LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Newest Nav Update that still has Nav Override?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 04:34 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newest Nav Update that still has Nav Override?

Title says it all, whats the newest nav update to be had that does not delete the override feature on my 2005LS?
Old 04-14-09, 04:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 also.

Originally Posted by bigcory
Title says it all, whats the newest nav update to be had that does not delete the override feature on my 2005LS?
Like my 2004, Gen. 4 and I'm pretty sure that 5.1 was the last version that allowed for the "volume" press-press-press overriding ability. I had gotten a 6.1 disc which seller claimed was for Gen. 4, but did not work as I found out later it was for Gen. 5. I'm pretty sure I got the 6.1 expecting it not to have the override.
Old 04-14-09, 10:07 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto, v5.1 was the last one w/ manual over ride... btw what the lastest Gen 4 DVD out right now (7.1, 8.1)?
Old 04-15-09, 04:55 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default 8.1

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
ditto, v5.1 was the last one w/ manual over ride... btw what the lastest Gen 4 DVD out right now (7.1, 8.1)?
It's 8.1 It was just released late last year or early this year. Anyway, it's only a few months old.

I was meaning to upgrade to the 6.1 because "older" DVD are always cheaper once it's two or three versions old. The newest is like $280+ at dealer installed. Might as well get a portable unit...
Old 04-15-09, 05:13 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i noticed the L-tuned website since like September 08 that it says this on the nav upgrade disc, selling for 287$

** 2008 CY Navigation Update DVD - Data Ver 08.1 Scheduled to be available mid-October, 2008 **

does this mean that a new version should be out soon??
Old 04-15-09, 05:31 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Every year... ugh ugh

Originally Posted by sojah
i noticed the L-tuned website since like September 08 that it says this on the nav upgrade disc, selling for 287$

** 2008 CY Navigation Update DVD - Data Ver 08.1 Scheduled to be available mid-October, 2008 **

does this mean that a new version should be out soon??
Unfortunately, an "update" is released every stinking year because everyone has to make money. There are only two major "mappers" of roads, NAVTEC (which does google, mapquest, portables like Garmin) and another that I never seem to remember the name (something like Acutrak or something), and all they do is track and create new roads. The thing is that updates are usually 2-years behind in terms of what's really out there. So, if you have a new road that's just built down the street, it could be 2 to 3 years before it shows up on the maps.

Unless you're living in an up and coming area where new roads are popping up left and right, the updates won't really help much. Most years, it updates 10% roads and 90% POI more than anything.

I've found that even with my 4.1 version, I'll go onto google map or something where I can't find the address on my NAV, and get coordinates and pop them in using coordinates. Then the nav directs me to that "spot" as close as it can.
Old 04-15-09, 06:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well all i know is that i have an 05 ls with the original nav version for that year and where i live is like 15 years old and none of the roads or even the ones leading up to it are on my nav and i know at the beginning of the neighborhood is even older, like 20 years old. plus when i drive down the highway my nav is useless half the time around dc and baltimore or even out to the DE beaches the nav is not correct... i know the correct roads and the nav is telling me to turn off some super long route road to get to the same destination.

so i thought by updating i would solve this problem hopefully, but who knows, i guess i will either wait for the new version or get this 8.1 version. which version do you have alexus, and are you having any of these problems around NJ areas??
Old 04-15-09, 07:22 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Gps

Originally Posted by sojah
well all i know is that i have an 05 ls with the original nav version for that year and where i live is like 15 years old and none of the roads or even the ones leading up to it are on my nav and i know at the beginning of the neighborhood is even older, like 20 years old. plus when i drive down the highway my nav is useless half the time around dc and baltimore or even out to the DE beaches the nav is not correct... i know the correct roads and the nav is telling me to turn off some super long route road to get to the same destination.

so i thought by updating i would solve this problem hopefully, but who knows, i guess i will either wait for the new version or get this 8.1 version. which version do you have alexus, and are you having any of these problems around NJ areas??
That is strange that roads that old are not showing on your GPS. I'm running 4.1 still, but your's should be 5.1, and it should be updated up to no later than roads existing in 2002 or 2003. For me, I have been able to find everything thus far that I had on my Nuvi 660.

I was down in D.C. this past weekend and version 4.1 does not have the road leading up to the Uvy Space Museum at Dulles Airport. I had to use coordinates to find it and even then, it lead me to the "far side" of the airport because it always tries to get you as close as possible on existing roads. Unfortunately that route was not close enough to anything. Finally found signs for the hangar.

In your case, I would say updating to version 8.1 should help for sure. Are you saying the addresses are not in the system, or the roads don't show either? If it's the address, then you might be in wrong region. I think you have to be in region 8 to get Del.DC,Maryland area, while 9 is NJ and NY. If you're saying your neighborhood roads are not displaying at all, then that is strange...
Old 04-15-09, 07:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i'll have to check on the region thing but i recall a NE location not necessarily a number. i did buy it up in Vorhees NJ. it finds most addresses and poi's but a lot of streets are blank and routes use really old streets that i didn't even know about when there are huge hgwy thoroughfares that it completely overlooks. maybe it is just the number loc thing like you recommended. i'm still leaning more towards the nav upgrade but i don't really have that much confidence that the $300 nav upgrade will even solve all of this... i find myself having to use my g1 as a nav to verify routes or to keep them both honest.
Old 04-15-09, 08:15 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
It would be the hybrid disk v6.1 maps with v5.1 base.
Old 04-16-09, 08:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

my nav version was 4.1 and the setting was set for the correct location of 9 which is VA, MD, DE, etc...
Old 04-22-09, 02:37 PM
childsucce
Driver School Candidate

I have an 09 RX 350. I am not sure what nav version we have but I suspect it is pretty new. I have found the nav system unable to give directions in a number of circumstances even though the streets and roads have been there fror at least 5 years if not more. This has happened in my area (Charleston, SC), and in Statesboro GA. We have had the car since Jan. and are planning a cross country road trip this summer. We will probably take our little $200 Garmin which has never had this problem even in rural areas. Have others found this to be the case? Is there a fix?
Thanks Larry
Old 04-24-09, 03:25 AM
msingh
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I am curious though if the new DVD does anything to the brains of the system vs. just a map update.
Old 04-24-09, 04:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

me too ^ ^ ^.???