Tires for my LS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 05:35 AM
Igoboe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for my LS430

Hello guys,

I am thinking about replacing 18' tires for my 06 LS 430.
Any suggestions for my conservative driving?
I need something comfortable, soft, less noisy for all season (don't have snow where I live).
Thanx a million.

IL
Old 04-16-09, 06:38 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin Primacy,,

very quiet and even the wife noticed the improved ride and quietness,, liked them so much she wanted a set on her Turbo VW Bug,,

Derry
Old 04-16-09, 06:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I've been shopping and test driving a lot of LS430's lately and I drove one with 245/45/18 Michelin Primacy tires (appeard to be a new or nearly new set). The car drove and rode perfectly and was almost as quiet as any LS I've been in, this latter being quite an accomplishment for 18's when compared to the comfort-hog 17's on many of the LS cars). For perspective, I'll also admit that I'm a big Michelin fan, but that's because I'm very, very picky about tires, and I've learned over the years (through ownership of about 40 vehicles and probably at least 80 sets of various brands of tires) that I'm a lot more likely to be happy with Michelin tires than any other brand.
Old 04-16-09, 08:24 AM
hrp
Rookie

Put Michelin Primacys on my 2002 LS430 a month or so ago (replacing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's). Primacy tires are somewhat quieter, have a higher treadware rating, and hold the road well in rain. I do run mine at around 38 lbs. The Pilot's wore evenly at that pressure. Another vote for Michelin Primacy tires. BTW, including the road hazard warranty, lifetime rotation and balance, and a 4 wheel alignment, mine cost around $600 installed.
Old 04-16-09, 08:34 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hrp
Put Michelin Primacys on my 2002 LS430 a month or so ago (replacing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's). Primacy tires are somewhat quieter, have a higher treadware rating, and hold the road well in rain. I do run mine at around 38 lbs. The Pilot's wore evenly at that pressure. Another vote for Michelin Primacy tires. BTW, including the road hazard warranty, lifetime rotation and balance, and a 4 wheel alignment, mine cost around $600 installed.
HRP,
I'm trying to decide between Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Primacy right now - mostly concerned about noise and ride quality in that order. These are for 19" wheels and both tires are avaiable in the sizes that I need.

I naturally would have THOUGHT that the Primacy would have given the better ride and lower noise, but reading the customer reviews on Tire Rack led me to believe that the PS A/S Plus may be the quiter tire -- it seems that practically everyone raves about it, while there are quiet a few Primacy reviews complaining about more noise than they expected. Of course it's hard to tell what the various consumer's expectations were going in, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two and would appreciate any additional experience you might relate.
Old 04-16-09, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want cushiest ride for the 18", I'm running the 235/50/18
It's also the oem size for the 18" on the LS460.
Old 04-21-09, 04:54 AM
Grisik
Rookie

I replaced my Dunlaps with the Primacys and love them. They are quieter and the hold the road wonderfully, wet or dry.
Old 04-21-09, 05:15 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hearing some good things on the Primacy. Has anyone gone from the Continental ContaProContacts to Primacy and what was the difference?
Old 04-21-09, 05:31 AM
Igoboe
Rookie

Default Tires for my 06 LS430

Thank you guys for reply,

Do you mean Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Michelin Primacy HP?

How about Kumho or Continental?

Thank you again,

IL
Old 04-21-09, 08:00 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote for the Michelin Primacy MXV4 also. Just got them for my '02 and love them.

Did a search on the topic and came up with this recent topic that you might be interested in.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-a-s-plus.html

Good luck
Old 04-21-09, 10:45 AM
danxp
Driver

hi...

new to the forum and to lexus...

what new tires should i get for my ride? i live in the northeast and need to be able to drive in the snow when necessary...

i was reading up on tirerack and it looks like the dunlop sp sport signature is a good fit for my 05 ls430... any thoughts?

or should i just get winter tires and drive them year round?

thanks.
Old 04-21-09, 05:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi Dan. Welcome to the forum! Like you, I joined the Lexus family several weeks ago. Finally got tired of my 02 Acura 3.5RL, and now drive an LS. Greatest car I've ever owned.

Not only mine, but a lot of the LS's I test drove had the Sport Signatures on them. Seem to be a highly rated tire, good reviews, treadware, etc, including a decent price.

Living 20 mins south of Philly, we have the full 4 seasons..hot summers and cold winters, however some years we get 1" of snow, others we get 21" of snow.

I was considering chroming my sport 18" rims and using them 3 seasons. Then getting a 2nd set of rims with snow tires. I'm not sure if I want the hassle of doing the rim swap when November rolls around, not to mention the cost of a 2nd set of rims/tires, etc..although I DID just get my tax refund back..lol.

How far in the northeast are you? Have you ever had a rear wheel drive before? I have not..all my previous cars have been front wheel drive. I know the LS has traction control, but I'm still somewhat leery about next winter.

I'm don't look very favorably with buying "snow tires" and driving on them year round. I'm sure there are others that will say they are quiet, smooth, etc...but in reality, an all season tire will always have better all around characteristics than a snow only tire.

Hopefully this doesn't confuse you even more..lol.

Ara
Old 04-22-09, 06:39 AM
danxp
Driver

i'm in north jersey... i currently have dunlop 5000m tires that seem to have some good life left on them, but they aren't rated too highly on tirerack... where else should i look for reviews?

this is my first rear-drive car that i will be driving year round... used to have an mr2, but then i also had a front drive car to drive in the winter time...

so probably some time around nov/dec i will getting a new set of either... dunlop sp sport signature or michelin primacy mxv4... any other suggestions?

probably won't be going with a winter tire year-round after all...

oh, another reason i want new tires is my car seems to vibrate a bit at higher speeds... is that a wheel/tire balancing issue or a wheel alignment issue? or something else entirely?
Old 04-22-09, 07:15 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by danxp
oh, another reason i want new tires is my car seems to vibrate a bit at higher speeds... is that a wheel/tire balancing issue or a wheel alignment issue? or something else entirely?
Balancing or out-of-round issue. A good tire and wheel properly balanced will run out perfectly smooth at all speeds. Period.