LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Aftermarket Springs on Stock struts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 03:11 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Springs on Stock struts?

So would YOU put stock struts and aftermarket springs on the LS430?

OR

Would YOU put aftermarket all on the suspension?

I need a new Strut, so I thought since I was going to have Lexus replace the springs and struts all at one time so I wont waste another trip to replace springs later.

Open to all suggestions - I need them quick though, my brakes are very bad too, so I'll just have Lexus replace everything at once.
Old 04-25-09, 03:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

We'll, damping will suffer if you replace stock springs for after market springs with a firmer design. Think of it this way, the shock will work more then twice as hard, and with limited travel to keep the tires on the ground (this is actually why shocks exist). You might get away with this on smooth country roads for a little longer then someone in the city, but you cannot escape the inevitable. Your stock shocks will overwork, start leaking, eventually leading to wheel hoping and other issues that will effect tire wear and other suspension components.

So in short, get firmer shocks that will provide you the necessary damping ability. My eibachs on my GS is stated to only lower an inch or so all around, so i thought i could get away with stock shock to preserve the ride (they were replaced with NEW OEM ones), but it got worse, and so did brake dive, and tire wear issues.

Note: Check the FAQ for a how-to replace pads with pics, its a piece of cake.
Old 04-26-09, 11:05 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
We'll, damping will suffer if you replace stock springs for after market springs with a firmer design. Think of it this way, the shock will work more then twice as hard, and with limited travel to keep the tires on the ground (this is actually why shocks exist). You might get away with this on smooth country roads for a little longer then someone in the city, but you cannot escape the inevitable. Your stock shocks will overwork, start leaking, eventually leading to wheel hoping and other issues that will effect tire wear and other suspension components.

So in short, get firmer shocks that will provide you the necessary damping ability. My eibachs on my GS is stated to only lower an inch or so all around, so i thought i could get away with stock shock to preserve the ride (they were replaced with NEW OEM ones), but it got worse, and so did brake dive, and tire wear issues.

Note: Check the FAQ for a how-to replace pads with pics, its a piece of cake.
Thanks Moe,

I should have probably searched first, Im sure it has been covered so many times by now.
Old 04-27-09, 09:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

TJW98LS,

I just went thru this, so I know about this subject.

If the lowering spring's spring rate is very high, that would wear out the stock shocks faster. My advice is, go with a lowering springs that is not very stiff like the Eibach or Tanabe NF210, then go with the OEM sport suspenion shocks, then they would be pretty well match.
Old 04-27-09, 10:16 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
TJW98LS,

I just went thru this, so I know about this subject.

If the lowering spring's spring rate is very high, that would wear out the stock shocks faster. My advice is, go with a lowering springs that is not very stiff like the Eibach or Tanabe NF210, then go with the OEM sport suspenion shocks, then they would be pretty well match.
Are the sport tuned suspension only available on the 04-06 LS430?
Old 04-28-09, 08:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Are the sport tuned suspension only available on the 04-06 LS430?
It was available in all years from 01'-06'.
Old 04-28-09, 11:51 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you lowering it or just getting aftermarket springs as it is not clear in the first post.?
Higher spring rates will cause less wear on the shocks as it will not allow the shock to travel as much , thus reducing friction on the seals and then making them last longer.

Lowering springs will cause the shock to have a new center point for friction on the shock as it is now at a new point. Again it will not cause more wear just a new point as it will have a higher spring rate as well. Unless the springs are super low that cause botteming out of the shock it will be fine.

So if you are changing springs in a 5 year old car , swap out both for best mating of parts. Also replace all 4 corners at a time never one peice as it will not be linear.
Old 04-29-09, 07:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skperformance
Higher spring rates will cause less wear on the shocks as it will not allow the shock to travel as much , thus reducing friction on the seals and then making them last longer.
I disagreed, but I have no desire to argue
Old 04-30-09, 04:30 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Are you lowering it or just getting aftermarket springs as it is not clear in the first post.?

Lowering springs will cause the shock to have a new center point for friction on the shock as it is now at a new point. Again it will not cause more wear just a new point as it will have a higher spring rate as well. Unless the springs are super low that cause botteming out of the shock it will be fine.

So if you are changing springs in a 5 year old car , swap out both for best mating of parts. Also replace all 4 corners at a time never one peice as it will not be linear.
Keep in mind aftermarket shocks are SHORTER, and stock shocks aren't exactly as stiff, and were made for long springs (hence the bouncy ride). Since the springs are shorter, the shock will spend most of its time compressed and working harder in bumps since its softer, hence over working. You will also notice the car reacting AFTER the bump, which causes an uneasy driving experience.

I've noticed that by the time i'm through with my commute (especially through parts of D.C. with sub-par roads) my shocks have lost all their damping ability

I really miss my bilsteins HD's i had on my older LS400... and i think its time to get a set to replace the ones on the 5K old OEM shocks on the GS. I feel like my entire suspension is taking a beating with these soft OEM shocks. (note that highway driving is SUPERB, and COMFY, problem is when driving through a city like D.C.)
Old 04-30-09, 08:18 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Bilsteins is a dream! I am so bum that they don't offer it for the LS430

A big reason I want a LS400 is because I can run bilsteins on it

Bilsteins/Eibach Pro-kit is the dream team for a daily driver!
Old 04-30-09, 09:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'll have to side with SKPerformance on this, higher spring rate (aka stiffer) springs compress less under load and therefore will wear out a shock LESS quickly than the same length "softer" spring.

simply put, the spring that offers the most lowering ability will wear the shocks out the fastest unless you get a short-stroke shock. mild springs like Eibach, H&R, or whatever else is offered for the LS430 that lowers ~1.3-1.5inches or LESS you should be fine running on any oem-type shock.

Tanabe NF-210 on a KYB shock should be a good combo for you.
Old 04-30-09, 02:07 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i'll have to side with SKPerformance on this, higher spring rate (aka stiffer) springs compress less under load and therefore will wear out a shock LESS quickly than the same length "softer" spring.

simply put, the spring that offers the most lowering ability will wear the shocks out the fastest unless you get a short-stroke shock. mild springs like Eibach, H&R, or whatever else is offered for the LS430 that lowers ~1.3-1.5inches or LESS you should be fine running on any oem-type shock.

Tanabe NF-210 on a KYB shock should be a good combo for you.
Yes I am trying to lower the car mildly. I will be driving this car a lot on the road and just need it lowered about an inch. I want the lifespan of OEM, but a more sportier drive and less 4X4 look. The shocks on the car are currently the Sport -Tuned shocks. I will be replacing all shocks and springs.
Old 04-30-09, 05:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sport-tuned OEM's plus NFKit, or Eibachs should be good
Old 04-30-09, 06:29 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sport-tuned OEM's plus NFKit, or Eibachs should be good
My local dealer told me that they dont sell the Sport-Tuned OEM's anymore.

- I just checked Carson, and they sell the front Sport-Tuned Suspension. Does anyone know why it's cheaper than the standard suspension?

The Rear Struts are only $49 a piece, and the fronts are $117 a piece.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 04-30-09 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 09:41 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably it is so cheap because it is a clear out product , for that price , i would buy it before someone else on here buys the last pair.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Springs on Stock struts?