LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

adjusting the front rod sensors manually on an 05 UL

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 05:41 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default adjusting the front rod sensors manually on an 05 UL

so a lot of people are now aware of the gangsta lean that our stock UL's all have. My question is that if these cars have such an awkward uneven stance (lean) that when they are driving does this level out automatically?? most people say that yes the car will level it self out while you are driving. if this is correct here is my question or dilemma...

i tried my best to level mines out by adjusting the front sensors rods, i think i did a fairly good job. i kept measuring the front wheel gaps while the car was running and got it to within 1cm of each other. This difference in height got me so frustrated and pissed off.

When i first started to adjust the front sensors i didn't take into account that they may be different by design or stock if you will and i dropped each front rod 3 full sensor bar rotations, measured them, and one side was like a 1.5 inches lower (driver side was much higher). it took me a while to get them as close as i think they are right now...

but if the sensors auto adjust like everyone keeps saying, does this mean that since mines are about even from my own adjusting when the car is parked that when they auto adjust that they will be way off when driving.??? can anyone explain some more science to this??
Old 05-01-09, 11:23 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You couldn't get the fenders even because the car was not on a perfectly flat surface. Even though you think it was, it probably wasn't. Your concrete driveway is not flat. You must find a surface that is very flat and even, or else you'll never get it adjusted correctly. The flattest surface I found was in a parking garage, the garage was constructed in modular concrete sections which I found to be pretty darn flat.
Old 05-02-09, 02:05 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
so a lot of people are now aware of the gangsta lean that our stock UL's all have. My question is that if these cars have such an awkward uneven stance (lean) that when they are driving does this level out automatically?? most people say that yes the car will level it self out while you are driving. if this is correct here is my question or dilemma...

i tried my best to level mines out by adjusting the front sensors rods, i think i did a fairly good job. i kept measuring the front wheel gaps while the car was running and got it to within 1cm of each other. This difference in height got me so frustrated and pissed off.

When i first started to adjust the front sensors i didn't take into account that they may be different by design or stock if you will and i dropped each front rod 3 full sensor bar rotations, measured them, and one side was like a 1.5 inches lower (driver side was much higher). it took me a while to get them as close as i think they are right now...

but if the sensors auto adjust like everyone keeps saying, does this mean that since mines are about even from my own adjusting when the car is parked that when they auto adjust that they will be way off when driving.??? can anyone explain some more science to this??
Thats a good questions. I took me A LOT f tweaking, yet its not exactly even. Sometimes the pass side front is higher, sometimes its lower. Might have to do with previous trip and passenger occupancy. (originally, i had issues of dead space when the steering wheel was centered, which prompted the immediate need for adjustment)
Old 05-02-09, 04:10 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah, thanks guys i will try to measure it while in a parking garage and adjust as necessary, i'm just wondering if this means that it doesn't have to automatically adjust then while actually driving since its already really close to being level...?

what is dead space exactly?? ^ ^ ^
Old 05-03-09, 03:52 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

what is dead space exactly?? ^ ^ ^
the amount of space the steering wheel turns from the center each way before actually influencing the suspension. Its about an inch to the left or right when the steering wheel is centered. (very aggravating on the highway.)
Old 05-03-09, 08:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

okay, okay, what exactly do you mean by influencing the suspension ^ ^ ^?? How is the suspension influenced by turning the steering wheel? i guess i really never paid to much attention to these things until now, but i am very curious now so please explain splain it me. thanks,
Old 05-03-09, 01:16 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

okay, okay, what exactly do you mean by influencing the suspension ^ ^ ^?? How is the suspension influenced by turning the steering wheel? i guess i really never paid to much attention to these things until now, but i am very curious now so please explain splain it me. thanks,
By influencing the suspension, i meant turn the wheels.

Usually when you have worn suspension bushings, the car becomes less responsive to steering wheel input. This creates a dead spot on the steering wheel when it centered. When that happens, you have to constantly adjust steering angle (ever so slightly) on the highway so the car does not wonder. The steering loses its "tight" feeling so to speak.

Now... this can happen when the airbags are not evenly inflated (more so when on a left to right issue then back and front air bags.)

I was experiancing excessive dead space due to the drivers side being much higher, so i lowered it a little bit to match the passenger side to retain that tight steering feel. Feel free to ask any questions if that didnt make sense, im not the best at descriptive writing
Old 05-03-09, 03:43 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i understand completely now, and this is sorta what i was thinking you were talking about but for some reason i just assumed it was some really technical thing like a slight camber to the wheels while at certain heights or certain speeds, i do sort of have a habit of thinking something is a lot more complicated than it really is. yes i noticed a lot of 'dead space' (this is just not what i referred to it as in my head) when i first got my UL too. i notice a lot less 'dead space' when i have my controller set on 7 or even less on 9 for that matter (much more responsive steering wheel and suspension).

cool, now i know one more car term (dead space) and i'll be sure to throw that one around next time i am at a lex meet or a car speak circle.