LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 08:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an hour to kill at a Lexus dealer today, and I checked out 2 regular model 05' LS430 at their used lot. Wow, this is the 1st time I noticed all the plastic in the interior. I never realized how much more leather surface the UL interior has! It makes a huge differences! Sorry I hope I don't offend any regular model's owners, but I never realized it until today.

Like blacksc400 said, the UL got a lot more leather. Now can anyone tell me if the CL interior is identical to the UL?
Old 05-02-09, 05:01 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, apparently, the CL has the same leather coverage as UL.
Old 05-02-09, 05:23 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Additional Coverage

Originally Posted by BNR34
... I never realized how much more leather surface the UL interior has! It makes a huge differences! Sorry I hope I don't offend any regular model's owners, but I never realized it until today.

Like blacksc400 said, the UL got a lot more leather. Now can anyone tell me if the CL interior is identical to the UL?
Yes, CL the same. All door walls (f/r), including "handle bar", lower dash under the wood trim (including glove box), center lower console (where shifter and buttons are).

I wonder if it's all true leather from the rear of a cow or if it's faux leather. I mean that's a whole lot of cow to be covering a car. Short of the top of the dash, the whole interior is covered in leather or suede.

Maybe it's all that rich, soft, luxurious corinthian leather left over from the 70' and 80's Chrysler/Cadillac suppliers.
Old 05-02-09, 09:13 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Zee plane! Bozz?! Zee plane!!!

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Maybe it's all that rich, soft, luxurious corinthian leather left over from the 70' and 80's Chrysler/Cadillac suppliers.
I can hear the Chrysler commercial now...Mr Roarke from Fantasy Island, how he said "corinthian leather" with his heavy spanish(?) accent..lol. (remember Tattoo? lolol!) That was one of my fav shows back in the day!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077008/

That link will make you smile.
Old 05-02-09, 06:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if it's all true leather from the rear of a cow or if it's faux leather. I mean that's a whole lot of cow to be covering a car.
Whether it is real or faux leather, it still looks and feels a whole lot nicer/richer then the non-CL/UL's plastic.
Old 05-02-09, 06:51 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Darn right...

Whether it is real or faux leather, it still looks and feels a whole lot nicer/richer then the non-CL/UL's plastic.
two thumbs up to that. No matter how firm and nice feeling the plastic may be, still no match for some padded material based panels.

Also, Mr. Rourk (Ricardo Montalban, rest his soul) was for Cadillac, not Chrysler. LOVE LIVE KHAN !!!!
Old 05-03-09, 03:16 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

In a Mercedes training video that i have, my G500's leather all comes from one cow...i love my cow...there is so much of her spread around my car! Animal lovers will surely love my car when they look inside....
Old 05-03-09, 12:24 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
In a Mercedes training video that i have, my G500's leather all comes from one cow...i love my cow...there is so much of her spread around my car! Animal lovers will surely love my car when they look inside....
The Rolls-Royce Silver Clouds and Silver Shadows could take up to 8 hides to construct the interior seeing as all of the seating surfaces were covered in leather as were the doors and dash. The company contracted with farmers to grow cows for them that would be kept in electric fenses to prevent scratching the hides. Only the best part of each hide was used, the rest being turned into expensive handbags. This is why it is not uncommon to see these old cars with original interiors.
The hides in today's cars are cut much thinner than earlier cars. Some of today's hides are from goats and pigs. Last summer I went to a Rolls-Royce national meet and a guy there had pieces cut from the interiors of today's cars and some from the 60's. There is a big difference in thickness between the two.
I have a 67 Lincoln convertible with the original leather. It is obvious the leather in that car is more durable than in the 06 Ultra I have. I am sure if modern cars interiors were made with the same thickness of earlier cars we would complain about the added cost; still I wish an improvement could be made in durability of today's leather interiors.
Old 05-03-09, 02:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Give and take right... although $60K is expensive, it's just a product of inflation. If everything were to be PRIMO top quality, then a $60K would probably sell for more like $110K. Even some of today's $200K don't have top quality leather like the "old dayz."
Old 05-03-09, 03:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNC
The Rolls-Royce Silver Clouds and Silver Shadows could take up to 8 hides to construct the interior seeing as all of the seating surfaces were covered in leather as were the doors and dash. The company contracted with farmers to grow cows for them that would be kept in electric fenses to prevent scratching the hides. Only the best part of each hide was used, the rest being turned into expensive handbags. This is why it is not uncommon to see these old cars with original interiors.
The hides in today's cars are cut much thinner than earlier cars. Some of today's hides are from goats and pigs. Last summer I went to a Rolls-Royce national meet and a guy there had pieces cut from the interiors of today's cars and some from the 60's. There is a big difference in thickness between the two.
I have a 67 Lincoln convertible with the original leather. It is obvious the leather in that car is more durable than in the 06 Ultra I have. I am sure if modern cars interiors were made with the same thickness of earlier cars we would complain about the added cost; still I wish an improvement could be made in durability of today's leather interiors.
Like you said, it is just a matter of cost. I am sure the leather in a 2009 RR Phantom is still pretty thick. Lexus just can't afford to use expensive leather in the $75k UL or even the $120k LS600, it is just not enough money to support it.

