Good points. He can buy a used LS later for even cheaper than he can now. I'd wait a while and drive the Avalon and be patient as well. If the poster just cant wait and can afford the hit financially I know he will buy regardless. All the best on whatever he decides! L.G.N.M
Old 03-31-09, 09:49 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

what in the world does L.G.N.M stand for?
Old 03-31-09, 11:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I test drove the Avalon Touring when it came out and found the ride to be borderline harsh. My '94 GS300 rides better than the Avalon by far and it's lowered with 20s on it. The LS430 is hands down a smoother, quieter, and more comfortable car. I would look for an '04 or '05 UL. Love those cars!
Old 03-31-09, 01:12 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

get the LS, dont matter which year as everyone said 04+ if you can, with the amount of driving you do, you would be making a bad decision if you don't get the LS. LS430 is one of the best cars ever made period.

Quick Reply: Old argument but help please (Avalon vs LS)