LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can a Smart Key from one LS be programmed to another?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 03:12 PM
Omied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a Smart Key from one LS be programmed to another?

Hi, I was told in the past that a Smart Key from one LS430 can be programmed to another. I know the metal key portion has to be cut by the dealer, and once it's cut, you can't change that. But does anyone have accurate info regarding the programming for the remote portion? I'm getting the run around from 3 different Lexus dealers.

I personally don't see why you couldn't, they're the same part #...
Old 04-19-09, 06:42 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Hey Omied.

I looked into purchasing a key from ebay after I picked my car up from you so that I could provide a second key to my spouse for when she drives the LS. When I did some research on it, it sounded like it is not something you could do on your own, and that a dealership would need to program it for you. As far as the cut key, if your replacing a broken key fob, you should be able to take apart the old and put the cut key in the new fob.

I did a search just now and came up with a few links that might help you get what you need from the dealer. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=3342843
Old 04-19-09, 06:47 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I put a link up to a post about "Hidden Features of the LS" that might help you sway a customer towards and LS, but there is about five pages of random post to sort through. Here is a list of what most people came up with.

Cory

1.) Ask a dealer to print out a list of the variables that can be set to your preference by them.

2.) There is a sliding drawer under the driver/passenger seat.

3.) “Hidden” trunk release button near the rear license plate.

4.)There's a rotary **** underneath driver's side dash that adjust the loudness of the beep when you lock and unlock your car

5.)You can adjust the maximum setting of steering wheel adjustment. With the steering wheel in all the way up (down; retracted; extended) click the **** 8 times in the same direction, it will extend the steering wheel even further. It does save setting and is helpful to large/small drivers.

6.)Lexus dealer can control the amount of doors that open with regard to the smart key.

7.)You can get the windows/sunroof to open while holding the unlock button on your remote. Leave the ignition off and sit inside. With the master remote in your hand hold down the lock and trunk buttons at the same time. On the display it will cycle through three setup options. One of those options is to open all of the doors.

8.)Head lights will turn off if you press Lock on the key twice

9.)Command List for voice navigation
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Prius_NAV_Voice_commands.html

10.)When you put the L/R mirror on and you put your car on reverse, the mirrors turn downwards allowing you to see the floor behind.

11.)If you hold the unlock button on the remote down for more than 2seconds all the windows roll down.

12.)SMOG Filter: hold down the 'recirculate air' button a few seconds (its the button with three settings (outside/AUTO/inside) on the left of the NAVI screen), and the Smog filter settings will come up; you can adjust how sensitive your LS should be to smog. (Note: car must be stopped for this function to work).

13.)NAVI screen color: go to Options>Information>Screen Setting and there's a choice of colors. (04+)

14.)Smartkey: If you leave the key inside the car and try to lock the vehicle using the door buttons it can detect the key is inside the car and warns you with a long beep ...how does it know whether the key is just inside the door or just outside in your pocket? Beats me.

15.)Smartkey (2): You can assign seat setting presets to each individual key (husband and wife for example) by pairing a key with a seat position preset button (1, 2 or 3). From then on whenever that key unlocks the car the seat will automatically adjust to the right position without having to press the seat memory button.

16.)Bluetooth Phone: You can get around the "can't dial when the car is moving" problem by simply dialing the number from the phone in your pocket - it will still come through hands-free once the connection is made.

17.)Bluetooth Phone (2): If you have a PDA that uses your bluetooth phone to sync it won't work while the phone is connected to the car. To get around this temporarily you can tell the car to try to connect to a different phone that you have previously paired (just borrow one for this purpose). As it attempts to pair with the other phone (the other phone doesn't have to be present for this to happen) it will release the current phone and therefore allow you to sync your PDA. Just reverse the process to pair the phone with the car again afterwards.

18.)Bluetooth Phone (3): If you switch off the car during a handsfree conversation the phone will offer you option of transferring the call back to your phone to continue it (works on Sony Ericsson T610 at least).

19.)Door Storage Pockets: You can actually pull these and they will swing outwards 45 degrees to more easily get to items.

20.)Incline parking safety feature
If your LS 430 is parked on a slope, and the front wheels are not angled properly (such as in the direction of the slope), your LS 430 ignition WILL NOT WORK. The car automatically locks up the ignition, and the car will not start until you have reoriented the front wheels. This can occur on a slight incline of around 15 degrees, and all the way likely to 40. 45 degrees...To resolve the ignition lockup (and indeed, no amount of twisting or key-insertion will turn the ignition on), one must have one's foot on the brake, rotate the front wheels from side to side, until a safe wheel angle is achieved. Then, turn the ignition slowly; if it is still stuck, redo the wheels. Once the car has detected a safe wheel position, the car ignition will work normally and you can drive off--safely.

21.)NAVI Memory Point Chimes
Assign an icon to your memory point, which will take you to the icon selection menu---there you can select 'special icons' which emit chimes when you approach your destination.

22.) There is a third sunvisor directly over the rear view mirror you can pull down to block the sun.

Last edited by bigcory; 04-19-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 06:47 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SmartKey Programming

Originally Posted by Omied
Hi, I was told in the past that a Smart Key from one LS430 can be programmed to another. I know the metal key portion has to be cut by the dealer, and once it's cut, you can't change that. But does anyone have accurate info regarding the programming for the remote portion? I'm getting the run around from 3 different Lexus dealers.

I personally don't see why you couldn't, they're the same part #...
Like the Big guy said, you can't do it yourself through crazy key combo and lock unlock or anything. It's something that either a Lexus dealer, or a keysmith with the programming computer can do. I took my Lexus back to the non-Lexus dealership that I got my vehicle from and they just brought in their own locksmith who programmed keys and he cut and programmed it.

As for whether one key can be used for another, definitely can do. I ask the locksmith and he said all he does is erased the previous coding, then program the new coding. It took him less than five minutes to program. Also, the metal portion of the key can be ordered separately also, so it's not like you have to forever has someone else's key on your fob.
Old 04-19-09, 09:35 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought keys from E-Bay and the dealer could not get them to work. I asked the seller from e-bay if he had codes, and he said all he had were keys, and was not a lock smith. Cost $35 plus shipping.

Called Swell in texas, and they told me to send a copy of my title to them, or registration copy. and they would cut the metal key and ship NEW key for $115 plus shipping. Local Toyota dealer programmed it for me for free.. They get my oil changes, and drive 130 miles one way for nearest Lexus dealer.

That was a great list... thanks,,, There is also a string inside the trunk on drivers side that will unlock the gas filler door.
Old 04-20-09, 01:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The remote itself has to be reprogrammed.

The metal portion is held by one small screw that can be undone. That piece is also separately sold. Our forum sponsor www.sewellpartsonline.com stocks them at very competitive prices. Email them for the latest discount code on keys for CL members, as they seem to be having various promotions throughout the year.
Old 04-20-09, 10:49 AM
Omied
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the great info guys.