LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Coilover install for LS430 w/ pics? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 08:27 AM
MillerLite
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover install for LS430 w/ pics? anyone?

I did some serach and maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

I have done Both of my LS4 and 2 Sc3's, Is the suspension from the 01 LS430 any different them the 99 LS4's?

Anyone know of a how to with pics for a LS430?

Thanks
Old 03-30-09, 09:03 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed mine a couple years ago and then just uninstalled them (put back stock for sale of the car) about a week ago. I didn't make photos but might be able to write up the procedure in the next coupleof days if nobody points you to a DIY posting.
Old 03-30-09, 09:41 AM
MillerLite
Driver

Did you come across any snags? Like I said I have done my last 99 LS4 is it simmilar. Removing rear seats in the rear and what not?

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-30-09, 12:10 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

No real snags. The only hard part is figuring out what you have to loosen or remove. It's one of those jobs where the first front or rear one will take you 2 hours then the second one will take you 25 minutes because you know just what to do. Here's a very quick overview based on my recollection...

Note: You'll want a small floor jack or some type of jack to lift the a-arm assembly a little to take the tension off the shock mounting studs and sway bar end links when the time comes to slide them off the studs or out of the mounting holes. IIRC I used this front and rear.

Front: disconnect anti-sway bar, unbolt shock/coilover assembly at the top and bottom, remove the clamp that holds the brake line to the upper A-arm, use a pulley puller to pop loose the upper ball joint (remove the nut, flip the nut over and screw it back on until the stud is flush with the face of the nut). Once you've done the above you can push the hub/a-arm/assembly down enough to remove the shock/coilover assembly. Reverse for installing.

Rear: Pop loose the seat bottom and disconnect the seat heater plugs on each side, stand seat bottom up against front seats, unbolt seat back (4 bolts at bottom, 3 at top) and pull it forward, pop out the 2 little push-in retainer deallies that hold the rear shelf down (this will allow you to get your hand/wrench in to remove the upper shock cover and bolts), unbolt the shock top and bottom, unbolt the sway bar, press the hub downward to gain enough clearance to get the shock off the mounting stud and out. Installation is the reverse.

IIRC that's basically the major points ( leaving out a few obvious things like jacking the car up, removing the wheels, etc.).
Old 03-30-09, 12:45 PM
MillerLite
Driver

Hey sounds like the LS4, same thing aside the plastic pannels under the hood and seat heaters in the back.

Thanks a lot once again for the reply, ordering my suspension this week. Debating over Megans still. Had them on my past two cars and no issues. Maybe trying something diff.

Any opinions?
Old 03-30-09, 06:34 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tein CS.....
Old 03-30-09, 06:46 PM
MillerLite
Driver

Why are Tein CS's so much more them the Megan's ? Is it really worth paying almost double?
Old 03-30-09, 06:59 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MillerLite
Why are Tein CS's so much more them the Megan's ? Is it really worth paying almost double?
man this is going to be interesting i cant wait to see the answers from the other members
Old 03-30-09, 07:02 PM
MillerLite
Driver

Oopss... did I touch a sensitive subject?
Old 03-30-09, 07:59 PM
vbspunger
Pole Position

Yeah your going to get an earful from alot of the members about why the tien cs are worth it......if they are, i wouldn't know. I just recently put on some BC racing coilovers and i love them!!! i think they are probably a step up from the Megans and they are around the same price. soft spring rates as well.
Old 03-30-09, 08:28 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a direct comparison, but I had CS on my GS400, Love it. Had Megan on my SC, hate it.
But Megan does give you more drop than CS though.
Old 03-31-09, 06:21 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

I have a set of the Aluminum body Tein CS and they are great for the LS. I haven't owned any other coilover for the LS so I can't compare, but if the newer steel CS are as good as the aluminum ones, and you want to be able to preserve the good factory ride if you want to, and have the option to turn the dampening up a bit if you want to do that instead, and you don't want to try to drop it all the way to the ground (although my CS appeared to be capable of dropping my car quite a lot) then I think you will be happy with the CS. Whatever you buy, I recommend buying one that's made for COMFORT, not wannabe racing. The CS is made for comfort as well as a bit of "sport."
Old 03-31-09, 06:36 AM
MillerLite
Driver

Def. looking at confort I plan to keep this car for a while and makes no sense to run stiff spring rates on a luxury sedan.

I looked at BC racing that vbspunger mentioned and the spring rates are simmilar to the ones in Tein. It sucks to count change to buy something so important its just that I paid her cash and now I will be broke for a while.

The search continues... Thanks for all the imput everyone
Old 03-31-09, 09:24 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

At first i did'nt know about the BC coilovers but after alot of research and reading other forums i have'nt heard anything bad about them.
Old 03-31-09, 09:55 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

megans = the ride is fine, i think the megans that andy had were used and abused

tein cs = great ride, but will not lower more than an inch! ive seen these and have gotten rides in both!!

Quick Reply: Coilover install for LS430 w/ pics? anyone?