LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

looking at an 02 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 10:41 AM
mrbooms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at an 02 LS430

I am going to check out an LS430 after work today and it is an 02 with 98k, little more than id like, but for the right price i may make a move. the guy says its in perfect shape and was properly maintained. i would not buy it, just like any other car i look at, until is passes an inspection at my mechanic or a lexus dealership. my question is, should i be looking for certain things that could be wrong, or something that might signify future problems? any info would be awesome, thank you.
Old 04-13-09, 01:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '02

Originally Posted by mrbooms
... My question is, should i be looking for certain things that could be wrong, or something that might signify future problems? any info would be awesome, thank you.
I have not heard of any BIG problems that are recurring with the earlier, or even the later LS430s. The only recalls I think through the generation was the 2004 with two transmission recalls for the early '04 production. Other than that, it's been bulletproof.

Which trim? If not UL, then nothing besides the air suspension that MIGHT go around 90K but even that might be only exagerrated by CL forum members because we're a select group that comes on with issues and that might the only issue to report...

With any used car, the usual kick the tires, check for leaks, and check for scratches are in order, but for the LS, it'll just be more "follow the steps" because if it's really been maintained as proper as the owner says, then it should be fine.
Old 04-13-09, 02:59 PM
hrp
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currrently my '02 LS430 (purchased new) has 85k and has been (knock on wood) a wonderful and reliable car. Problems have included a cd getting stuck in the disk changer and a tsb recall for a potential brake problem. Currently still under warranty for another 4 months. In today for the 85k servicing and my list of problems include problems with the driver's outside mirror not staying in adjustment (replaced once previously under warranty), console cupholders not staying retracted, passenger door pocket falling open easily, and trunk support gas struts getting weak. If my wife and I didn't keep cars until they became unreliable, we want to get our money's worth from that extended warranty.
So, basically, the 2002 LS430 has been an incredibly reliable and solid car. No rattles, significant problems, etc. Gas milage ranges from 18 - 26, and averages just a tad better than 20mpg for our average driving (computer says we average 28mph in our driving).
For my $$, great car!!!