LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Custom Luxury LS430: did it have extra leather on doors and console??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 05:28 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the CL instead of the UL simply because I needed the ski passthrough. There is no trunk passthrough on the UL, so that was out. Luckily the CL has all the good stuff from the drivers seat forward.

+1 on the laser cruise. I use mine a lot and love this feature.
Old 05-01-09, 06:53 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Another Q: does the CL have the side laminated glass/windows that the UL have??
Old 05-01-09, 07:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default That's it...

Originally Posted by tigmd99
What I posted before that the UL has over the CL... IS IT ! The UL doesn't have anything else that the CL doesn't have.

The double pane glass is a big plus in reducing exterior noise. I test drove a ML and CL back-to-back and very noticeable the difference.
Old 05-01-09, 07:34 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Anothery Yes - definitely so. I too drove my CL and an ML back to back while shopping for my LS. The CL was quieter than the ML around the front side glass area for sure. Both cars had 18" rims which is noisier than the car with 17" rims.

Luckily for me the dealer had no clue what a CL was. They had the ML and CL priced the same, with the CL being in much better condition with all the extra goodies like laser cruise, suede headliner, semi-aniline leather, etc.

If you want an Ultra, but without the rear seat stuff and need the rear seat passthrough, the CL is the car to buy.

Last edited by wanderer99; 05-01-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 08:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Custom has the "suede" too. Not a UL exclusive.

The only things you can't get on the CL that are "standard" on the UL are:

1. air suspension (although some claim it was an option, but I think it might be a myth)

2. rear massage seats, coupled with the audio controls on the handrest.

3. rear cool box

4. rear door sunshade

You do "lose" something with the UL and that is trunk space. The ice box takes up trunk space. Everything special with the UL is in the back, or you can't see... so if you're a big time driver, you'll never enjoy anything back there.
You left out a few things, only the UL have rear cooling seats, everything else are heated only on the rear. The UL got a separate AC unit in the back with an air purifier, that is the main reason for the smaller trunk, not the ice box
Old 05-01-09, 11:28 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the cl and ul trim got better glass than the other models?
Old 05-02-09, 02:56 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

yes..........
Old 05-02-09, 05:15 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Better in what?

Originally Posted by REV-01
Yes, better in terms of sound insulation and probably temp containment too, but not better in price. The price for the double pane is obviously more $160 vs. $116 for the single pane glass. hopefully I never have to replace them. I've seen people get "frosting" effect on the glass from the laminate peeling or something over time and it usually occurs along the bottom of the window, so look out for that.

BNR is right, he/she went into the finer details of the all the goodies in the back. Again, if you don't have a chaeuffeur and you're the main driver, then all that "ultra" stuff in the back is either sitting there doing nothing, or you're passengers are enjoying it.

Someone wrote about non-Lexus dealers selling ML and CL at the same price. I found that to be true at a few places. They tend to see the "car" itself and whether or not is has NAV or not and that's it. No Nav $20K, with nav $22K and they don't distinguish thereafter. Of course these dealers are few and far apart, but they are out there. So search for them...
Old 05-02-09, 06:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

BNR is right, he/she went into the finer details of the all the goodies in the back.
I am a "he"

Again, if you don't have a chaeuffeur and you're the main driver, then all that "ultra" stuff in the back is either sitting there doing nothing, or you're passengers are enjoying it.
Sometime after a big dinner, I'll sit in the back and have my wife drive me home

Someone wrote about non-Lexus dealers selling ML and CL at the same price. I found that to be true at a few places. They tend to see the "car" itself and whether or not is has NAV or not and that's it. No Nav $20K, with nav $22K and they don't distinguish thereafter. Of course these dealers are few and far apart, but they are out there. So search for them...
Some non-Lexus dealers have no clue about what the cars has other then what they can see, they only know about the NAV or rim size.....17s or 18s...... better for us customer
Old 05-02-09, 06:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by REV-01
All the side glasses are twice as thick, block out twice as much wind noise
Old 05-02-09, 07:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Heavy

Originally Posted by BNR34
And twice as heavy... ha ha, but nothing the almost 300 hp and over 300 ft*lb of torque can't handle.

It tints mighty fine. I only tinted my fronts 50%, but they look at dark at my 20% on back.
Old 05-02-09, 09:31 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Hmm..I'm splitting hairs here, but, do they block out more wind noise, or just more exterior noise?

Wind noise comes from the seams and transitions and where there are gaps and non-flat surfaces on the vehicle. Normal and 2x thick glass should actually produce the same amount of wind noise. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but I'd say most (more than 50%) of the wind noise would come from the front/front glass-windshield? And the FRONT glass is not 2x thicker.

Also, the 2x thick glass should undoubtedly prevent more noise infiltration, but is their sound dampening capabilities going to be exactly proportional to the thickness of the glass? In other words, are they REALLY 2x more quiet...or just MORE quiet?

Sorry for the deep thoughts...I just got home from a night of drinking & watching the Celtics game...lol!
Old 05-03-09, 03:01 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

LS430inDE, you are probably right. The newer luxury cars have an "acoustic windshield". This windshield supposedly makes the car quieter by decreasing windnoise. In addition, this windshield also helps with sound dispersion in the vehicle (for better acoustics from sound system). I believe the Avalon Limited (only, lower grades do not have it) have this. My guess is that the thicker laminated side windows in the LS430 decrease exterior noise as you noted.

BTW, if you write this well and think this deeply after drinking, then maybe you should be the neighborhood drunk...think about what good you can do to mankind!
Old 05-03-09, 08:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

I was just messing with you on this one alexus, i guess i left work early on friday afternoon after posting that "if you want the suede you have to get a UL bit" and i forgot to write j/k until now... so yeah j/k but its prolly not as funny 2 days later as it may have been 2 hours later,, well it was funny in my mind when i wrote it at least.

oh wait heres another good one for you guys. If you want the wood grain steering wheel you'll have to get a UL then... J/K
Old 05-03-09, 03:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Gangsta rappers

... BTW, if you write this well and think this deeply after drinking, then maybe you should be the neighborhood drunk...think about what good you can do to mankind!
LOL ... too much...

Originally Posted by sojah
I was just messing with you on this one alexus, i guess i left work early on friday afternoon after posting that "if you want the suede you have to get a UL bit" and i forgot to write j/k until now... so yeah j/k but its prolly not as funny 2 days later as it may have been 2 hours later,, well it was funny in my mind when i wrote it at least.

oh wait heres another good one for you guys. If you want the wood grain steering wheel you'll have to get a UL then... J/K
you and LS430inDE need to hook up down there in Maryland/Delaware and have a big block party !!! Oh, btw, the wood was standard on all trims, not just UL. stay kool... like Hawaiian Punch.

Quick Reply: Custom Luxury LS430: did it have extra leather on doors and console??