LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

When you pay your last car payment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 07:20 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When you pay your last car payment...

...is it normal to want to buy another car? I paid off my '04 2 days ago, and with my last car (gs) after I paid off I immediately wanted to buy another car.
I haven't gotten that urge this time so far - is it because I was always looking at the LS with envy before?
Random thoughts for today.
Old 04-01-09, 07:45 AM
ncee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. I do and feel the same way, when ever I pay off something

Skip
Old 04-01-09, 08:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

We've paid cash for the last few cars we have bought. Few actions are as sobering as writing a big check to buy a car. It really makes us think about whether a purchase is very important.

We buy cars only when we need to ... to replace a car that is becoming too expensive to maintain or that is literally worn out or when a car has dropped below our safety requirements. Except for one "fun" car I bought new and almost never drove, I am on only my third car since 1979: a new Mercedes in 1979, a new Lexus LS in 1990 and a used 2000 LS in 2003.

Our current plan is to replace the 2000 LS in about 2013-2015 ... maybe with another three year old off lease LS.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (02-15-23)
Old 04-01-09, 10:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky3
...is it normal to want to buy another car? I paid off my '04 2 days ago, and with my last car (gs) after I paid off I immediately wanted to buy another car.
I haven't gotten that urge this time so far - is it because I was always looking at the LS with envy before?
I was actually thinking of this yesterday-random thinking while sitting in traffic

However, I look around and going down the mental list, there's not another car that I truly had to have or wanted to get. I'm not crazy about MBs, BMWs, Audis anymore. Forget acura, infiniti is ok (want to see their new Q though).

The LS is good enough for me since I love it and fits all of my criterias.
Actually I lie. When I hit mid-life, I'll want a sports/coupe.....DBS or NSX
NSX is more realistic
Old 04-01-09, 11:20 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope, I drive my cars to the ground. The only cars that I've sold are my '95 Civic after 220K because a friend of mine needed a "test car" for his wife to drive. Then the Accord was just "I had to get rid of" because it was ticking me off and driving me away from Honda, although I knew it was Honda's fault, it was just bad prior owner maintenance.

I know I'll be keeping my LS forever, if it runs forever....
Old 04-02-09, 05:30 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda feel the same. Instead of keepin what i have & savin some money, i usually splurge and go buy somethin else.
Old 04-02-09, 06:54 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Its mental!!!

It's all mental. As you have probably been use to paying a car payment for years!! Dont fall for the mental trick the system has created dear member. Its systematic,pure and simple!! Try and go at least 1 year and don't buy a car please. Trust that if you were to buy a car tomorrow you'd regret buying it within 2 months! Most Americans aren't use to ownership of anything but the clothes on there back. Credit has developed a mindset of I can get what I want, not what I need!

Your mental and spirit(3rd and 4th eye) needs to condition itself to a mindset of owning not borrowing. This isnt a knock on you or anyone. I fall in the same boat as you and am speaking from experience. Everytime I owned my car outright I went and got another within 2-3 months. So trust Im not downing anyone on this topic just want to help you to not make same bad decisions I made!! There are many on clublexus who pay cash only and drive cars for 7-10 years and thats wise.

America has a culture of want and need is what most people associate with what poor people do and budgets are what most relate to not being affluent! Its mentality! The high most feel when they pull up in a new/used car and are given what most think is respect is what also drives human emotion to buy!! Contentment is priceless and the key is to know when one has reached the point were they don't have to chase what is wanted/needed anymore and now there in a great place. Most f us cant see when we have it all because we always can see someone with more that makes us FEEL like were LESS than those with more. L.G.N.M

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-09, 12:05 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usermel
It's all mental. As you have probably been use to paying a car payment for years!! Dont fall for the mental trick the system has created dear member. Its systematic,pure and simple!! Try and go at least 1 year and don't buy a car please. Trust that if you were to buy a car tomorrow you'd regret buying it within 2 months! Most Americans aren't use to ownership of anything but the clothes on there back. Credit has developed a mindset of I can get what I want, not what I need!

Your mental and spirit(3rd and 4th eye) needs to condition itself to a mindset of owning not borrowing. This isnt a knock on you or anyone. I fall in the same boat as you and am speaking from experience. Everytime I owned my car outright I went and got another within 2-3 months. So trust Im not downing anyone on this topic just want to help you to not make same bad decisions I made!! There are many on clublexus who pay cash only and drive cars for 7-10 years and thats wise.

America has a culture of want and need is what most people associate with what poor people do and budgets are what most relate to not being affluent! Its mentality! The high most feel when they pull up in a new/used car and are given what most think is respect is what also drives human emotion to buy!! Contentment is priceless and the key is to know when one has reached the point were they don't have to chase what is wanted/needed anymore and now there in a great place. Most f us cant see when we have it all because we always can see someone with more that makes us FEEL like were LESS than those with more. L.G.N.M
Ok, couple of things. What does LGNM mean? Secondly, while I agree with your post for most people, there are a couple of factors at work this time around. After I paid off my GS, I test drove an LS430. Big mistake - had to have one. Secondly, we are 100% debt free except for 19 years left on our house. So we're pretty good about money. Third, we're expecting our 2nd child in July, so that makes getting another car the dumbest idea ever.

Short of high end sports cars and really high end Luxury cars, what brand new is better than an 2004-2006 LS430 that's paid for?
Answer - nothing.
Old 04-03-09, 01:01 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Hahahahaha!

Ok, couple of things. What does LGNM mean? Secondly, while I agree with your post for most people, there are a couple of factors at work this time around. After I paid off my GS, I test drove an LS430. Big mistake - had to have one. Secondly, we are 100% debt free except for 19 years left on our house. So we're pretty good about money. Third, we're expecting our 2nd child in July, so that makes getting another car the dumbest idea ever.

Short of high end sports cars and really high end Luxury cars, what brand new is better than an 2004-2006 LS430 that's paid for?
Answer - nothing.
I agree with you dear sir, enjoy your LS! My statement wasn't meant to be directed at you or anyone else at all. It was more of a general thing so sorry to you or anyone I may have offended! That said, it was only stated by me to have people think before we buy! Im by far not the pot calling the kettle black. What I said in my first post and you quoted I actually did bro(made some bad decisions once I had my car paid off and no debt,total zero debt).

It was more of a "I made this bad decision don't do as I did statement"but, again wasnt meant to be directed at anyone individual! I looked back at some of these decisions in 2003 and I had just turned 30. It hit me that I(not others just me and some do the same) only wanted something out of habit. Had been so used to a car payment it became common! At 30 my mind changed overnight! The saying goes "you spend your 20's mess'n your life up and spend your 30's fixing it (life)"!

A general statement and cautionary warning at best to my fellow members, enjoy the new baby and the LS 430,congrats!!! (L.G.N.M)

Last edited by usermel; 04-04-09 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 04:49 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

TIME TO MOD THE HELL OUT OF IT!!! Just kidding..... Enjoy the non payment days as much as you can.....
Old 04-03-09, 06:36 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, couple of things. What does LGNM mean?
L<G<N<M Long gone, no Money....

If you lonely about making car payments... Take another loan out on the car, and just put it in the bank... Of course you are throwing away the interest. It is actually better to place the amount of old car payment toward your home Mortgage. You would be surprised how fas the house is paid off.

I know some people that buy a new house and pay thousands a month in mortgage payment, and only a few bucks goes toward the principle.. One car payment could easily wipe out 3-6 months of house payments.. Do a simple Amortization table on paying just a $100 a month extra for one or two years... You will save thousands of the life of the loan. On a $200k house by paying $100 a month extra you could save over $50k on interest...

Do you really need to buy a newer car?? LOL

Last edited by Budhah; 04-03-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 03:12 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

No offense meant here. I think we're all creatures of our culture. I was born in 1938 and raised by parents that had gone thru the great depression in the dust bowl. Dad always said if you can't afford it, don't buy it. I only loan he ever had was when he bought some farm land.

Consequently, I have never had a car loan in my life. Paid cash for every purchase. Foolishly, I traded for 3 new cars while I was in college (cash every time).

The only used car I ever bought was the 2004 LS430 two year ago. Best car I've ever owned.

None of us need to make any apologizes for what we do regarding cars as long as we haven't abused our families and others.

The saddle interior looks great and am sure you will enjoy the car.
Old 04-07-09, 08:36 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You are growing up, grasshopper.

In the category of sensible, luxury cars there's frankly not much to aspire to once you're in an LS430, IMO. I recently sold my '03 LS and was looking around at something to replace it with. We drove several MB S550's (fabulous cars with the sport package) an A8L (interesting, felt somewhat "sporting" on the road, kinda loud, and not really quicker than the LS), LS460 (amazing sound system but otherwise I don't really see an advantage over the 430 and I do not care for the Giant Camry styling), and some other stuff. The LS430 kept pulling me back as my overall favorite. So I just bought an '05.

Last edited by I6turbo; 04-07-09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 12:58 PM
adob0
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i went for about a year after i paid off my integra without buying another car. i enjoyed not paying that car note while it lasted.
Old 04-08-09, 04:11 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Actually L.G.N.M means....

Originally Posted by Budhah
L<G<N<M Long gone, no Money....

If you lonely about making car payments... Take another loan out on the car, and just put it in the bank... Of course you are throwing away the interest. It is actually better to place the amount of old car payment toward your home Mortgage. You would be surprised how fas the house is paid off.

I know some people that buy a new house and pay thousands a month in mortgage payment, and only a few bucks goes toward the principle.. One car payment could easily wipe out 3-6 months of house payments.. Do a simple Amortization table on paying just a $100 a month extra for one or two years... You will save thousands of the life of the loan. On a $200k house by paying $100 a month extra you could save over $50k on interest...

Do you really need to buy a newer car?? LOL
LOVE.GOD.NOT.MONEY(L.G.N.M) I use initials not to offend non-religious people and before im attacked by those who disagree with my L.G.N.M being used, I mean no disrespect to anyone please dont comment to me about my beliefs I only am answering this because what he said it stood for was way off base(Long Gone No Money) and also I was asked by another member what L.G.N.M stood for. L.G.N.M represents the true strength it takes to love.

Most equate success to GOD blessing them with money(things,cars,homes jewels etc.)! So I use L.G.N.M as a reminder to myself for what I stand for meaning that I love GOD now as a man with Money as I did when I had no Money. My frugality is a symbol of humilty and contentment. I dont show my wealth via things and can buy more cars. I turn my talents into more now, and buy what is needed, not desired. That said, I respect others ways and have no problem with others who buy and enjoy, I totally get it and respect that. I just decided that if things are the goal then what is life truly about.

I just always want to help others, thats all. Being frugal is a sign of WISDOM, and growth for me. I have been totally unaffected by this economy because of these principals. That said I feel for those struggling now and hope nothing but the best for them. I wasnt always like this(35 years old now)!

Love is not what is shown via money(buying kids what they want or buying gifts) its in honesty and truth and saying no to a child and to loved ones when its needed. L.G.N.M is personal to me so please no attacking me please I ask out of respect. Lets get back to topic out of respect to the moderator and to my fellow members sorry for this post,thanks LOVE YOU ALL!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 04-08-09 at 04:19 AM. Reason: spelling!!

Quick Reply: When you pay your last car payment...