LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Leather Quality of UL vs. non-UL

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 11:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Now can anyone tell me if the CL interior is identical to the UL?
If I understand correctly, you can get the "upgrade" package in either the CL or the UL in the later years, but they aren't automatically included. IIRC, these packages are called "IN" and "IR" depending upon which color interior the car has. These packages add the extra coverage and cost an extra $1500-$2100 (depending upon the color).

When I was shopping I saw a couple of '05 CL cars that had the additional leather and for some reason those areas looked VERY aged -- leather was hard and the seams had kind of opened up and looked pretty nappy. I assume they'd sat out in the sun a lot or something, but those sections (dash, door panels, console sides) looked like they were from a 20 year old car, Strange thing was that the seats looked normal.
Old 05-04-09, 12:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
If I understand correctly, you can get the "upgrade" package in either the CL or the UL in the later years, but they aren't automatically included. IIRC, these packages are called "IN" and "IR" depending upon which color interior the car has. These packages add the extra coverage and cost an extra $1500-$2100 (depending upon the color).
The more we look into this, the more clear it gets.

Seems like the black leather are semi aniline at $2100. Ecru or saddle are $1460.

I got the Ecru, my window sticker said:

Interior package with comfort leather trim for $1460

Now I know the "comfort leather trim" means more leather on the door and dash!

When I was shopping I saw a couple of '05 CL cars that had the additional leather and for some reason those areas looked VERY aged -- leather was hard and the seams had kind of opened up and looked pretty nappy. I assume they'd sat out in the sun a lot or something, but those sections (dash, door panels, console sides) looked like they were from a 20 year old car, Strange thing was that the seats looked normal.
I guess it directly depends on amount of sun exposure and how the car was treated. The difference of condition between the door panel and seats would be explain by different quality of leather, I would imagine the leather on the dash and door panel are much lower grade then what's on the seats.
Old 05-04-09, 03:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Included...

No, they were not "part of" the price paid for the CL and UL package, but the "IN" (semi analine black) or "IR" (ecru or saddle) were package options you HAD TO TAKE as part of the CL/UL packages. Which means, you couldn't take a CL option for $4K and NOT take the $2K for the semi-analine. It was just an automatic upgrade of added option (at a cost).

What I would like to know is if you could take the IN or IR with say a Modern or base model?
Old 05-04-09, 07:00 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
No, they were not "part of" the price paid for the CL and UL package, but the "IN" (semi analine black) or "IR" (ecru or saddle) were package options you HAD TO TAKE as part of the CL/UL packages. Which means, you couldn't take a CL option for $4K and NOT take the $2K for the semi-analine. It was just an automatic upgrade of added option (at a cost).

What I would like to know is if you could take the IN or IR with say a Modern or base model?
Are you sure that the IR or IN package was mandatory with CL? Of course they may be wrong, but I've seen a number of leading Lexus dealers advertising cars to be CL that did not have the additional leather trim. Plus I've seen a number of these cars that were claimed to be CL (and they had the headlight washers, the presence of which seems to support the CL claim AFAIK) but didn't have the additional leather...
Old 05-05-09, 05:54 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following link has pricing sheets for 1990-2005 LS

http://www.lexus.com/contact/model_s...ricing_ls.html

If you look at page 3 for the 2005 model it says the upgrade interiors are required. It says the same for 2004.

In 2005, UL and CL both had laser cruise and if you paid the $2K plus for the PCS UL or CL then you got radar cruise control.

I think a lot of dealer's writeups didn't mention the interior upgrade and it is hard to tell from a writeup or picture if it has the interior upgrade.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005LSspecs.pdf (78.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 05-09-09, 06:40 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they were Katrina cars with new seats?

Just wondered if anyone knows a way to shrink a stretched out seat? Appears that my little lady from Long Island (previous owner) may have let her Big Butt husband drive a few times. Nonetheless, I have a slight crease in the back of the driver seat bottom. Checked a few leather sites and found out that leather pants can be shrunk by wetting them and letting them dry. Don't know if this would work on the seat? By the way, when I showed a Lexus service tech she said "Whoa, looks like its stretched out, nothing we can do". I swear she then looked at MY butt as I got back in the car.
Old 05-10-09, 07:09 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Butt but...

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
... Checked a few leather sites and found out that leather pants can be shrunk by wetting them and letting them dry. Don't know if this would work on the seat? By the way, when I showed a Lexus service tech she said "Whoa, looks like its stretched out, nothing we can do". I swear she then looked at MY butt as I got back in the car.
Like PeeWee Herman said "but but, everyone's got a big but..."
Old 05-11-09, 01:02 AM
PHCMA
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was surprised to see that the UN is the top dog and not the UL..

pg3
Old 05-11-09, 08:35 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
actually the New LS600hL has even more leather than LS430 Ultra, leather cover entire front dash like the Mercedes S600 and AMG... really nice...
Truly intoxicating. I remember sitting in one during the Taste of Lexus event, and it felt very luxurious in the cabin.
Old 05-11-09, 06:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Intoxicating indeed...

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Truly intoxicating. I remember sitting in one during the Taste of Lexus event, and it felt very luxurious in the cabin.
We test drove the LS600L and the LS460L during the NJ Taste of Lexus open road test drive and both were indeed very impressive from a "new" standpoint, but I still ended up getting my LS430 after that. Price being the main factor.. but I really do like the LS430's overall design better. When we first got into the 460, I thought the engine was off and I almost pressed the start button again, but I saw the tach at 500 rpm and realized the car was on.
Old 05-12-09, 09:11 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
We test drove the LS600L and the LS460L during the NJ Taste of Lexus open road test drive and both were indeed very impressive from a "new" standpoint, but I still ended up getting my LS430 after that. Price being the main factor.. but I really do like the LS430's overall design better. When we first got into the 460, I thought the engine was off and I almost pressed the start button again, but I saw the tach at 500 rpm and realized the car was on.
Even though the LS460/600 got a few nicer features, I also like the overall design/layout of the LS430 better.

In general, I don't like the new L-finesse design/layout. I believe a full size luxury car suppose to be bulky looking to provide that substantial feeling, with huge windows for a big panoramic view.

Stylish design with slim windows belong on a sports car, not on a luxury limo.
Old 05-12-09, 10:19 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Yeah yeah...

Originally Posted by BNR34
.. In general, I don't like the new L-finesse design/layout. I believe a full size luxury car suppose to be bulky looking to provide that substantial feeling, with huge windows for a big panoramic view.

Stylish design with slim windows belong on a sports car, not on a luxury limo.
OH YEAH !!! BIG and bulky. The LS460 probably has a rear glass about the same size, if not bigger than the LS430, but because it's angles so flat, that you get less rear view than in the 430.

LOVE LIVE MY LS430 !!!!