Quality of leather goes up proportionally to the price of the car, from hard vinyl like in the Camry, then it gets softer and thicker as the price goes up, ES, GS, LS, Bentley, RR.......I am sure the leather in the Veyron or Aston Martin One-77 is just as good as the best from the old days.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-03-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 03:58 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Hey guys, how about this instead... instead of looking to sit on prime leather, we all buy prime leather pants instead so we can "sit" on fine leather no matter where we go... ha ha.
Old 05-03-09, 09:04 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Village People?

Hey guys, how about this instead... instead of looking to sit on prime leather, we all buy prime leather pants instead so we can "sit" on fine leather no matter where we go... ha ha.
As long as you don't try to organize a bunch of us GUYS to have a get-together, and play Village People records!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 05-03-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 09:58 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an hour to kill at a Lexus dealer today, and I checked out 2 regular model 05' LS430 at their used lot. Wow, this is the 1st time I noticed all the plastic in the interior. I never realized how much more leather surface the UL interior has! It makes a huge differences! Sorry I hope I don't offend any regular model's owners, but I never realized it until today.

I also LOVE the suede headliner & burnt woodgrain (along with the extra leather), makes the interior so much richer... this is one of the few flaws of the new LS460/460L, you only get this upgrade with LS600hL (I believe I read that the suede headliner in the new LS600hL uses the same manufacturer as the Louis Vuitton Handbag company, pretty sweet, I'm sure the ladies love that) ... I guess my next car has to be LS600hL (since I don't want to lose the extra leather and suede headliner), even though I'm not a huge fan of hybrids...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 05-03-09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 10:10 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

actually the New LS600hL has even more leather than LS430 Ultra, leather cover entire front dash like the Mercedes S600 and AMG... really nice...
Attached Thumbnails Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL-9080817.006.mini9l2.jpg  
Old 05-04-09, 06:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default More cow !!!!

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
actually the New LS600hL has even more leather than LS430 Ultra, leather cover entire front dash like the Mercedes S600 and AMG... really nice...
FOR THE HUMANITIES !!! No wonder cows are mad and swine are passing the flu around. EVEN MORE leather in the LS600h? Wow. I really do like the leather dash though, which kills me with the Genesis, but good thing the Genesis is not executed well.

For me, I think the LS (CL and UL) has just enough leather for my taste. If it were up to me, I would not mind faux leather in the non-seating areas, just don't make the material too apparent that it's not leather.

Anyway, Village People 24-hour marathan party at my house this Saturday !!!! YYYYYY M C A !!!!

Quick Reply: Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL