Remote Starter Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 12:04 PM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Recommendations

hi...

got my first lexus a couple of weeks ago and i love it... i'm thinking of getting a remote starter installed...

can anyone recommend a good shop to do the installation in the north jersey area? also, what kind should i get? don't need the alarm part...

also, i've got a couple of other questions...
- when you pop the trunk how far up is the trunk lid supposed to go up? mine only props up a very tiny bit, barely noticeable that it's even open...
- when i turn my cooled seats on, i can't feel a thing... is this normal? does my filter need to be replaced or something?

i have an 05 ls430 w/sport rims, 48k mi...

oh, what's a better choice for a tire to be used year round in the northeast? michelin primacy mxv4(~$230 per tire) or dunlop sport signature(~$150 per tire)?

thanks.
Old 04-29-09, 06:17 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello, and WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!
Congrats on the ride!
Directly to your questions:

I have remote starter installed on my car. I chose Viper 5900. Yes, it is expensive but it's the best; I did my research on that for a few weeks.
I installed it in NY, so no help with the shop.

Trunk. Yes it only pops up a little, barely visible. You'll get used to it.

Cooled seats. There were many threads on this forum about ventilated seats not cooling well. When it's really hot there is virtually no difference between on and off.

Tires. Did you look at these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position
Old 04-29-09, 09:48 PM
danxp
Driver

those tires are pretty nice!! i'm going to have to consider those as well now... only problem with those is that they're not as good in the snow as the other two...

that viper remote starter is also an alarm too, right? i only want the remote starter part, would you recommend the viper brand for the remote-starter-only version?

also, are the tpms sensors built into the tire valve stems or is it inside the rim somewhere?

thanks
Old 04-29-09, 10:13 PM
danxp
Driver

ok... i actually found out that the 04-06 models didn't have any special valve/stem... it apparently uses the abs or something like that to do the calculation... the ls460s have the sensors in the stem from what i understand...

i guess i won't have to buy a special valve/stem after all...
Old 04-30-09, 01:54 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just about to finishing install my remote starter. It is a Viper 5101. Plain and simple remote starter only.
Old 04-30-09, 05:05 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

I am looking at an 06 with the smart key, will a remote start work with this car?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-30-09, 07:05 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by ntran18
I am just about to finishing install my remote starter. It is a Viper 5101. Plain and simple remote starter only.
doesn't the car require the key's chip in the car for it to be started? do they have some way around that? and if they can get around that, wouldn't it be easier to steal?

it looks like the lowest price i could find is $80+tax/shipping... i may end up getting this... i'm just gonna have to find a qualified installer... hmmm...

thanks for the good advice...
Old 04-30-09, 10:18 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

There are a few options with this remote starter to get around the engine immobilzer and still preserve the security. I went with a bypass modules that require a spare chip/key that you hide. I bought a loose key off of ebay and cut off the blade and programed the car to accept it. Even if a thief do find the bypass box, it's not going do them much good. There are also 'data modules' that will not require a spare chip and also integrates into the data system. It will fire off the door lock/unlock, trunk, etc. I used the 3 aux to turn on the PC, roll up the windows, & ??? (maybe activate my seat settings after wife takes my car ). I chose this one because you can do a lot with it and still keep it simple.

Realistically, expect to spend ~$150 for the starter & parts like the bypass module and relays. Installation costs, can't help you there.

From what I understand in the manual, it should work with the smart key also. Since I haven't done this, don't hold me to it. Now if I were to have one I could find out...
Old 05-03-09, 06:35 AM
gerenr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who posted their experiences and work-arounds with remote starter systems on Lexus Smart Key models.
Just bought a 2010 RX 350 with Smart Key system. WARNING ... dealer-installed remote-start is NOT an available option from Lexus with Smart Key. This is very disappointing, since I really appreciate remote start, especially in winter; for example, after an ice storm (I have no gagrage.) My dealer said remote start is too difficult for Lexus to consider because of complications with the Smart Key system. However, He did give me the name of an independant and reputable installer who has, according to him, succeeded in installing remote start on Lexus Smart Key models. I will contact him and post my experience here. Meantime, I would like to read more from others with experiences with remote start installations compatible with the Lexus smart key system.
Old 05-03-09, 08:50 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default look forward to more info

Originally Posted by gerenr
Thanks to all who posted their experiences and work-arounds with remote starter systems on Lexus Smart Key models.
I will contact him and post my experience here. Meantime, I would like to read more from others with experiences with remote start installations compatible with the Lexus smart key system.
Agreed! Thanks for all the documentation and experiences so far. I am looking forward to even more information posted on this thread, as this is a mod I will definitely be doing. (or have someone do it for me)
Old 05-03-09, 11:26 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Just finished yesterday. Works beautifully. Going to post a wiring plan in the Electronics forum. It's for a 01 GS & Viper 5101, but it will give you some directions.